Is this normal?

RHOyalT
RHOyalT Posts: 204 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I am just starting to get into exercising and tonight I did 15 situps. I felt the "burn" in my upper abdomen. Afterward, I wa in a seated position and the muscles in my stomach started to contract. I had about 5 minutes of "charlie horses" in my stomach. It cramped so much that I almost vomited. The cramps were VERY intense (about a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10) and left me almost breathless. I couldn't stand, couldn't stretch and couldn't massage it out.
So, what caused that and what do I need to do so that NEVER happens again??

Replies

• Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Never had that happen. Did you do any ab work-outs the day before? It's not recommended to work-out the same muscle group consecutive days in a row but if you didn't I have no idea. Maybe make sure you're good and stretched out next time. Lie on your stomach and keeping your pelvis on the ground push your upper body up so you are stretching your middle.
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    ...Serious lack of magnesium? That's a possible reason for muscle cramps!
  • Maybe your abs just aren't used to being worked out like that? I know when I've gone jogging or something, I've gotten charlie horse's in my calves pretty badly if I haven't stretched out or run in awhile.
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    If you are cramping, consider three things:

1) You may be dehydrated

2) You may be low on electrolytes

3) Perhaps you didn't stretch the ab muscles enough after working them. If not, try lying prone with your back on a balance ball. Roll the ball backwards and forwards to let your ab muscles stretch without straining your back. You can also do "Upward Facing Dog" yoga position on the floor if you don't have a balance ball.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Did you stretch after the exercise? Stretching after you work out muscles releases the lactic acid built up during the work out. If you don't stretch and let release it lactic acid can cause muscle cramps.
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    I have a back muscle I damaged in a horseback riding accident. If my electrolytes are low (sweating from working out or hot weather, being sick and not eating, etc) then I will get vicious cramping in that one muscle. I find a banana works to combat it. Usually a day or two of a banana as a snack helps.
  • RHOyalT
    RHOyalT Posts: 204 Member
    Thanks for all the info everyone. I didn't stretch afterward...maybe that was it. I will keep that in mind next time.
  • Looks like you got the advice you were looking for. I'm in the military where sit-ups are a way of life. My advice is along with stretching at water, whenever you start working muscles it's good to add protein and potassium to your diet. Protein is the building block and potassium will help with the muscle cramps.

The good thing is, you know you smoked your abs. Keep at it.
This discussion has been closed.