Friends with alternative weight loss techniques?

Options
Hello.

I don't really count calories much, maybe once in a while for a few days to make sure I'm still fine portion wise.

I just try to eat balanced and have mashed up some weight loss methods I read about online to make my own rules. Seems to be working as this is my second part of my weight loss. (I've lost 30lb previously and am now busy with the last few.)

My "diet" is a mash up of the No "S" diet and the USDA's half plate rule. The no s diet is where you refrain from eating Snacks, Sweets, and Seconds, except for Saturdays and Sundays. Where as the half plate rule means you fill half your plate with veg/fruit and divide the other half by protein and carbs at every meal.

It's beside the point though.

I'd like support from friends who also don't follow the strict calorie counting method, but have lost weight using other methods. How about we friend up and support each other :)

Replies

• SugarBug493
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • SugarBug493
    Options
    Bump
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    What "alternative" methods ?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Hello.

I don't really count calories much, maybe once in a while for a few days to make sure I'm still fine portion wise.

I just try to eat balanced and have mashed up some weight loss methods I read about online to make my own rules. Seems to be working as this is my second part of my weight loss. (I've lost 30lb previously and am now busy with the last few.)

My "diet" is a mash up of the No "S" diet and the USDA's half plate rule. The no s diet is where you refrain from eating Snacks, Sweets, and Seconds, except for Saturdays and Sundays. Where as the half plate rule means you fill half your plate with veg/fruit and divide the other half by protein and carbs at every meal.

I'd like support from friends who also don't follow the strict calorie counting method, but have lost weight using other methods. How about we friend up and support each other :)

that sounds painfully complicated.

...especially for a site/app that focuses on caloric intake as a general guide.
  • SugarBug493
    Options
    What "alternative" methods ?

Doesn't matter I guess. Just ones that don't focus on counting calories.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You know you're asking that on a site basically devoted to counting calories, right?
  • SugarBug493
    Options
    Hello.
    that sounds painfully complicated.
    ...especially for a site/app that focuses on caloric intake as a general guide.

Not really. Eat 3 balanced meals a day and leave the snacking/sweets for the weekend.
    Also this is myfitnesspal, not mycaloriecountingpal. :wink:
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    There are programs that focus on portion control, but generally speaking....its still calorie control. You may not be counting, but your containers or portions are....
  • SugarBug493
    Options
    You know you're asking that on a site basically devoted to counting calories, right?

Which also has groups of people doing things like IF or some other eating stuff.
  • northbanu
    Options

Also this is myfitnesspal, not mycaloriecountingpal. :wink:

You'll also notice, that despite the name, there is very little "fitness". Go figure.
  • SugarBug493
    Options
    There are programs that focus on portion control, but generally speaking....its still calorie control. You may not be counting, but your containers or portions are....

And your point is? I don't like doing math and thinking of food as a number. I'd much rather think of my meal in terms of the nutrients I get from it.
  • northbanu
    Options
    Sorry, it sounds like I'm being argumentative. I just thought is was sorta funny and had to point it out.

And what is "IF"?
  • SugarBug493
    Options
    Sorry, it sounds like I'm being argumentative. I just thought is was sorta funny and had to point it out.

It's okay I get what you mean. But really, a million users on here there has to be SOMEONE who's just here for the community support and not just counting.
  • SugarBug493
    Options
    And what is "IF"?

It's just an example I took. Intermittent fasting. Like some people who don't count but only eat once a day or something.
  • northbanu
    Options
    Right, intermittent fasting, duh. :-) Don't know why that didn't click. So do you log your food and exercise? Are you trying to lose or gain weight? What sort of support are you looking for?
  • SugarBug493
    Options
    Just nevermind the friends I think.

I guess everyone thinks I'm selling something now or trying to get people to go on some fad diet. As is the way with mfp forums. Everyone is always suspicious of something. Well sorry to burst your bubbles. I was really just looking for some support. :-/
  • trogalicious
    Options
    So look, you're doing it your own way... and asking other people that use "alternative methods" to be friends? Most folks that have tried "alternative" methods have come here to find a way to use numbers to lose weight.

the fact that you had to bump your own post twice before someone else responded may stand to reason that most folks are finding success making it about calories in VS calories out.

I know it worked for me.

I'd really recommend it to others, since it works. Science and all that.
    And what is "IF"?

It's just an example I took. Intermittent fasting. Like some people who don't count but only eat once a day or something.

I do IF. I still count.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but you might want to check your sources.
  • SugarBug493
    Options
    Right, intermittent fasting, duh. :-) Don't know why that didn't click. So do you log your food and exercise? Are you trying to lose or gain weight? What sort of support are you looking for?

I don't really log anything. But perhaps I'd just write it out on my news feed if I had someone to read it. Any is welcome.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    besides, didn't you post this:
    I overate a bit this weekend and I'm the type that makes up for the excess over the next few days.

For the next two days I will only be eating 900 calories to make up for it, before resuming my normal 1500-1600.

What can I eat for those 900? I eat 3 meals usually with 2 snacks?

I don't normally cheat this way so don't worry. I don't cheat often but I don't feel comfy leaving any surplus above 500 just as if it never happened. I have a very small deficit to work with as is so 1000 calories makes a BIG dent in that. =)

I'm confused. You don't count, but that post up there was yours... showing that you do count.
  • SugarBug493
    Options
    So look, you're doing it your own way... and asking other people that use "alternative methods" to be friends? Most folks that have tried "alternative" methods have come here to find a way to use numbers to lose weight.
    the fact that you had to bump your own post twice before someone else responded may stand to reason that most folks are finding success making it about calories in VS calories out.
    I know it worked for me.
    I'd really recommend it to others, since it works. Science and all that.
    And what is "IF"?
    I do IF. I still count.
    I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but you might want to check your sources.

There are people who use fasting exclusively. And if that's the case, you should really tell mfp that they should rename their site. It's fooling people walking in looking for support.