Hoping it isn't too late

Options
2»

Replies

• grate4heart
    grate4heart Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Norski, I just joined mfp myself . I am 54 and I have over 100 lbs to lose. I suffer from knee, and foot pain which can be unbearable at times. However, I am determine to get this weight off to eliminate this pain. So be encouraged we can do this.
  • slimgemm
    Options
    Wow that's a phenomenal accomplishment!!! Congratulations!!!
  • River_L
    River_L Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I too am in my 50's and have over 100 lbs to loose. I have started a fitness program of swimming three to four times a week. Most weight bearing activities are hard for me but swimming works. I am looking for friends to support the 100+ loss journey and share the struggles and victories.
  • paulinewood73
    paulinewood73 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's never too late. I started my own weight loss/fitness journey weighing 271 pounds and I am hoping to get to my goal weight by November 2015 which will be my 13th Wedding Anniversary. Good luck with it and keep on posting to let us know how you are doing.....
  • greythoundlover
    Options
    I am 72 & say it isn't to late. I do 2 silver sneakers classes a week at out hospital & then work out 5-6 days a week on the machines in the fitness center with my daughter. On Sundays we workout in the pool- walking, running, swimming & doing lunges that I can't do on land.So far this year I've lost 20 pounds but still have aprox.50 pounds to go. I feel better & friends say I look better. I've found if I don't buy the foods I shouldn't eat it is easier to go without. I miss chocolat the most so will have some once in a while. I don't watch TV except when working out & sure wish there weren't so many food ads! I too know I'll never be a size 8 but as long as I look good I'll be fine & so will you. We can do this!:smooched: I too would like some friends here.
  • Mahlers_2nd
    Mahlers_2nd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    WOW!! I go away for a few hours and I come back with soooooo much support and encouragement and motivation. I can't thank all of you enough for taking the time to respond, offer encouragement, friendship, and just plain old-fashioned caring!

So THANK YOU to everyone!!! I so grateful and appreciative of the outpouring of support!

Cheers!
    Norsk
  • adante43
    Options
    I Advice anyone who wants to loose weight in a matter of a month or so to try the 24 day challenge. I am beginning mine and all I've heard is great results from it. You can purchase it online from the link ill provide you with. The 24 day challenge is the most popular plan out there and will cause dramatic and life changing weight loss and even the toning up of your body. You'd have to be a fool to not try it out. Here is the link to buy it.

https://www.advocare.com/140854799/
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and lost my weight, so I know it can be done! Send me a friend request if you like! You can do this!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    My mom's 50. She started at about your weight, and has lost 45 lbs. It's never too late. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • zac775
    zac775 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hi, its never too late to change things if you really want it. The mind is a powerful thing, set an easy goal to achive and go for it, then once you have got there set a new one. Next thing you will know it will become second nature and you will be where you want to be. We are all here to help and will you on when it become a little tough. I really hope you take this challenge on and give it all.

Good luck.

S
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I am 63 and only 5ft tall so two things not in my favour. I started in August 2012 and by October I had lost a significant amount of weight to have to buy new clothes to go on holiday in. Yes, I put some on whilst I was on holiday but got straight back to it when I came back. By May 2013 I had lost over 50lbs and was feeling great. I now walk, swing kettlebells, ride my bike or anything else I want to do.

I guess nobody told my body it was too late lol.

Have a look on youtube and see if there are any exercises you can do. Just baby steps to start. Even a walk round the block at your own speed is exercise. Whatever you can do. It all adds up. In no time at all you will wonder how far you have come. Never give up. There are bad days and good days, we all have them, but as long as the good days outweigh the bad it is a step forward.

I know you can do this. If I can anyone can. I was a chocoholic but I have had a bar of chocolate in my bag for almost a week now and I can honestly say, I don't want it.

Goo luck with it. Start today and make a difference. If you want another friend send me a request.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    IF you your feet hurt you can do chair exercises: Yoga, Light weights, even Boxing. Check out youtbe. Also Amazon.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Its never too late to improve yourself and your life. You've made a great decision.

Forget about the men. Do it because you will be happier.
    I have this idea that losing weight is a reward for eating well. THink of it all as a reward for they are indeed many and wonderful.

I've been on this roll all year and i look better, feel better, feel more comfortable, more optimistic, happier and healthier. i don't care about the men thing. Gather friends instead. And fun and rewarding things to do with your time.

Many people in your shoes - i.e. who've never really done much dieting before, tend to start with some really unhelpful ideas so i am just going to clarify a few things so hopefully you find it all easier and you can be more successful and less stressed and worried by the process.

1. Exercise. There is no question that exercise good for us. But it is not a particularly good aid to weightloss. Get on the treadmill when you are skinny and getting around is easier. In the meantime focus on your diet. If you do want to burn a few extra calories easily, then i suggest getting a pedometer and just being more aware of your choices to be active through your day - you know take the stairs, park a a little further away etc. Most people who use these things say they find it motivating and so they end up taking more steps than before they wore one. If you can afford it get one (a garmin) that needs only one battery change per year. The others need charging every few days which sounds like a pain in the you know where to me.

2. So focusing on your diet: Do not cut your calories drastically. When you have a lot of weight to lose, you can aim for about 2 pounds a week. The time will go fast and in the beginning you will be likely to lose more than this anyway. As your weight reduces be prepared to see a slower rate of change. Be patient. In the beginning you will lose a lot of water. This comes from eating fewer carbs predominantly and less highly salted refined foods. It is good to try to reduce your carbs anyway. Keep your protein up and maximise fibre as much as possible.

3. So yes, make most, if not all your food whole food and not refined or processed foods. You may want to design yourself a program of transitioning away from the foods you are used to but which are unhealthy. Basically not many people start off eating perfectly and all of us have to learn to refine our diets as we go along, trying to get more bang for our buck or more satisfaction and more health from our food choices. For instance buy more fresh vegetables, fruit, unsweetened yoghurt, whole milk (avoid low fat stuff), lentils, chickpeas, beans, olive oil, nuts and seeds, some dried fruits, tasty deli cheeses, whole eggs, fresh fish and seafood, (i'm not a meat eater so i'm not going to recommend that but of course some of it is nutritious too. If you are not a great cook or don't know how to use these foods, get some cookbooks and expand your repertoire.

4. change your mindset. So long as you fantasise a lot about sweet foods, you are not likely to win this challenge. Learn how to dislike the foods that you have little control over. Learn whether or not you are capable of moderation and if you are not, then make the decision to quit your problem foods completely or limit them to extremely low risk situations which are also fairly infrequent. do not limit yourself to one day a month because then your will be looking forward all month to that day. this is not helpful. Learn to love healthy food and then you will be able to forget about the very sweet and very fatty unhealthy foods.

5. there are some other things that can undermine your best efforts. These are stress, fatigue, lack of sleep, rapid weightloss. Basically when you experience these things, you tend to want to eat. So if you have stress, get help. If you are tired or lack sleep, get more sleep, go to bed earlier. If you have lost weight rapidly, you will have to put some weight back on but do it by eating more healthy foods and not the foods you may lose control over. Your appetite settle down when you get back to a certain weight. Depression and low seratonin also causes these negative changes to our appetite.

6. Learn about things like seratonin, leptin, insulin and fibre and how all these things affect weight gain/loss and management. I found nutrition wonderland.com to be a good site for this. There are some good shows on you tube as well. Consider reading books like French women don't get fat. 5:2 fasting, The don't go Hungry Diet. The End of Overeating.
    The thing is hormones have been very overlooked in the whole weight loss industry. Learn about them and then you can work with them rather than struggle along against.

7. If you find your weight loss is very very slow and you are sure you are doing everything properly, then consider doing low carb. People who are insulin resistant may find it easier to lose weight this way. I am not sure that you really need to go to extreme low carb (under 50) to get the benefits. I would suggest maybe trying instead, starting off at about 100 carbs per day and gradually reducing them. YOu will lose a lot of weight at first but it will be water so do not get too excited. And it will all come straight back when you go off low carb so just be aware of that. Low carb diets burn fat directly instead of burning glucose for fuel. People who are used to eating a lot of meat, eggs, and fat will find this a fairly easy diet to adjust to. But to get the most benefit from it, you still need to eat a lot of vegetables and no refined sugar and even also not much fruit. The paleo diet is similar. Read a few books on the subject of these diets. One of the nice benefits of low carb is reduced appetite. There's a good website - phlaunt.com

8. Another good option to consider is the fasting diet also know as 5:2. Its not as hard as you think. And many people really love it. The idea is you fast two days a week eating 500 calories each day. I prefer doing consecutive days but other people like doing it separately. then on non-fast days you eat to your TDEE. the Fast diet website has the calculators you need. There are other health benefits to fasting and that's why a lot of people choose it too. One unexpected thing i've discovered from it is that i have learnt how to manage hunger. But of course once you reach your goal weight it should be an easy way to maintain your new low weight.

9. Whatever option you choose to follow, be kind to yourself. Forgive yourself for any slip ups and get back on your wagon asap. I find support sites like this and others to be very helpful so use them. You are not alone. there are many people who've been where you've been.

10. Weigh yourself often but not more than once a day. Realise that your weight will fluctuate significantly day by day but this is due to changes in your water levels due to salt in your food, menstruation, carbs, exercise, dehydration. In women particularly, the fluctuations are dramatic. So keep a nice diary and notice the over all trend. A plateau is no weightloss for about 4 weeks.
    Log your food in MFP or privately with as much accuracy as you can. Weighing your food is the most accurate. And don't leave out things like milk in your coffee. I have found i add 1/4 cup for cup of coffee i drink and over the course of a day that's one cup. NOt sure how many calories it is but it all adds up.

11. Avoid expensive plans. There are so many free resources out there that you can do better to spend your money on better food.

12. You will probably find it difficult being around your family and their food. RAther than avoiding family situations, one possible way to deal with this is to go along with whatever they do up to a point. That is eat what they serve but don't over eat if you thnk its a lot of extra calories, do a fast day before or after as per the 5:2 fast.

13. Go see you doctor and get all the blood tests done - fasting glucose, cholesterol, thyroid, liver function and any others they suggest. This will show you how far you advance with your diet in health terms. If your weightloss is very slow, it may be due to insulin resistance so discuss this possibility with your doctor from the outset. And refer back to my point about low carb diets. If you are already a diabetic, then don't consider the fasting diet. Though that might only be an issue for type 1 diabetes.
    Measure yourself all over - neck, upper arm, wrist, bust, waist, girth, hips, thigh, calf. You will enjoy looking back at this but you can also calculate your total fat percentage with some of these measurements.
  • GTH1964
    Options
    Hiya

Its never too late!! I just had to write this and it is the first time I have ever written to anyone on here. I just felt that you could do it!! I have to lose weight as I would just like to feel comfortable again.

I wish you the very best and I would say that not everyone can be a size eight and most sensible men realise that when we reach the age of 50 and over we are not going to look like we did when we were in our teens. (the men who expect us to look like we do in our teens are the men to avoid and are not really worth worrying about and to be honest probably need to have a closer look in the mirror!!!)

The rules I use are the following ( and I must admit, I dont always succeed but I do my best :))

Do it for yourself and for health reasons, you can never do it for someone else. If you have had a bad day put it behind you and start again the next day. Only weigh yourself once a week at the same time of day. Exercise it really does make you feel better after a few weeks, even if you do not enjoy it, you gradually like the feeling of once you have done it, the sense of achievement it gives you.

Good luck and best wishes - Gwenda
  • midgamarine
    Options
    Well, I want to attempt to provide a bit of support for you. I am not yet 50 but getting there, and I too am tipping the scales around 300+/-lbs. I began riding my bike today because I looked in the mirror a few days ago and was sorely disappointed in what I saw. I am a prior military person and was used to constant exercise but after a divorce and my kids turning their backs on me, I have decided that it is high time for me to stop focusing on them and work on me. I am starting with riding my bike 20 minutes a day for 6 days a week and doing push-ups and sit-ups for 1 minute each exercise. I hope this is enough to begin to see the progress that I seek of eventually going back to riding my bike for 2 hours. each day for 4 days each week.

I hope the fact that I am in this struggle with you is a motivational factor and we can share our accomplishments over time. Good luck and let's get it off.
  • Mahlers_2nd
    Options
    2essie wrote:

I guess nobody told my body it was too late lol.

I love this! Thank you!
  • Mahlers_2nd
    Options

Pattttience wrote:

Its never too late to improve yourself and your life. You've made a great decision.

Forget about the men. Do it because you will be happier.
    I have this idea that losing weight is a reward for eating well. THink of it all as a reward for they are indeed many and wonderful.

I've been on this roll all year and i look better, feel better, feel more comfortable, more optimistic, happier and healthier. i don't care about the men thing. Gather friends instead. And fun and rewarding things to do with your time.

So much wonderful information in this post. I need to print it out and save it (computers are good but there is something about having something on a printed page that gets to my brain easier!

Thank you for taking the time to write this!
  • Mahlers_2nd
    Options
    Gwenda wrote:
    Hiya

Its never too late!! I just had to write this and it is the first time I have ever written to anyone on here. I just felt that you could do it!! I have to lose weight as I would just like to feel comfortable again.

I wish you the very best and I would say that not everyone can be a size eight and most sensible men realise that when we reach the age of 50 and over we are not going to look like we did when we were in our teens. (the men who expect us to look like we do in our teens are the men to avoid and are not really worth worrying about and to be honest probably need to have a closer look in the mirror!!!)

The rules I use are the following ( and I must admit, I dont always succeed but I do my best :))

Do it for yourself and for health reasons, you can never do it for someone else. If you have had a bad day put it behind you and start again the next day. Only weigh yourself once a week at the same time of day. Exercise it really does make you feel better after a few weeks, even if you do not enjoy it, you gradually like the feeling of once you have done it, the sense of achievement it gives you.

Good luck and best wishes - Gwenda

Hi Gwenda -- thank you for writing this as well... I just need to bookmark this thread because there is so much encouragement!