Peer pressure

Options
I have been really good about not succumbing but a recent post about alcohol made me think: Why do people do this stuff?

Saturday I went to a potluck lunch. I know the hostess loves her wine so I brought a couple of bottle with me. I'm allergic so I don't drink it. Also, I don't drink that much to begin with and when I do is usually with dinner. Sure enough everyone drinking. People kept offering me wine and I kept declining and telling everyone about my allergy and my drinking habits (or lack of them thereof). Wouldn't you know that the hostess' sister actually shows up with a giant margarita and says she made it just for me? I said I was touched she went through such trouble but that I was not drinking. Then she proceeded to try to convince me for no less than 15 minutes. Sheesh... It's a good thing I'm not a recovering alcoholic (and for all she knew I might be) because I would have certainly fallen off the wagon.

Why do people feel the need to shove drinks or food in your face? Have you ever done that to someone? I don't think I have but I will certainly make sure I never do.

Replies

• greenstar25
    greenstar25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me when I am invited at my neighbor's place. We have known each other for 12 years now, and I've been telling them since the beginning that I am not into alcohol because I just don't like it. And yet, every time I go over there they try to force it on me, and every time I say no thank you. You can tell that it upsets them, I have no idea why....
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's weird and annoying, right? I've found that the most effective way to handle it is to look the person in the eye and plainly say " I said NO." Yes, they likely think I'm a witch for it but I've never had a person keep pushing after that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's annoying for sure, but I guess it doesn't bother me that much because I really don't care about alcohol, so it's easy for me to say no (even 10 times, lol).

It's more annoying if they're offering something I love but I'm trying to practice moderation.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It's annoying for sure, but I guess it doesn't bother me that much because I really don't care about alcohol, so it's easy for me to say no (even 10 times, lol).

It's more annoying if they're offering something I love but I'm trying to practice moderation.

It's easy for me to say no as well. I just find it annoying to have to say it again and again and to have people actually preparing drinks for me when I don't want them nor am I going to drink them.

While I was on vacation I ordered a drink one day and after I left the restaurant I realized that I forgot to drink it so, yeah, it is not a big deal to not have it :laugh:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I tend to run into food pushers more than drink pushers for some reason.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I tend to run into food pushers more than drink pushers for some reason.

Yeah, they are equally annoying. I always tell my son not to tell people when he's on a diet because that's when people start pushing food. "Oh, just this once won't kill you" and stuff like that. My recommendation is to just say "If I eat any more I'll puke". That usually stops them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    It happens because people think others are just like them. Just be polite and turn it away.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    I seriously cannot stand drunks. No use. I rarely (maybe once every few years) consume alcohol. What I have found over the years, is that the alcohol pushers have a serious alcohol problem and their guilt and shame is reduced when others are consuming. Suggest AA to them. Seriously.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I've worked at places that when you go out, it's sociable to drink, if you don't than it appears as if you do not want to' join in'.

I personally don't like to drink at work events other than a glass of wine, because I need to make sure my filter is up.

I typically would order a sparkling water with lime, which looks like a gin and tonic. Reduced any pressure.