frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
Ingredient list
One medium onion (diced)
Frozen corn 1 1/4 cup
Hidden ValleyRanch Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix, 0.5 container
Dried Black Beans, 1.5 c dry
Adzuki beans .5 c dry
Mrs. Dash Seasoning Blend - Extra Spicy, 3 tsp or to taste
Trader Joe's - Unsalted Whole Plum Tomato's With Basil, 1 container (drained)
Newman's Own - All Natural Chunky Salsa Medium, 0.5 container
Trader Joe's Organics - Tomato Paste, 1 container

Combine the adzuki beans and black beans to soak as usual. Once soaked (overnight or the quick method), drain and then add 6 cups of hot water to pot, bring to a boil and simmer for an hour. Drain the beans and add them along with the rest of the ingredients into your crockpot/slowcooker set on high for the first 2 hours and then low until beans are tender (this varies but about 2 more hours) or start early in the morning and place on low for 6-8 hours.

This makes about 14 servings of approximately 1 cup each and is not only extremely filling, but it's pretty darn healthy and delicious.
The nutrition breakdown goes a little something like this.

Per Serving
120 Calories
26g carbs
0 g Fat
6g protein
5 g fiber
145 mg Sodium

Feel free to leave out the salsa for a lower sodium option (92mg). I like to garnish mine with an ounce of avocado, fat free sour cream and fat free cheddar. Super Delish.

Replies

• sryanc
    Options
    This sounds pretty good to me. I think i'll have to try it out.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Everyone in the house liked it except my boyfriend's youngest. He's 14 and super picky about food so he picked at it and looked depressed for the entire meal (while periodically loading it up with salt), later he made himself a mini deep dish pizza. To be honest, I was expecting it so it was no surprise. He's a salt addict to the point of being ridiculous as he'll actually salt every meal no matter what it is and before even tasting it (he likes to salt each individual bite sometimes). I cringe every time despite trying to pay it no mind.

This recipe is actually a modification of a recipe I got from a friend but after making her version I realized it was loaded with sodium. Her recipe calls for a full packed of the ranch seasoning, canned corn, canned beans and canned salted tomatoes. Might even try it with fresh tomatoes (completely omitting the salsa) next time I make it and see how that works for me.

Sorry I wasn't more specific about cooking times. I'm great at throwing things together on the fly and terrible about paying attention to the time it takes or exact measurements. However I did measure quantities for this recipe.

Let me know what you think when you try it.