Anyone one the Eat to Live method?

Options
Tripped over Dr Fuhrmans infomercial about a month ago,his spiel made a lot of sense, bought the book and am generally following the diet.
So far i'm down 15lbs and have cut my insulin dosage in half.I'm impressed.
His website is very commercial and although his dietary lifestyle is logical and sustainable it seems he's milking every last nickle and dime out of his success.

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I don't understand your point. If the information is legit what is wrong with marketing his product. We all have to make a living.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I read the book and chose not to try it. It's a little extreme, for me. I thought some of it didn't make much sense, too, like his fascination with mushrooms and onions.

And I do see your point about the marketing. Fuhrman comes off strong, like he's selling a snake oil cure. It's hard to trust that approach.
  • jambo101
    Options
    I don't understand your point. If the information is legit what is wrong with marketing his product. We all have to make a living.
    Just trying to get some feed back on other peoples experience with the Fuhrman plan//
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Once I read it has an allowed and not allowed foods listing, I ignored anything else about it.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I get what he is saying, but for me good food, good friends= good times. I cherish the moments spent around the dinner table with my family and friends. And with the holidays coming up, who can claim that good food isn't a big part of the festivities?

For me, my slogan is be move to live. And being constantly worried about calories, or types of food I can or cannot eat, avoiding birthday cake, Christmas dinner and BBQs is not "living". Eat, be merry, get moving and enjoy life. I'd much rather run a mile and eat a Reese's peanut butter pumpkin with my kids and ENJOY it than constantly questioning my choices or feeling regret. S'mores and hot chocolate around the fireplace with my kids is what I live for. And if that requires me to jog then so be it. Or maybe play a long game of tag in the backyard before enjoying the s'mores?
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Fuhrman plan is not for everyone and personally I prefer to eat fish and chicken. A plant based diet doesn't work for me.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Again, this is a fad diet type of thing. Its fine if you need a quick fix, but not for the long run. A calorie deficit and weight training is the way to go.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a 'fad diet' and say it's 'not fine for the long run'. It's one way of achieving a low calorie diet without counting calories. A lot of people do fine with it as a way of eating.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm. Mushrooms
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I get what he is saying, but for me good food, good friends= good times. I cherish the moments spent around the dinner table with my family and friends. And with the holidays coming up, who can claim that good food isn't a big part of the festivities?

For me, my slogan is be move to live. And being constantly worried about calories, or types of food I can or cannot eat, avoiding birthday cake, Christmas dinner and BBQs is not "living". Eat, be merry, get moving and enjoy life. I'd much rather run a mile and eat a Reese's peanut butter pumpkin with my kids and ENJOY it than constantly questioning my choices or feeling regret. S'mores and hot chocolate around the fireplace with my kids is what I live for. And if that requires me to jog then so be it. Or maybe play a long game of tag in the backyard before enjoying the s'mores?

I agree completely. Lots of physical activity is what has worked for me. And worked brilliantly. And honestly no matter what you do or how hard you diet or restrict or whatever you only get one run through life. Don't forget to eat the cake. The cake is f*cking awesome!.
  • africanmasq
    Options
    I agree completely. Lots of physical activity is what has worked for me. And worked brilliantly. And honestly no matter what you do or how hard you diet or restrict or whatever you only get one run through life. Don't forget to eat the cake. The cake is f*cking awesome!.

Exactly. What's the point of trying so hard to live longer and healthier if you don't enjoy it? Not that food is what makes life good, but you know what I mean.
  • jambo101
    Options
    I understand your logic Africanmasq but if i dont fix things i'm basically looking at the end game coming up way faster than i'd like.
    After the last 30 years of a brutally physical job and a carefree dietary lifestyle of eating whatever i wanted whenever i wanted i now find myself recently retired at 100lbs overweight,out of control diabetes,blood pressure and cholesterol problems and even though i now watch what i eat and go to the gymn for an hour a day nothing seemed to work to turn my medical maladies around.
    I'm not crazy about Fuhmans vegan diet but it seems the only thing that works for me.
    Any one have similar physical problems and worked their way back to good health? if so how did you do it.?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in the perspective of folks DOING it, there's a group here.

That said: Who cares if he's making money on it. Personal trainers make money improving our health. So do doctors, in fact.
  • africanmasq
    Options
    I understand your logic Africanmasq but if i dont fix things i'm basically looking at the end game coming up way faster than i'd like.

No, of course. I just meant that as a general thing in terms of harsh restrictions - but obviously you have to do what you have to do to get to a healthy place.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Again, this is a fad diet type of thing. Its fine if you need a quick fix, but not for the long run. A calorie deficit and weight training is the way to go.
    Have you read it?
  • jambo101
    Options

No, of course. I just meant that as a general thing in terms of harsh restrictions - but obviously you have to do what you have to do to get to a healthy place.
    While the eat to live plan is about going vegan i wouldnt call it harsh restrictions as you can basically eat as much as you like of fruit/vegetables/legumes /along with some nuts and seeds,
    My idea of harsh would be something like the Fat Sick and nearly dead method where you are relegated to just juice for a couple of months.
    So far going vegan is the only plan that seems to address my maladies with some measure of success with a minimum amount of sacrifice
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

I agree completely. Lots of physical activity is what has worked for me. And worked brilliantly. And honestly no matter what you do or how hard you diet or restrict or whatever you only get one run through life. Don't forget to eat the cake. The cake is f*cking awesome!
    JtOiHWf.gif
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a 'fad diet' and say it's 'not fine for the long run'. It's one way of achieving a low calorie diet without counting calories. A lot of people do fine with it as a way of eating.

If people will be using this as a diet for fat loss and then will discontinue the diet once they reach their goals, then it is a fad diet. If they want to make this their lifestyle and are fine with never eating anything that doesn't abide by this plan for life, th en ok cool.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

This is simply creating a deficit through exercise, which is harder to maintain and manage simply because you're not as aware of the actual amount of food you are eating. I lost weight by using exercise as my deficit, and it worked.. but once I changed activity levels, I gained weight.

I eat cake, I'm also at a deficit. Much easier to enjoy life when I'm not exercising every single day way too much in hopes I create a large enough deficit lol.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Why did you change activity levels? I think that's the problem right there. I'm not doing anything I'm not planning on sustaining. And like I said in another thread I'm gonna keep watching my weight and calorie counting. If I start gaining weight because I can't keep up my activity level I will simply ease off the calories a bit. For someone with comfort eating like me health is just going to require constant vigilance. It's not something I can ever just relax and leave to chance. That's what has people regaining their weight.