Anybody my age here? I am 63 ...

Options
It is my first week here, I am Swedish, I am a woman, I have been attended WW both in Sweden and abroad, and I have dieted and put on weight since I was around 20, which has resulted in a weight gain of around 25 kilos .... Now I want to lose around 15 kilos in the course a year. I have time to spend, I have retired, I can both plan my meals and spend time on exercise. I have joined a nearby gym. I have already found this place very useful although I am unfamiliar with all the different brands and packages that I counter in the database. Wish me luck! :happy:

Replies

• paticap
    Options
    I am 58 and my husband is 59. We are both on MFP and absolutely love it. I have gained and lost the same 10 lbs over and over again through the years . I currently am 2 puonds below my goal weight and I am holding there very steadily. The key at our age is to make cardio a part of every day. I manage my food on this site and I do a minimum of 30 minutes of brisk walking with a 1 minute jog every 5 minutes to get my heart rate up. I also do a few spot exercises for my tummy, upper legs and arms. I have never felt better in my life. You can do this! This site is amazing if you let it work for you. One key trick for me is to keep my protein numbers up. Especially with breakfast. It sets your whole day off right and reduces hunger. Good luck!!!
  • kcfva122
    Options
    Good luck! I am 63 also - for a couple more months. I have been with MFP for over a year and have lost 20 pounds (even though the ticker says 18!). I have been maintaining lately and would like to lose 15 more pounds - after the holidays. I have tried lots of plans, but this one works! Just look at it as a lifestyle change, not as a diet.
  • elldough
    Options
    Yes, I am also 63. I work out every day for at least one hour at the gym. I find that really helps. I also watch simple carbs. I don't buy anything that is sugar or white
  • Brittwe
    Options
    Thanks for your encouraging words, the "cardio thing" is probably very helpful. You really seem to have got it all in place. I hope to be able to report some good results after a while ...
  • Brittwe
    Options
    Working out every day that's really something, the last few weeks I have been to the gym once a week.. but I am quite good at looking after what I eat, my present goal is to work out three times a week, let's see if I can do that this coming week ... (well might be difficult since Christmas is coming up, is that a valid excuse ... :wink: )
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Another 60+ here :smile: This is actually the first time in 20 years that I have succeeded in losing weight. I figure it's never too late and I, too have a little more time to devote to the technical side of weight loss.
  • joeybaby66
    Options
    I'm 66 and still working on improvement. My goal is another ten to twelve pounds. I'm about 179-180. Follow the program, throw in some cardio. power walking is good. No need to run. Stick to the nutrition guidelines, and you will do it. One day at a time.
  • leastwood
    Options
    I am 57, and this is the first time that I have been successful at losing weight. It is the first time that I really focused and read everything that I could to get the most information possible! I have always been too busy!
    now all my kids are grown and gone, and I can actually focus on me. Three of my grandparents lived to be 100 years old. I believe I will live to be 100 yrs old, if I change a few things now. Number one is physical activity. I work in an office, sitting all day. I now walk 1 mile at lunch everyday. I work out, strength training, 3 times a week at the gym, and cardio twice a week. I made changes to my eating, making sure I get 3 servings of fruit, and 3 of raw vegtables a day. I lost 60 pounds in 2 years, and still going. It has been hard to make all of these changes, but everytime "slip", I do not quit trying. If I fail today, I get up the next morning and start over. I did not get fat by overeating one meal, so losing isn;t going to happen overnight either! Never give up!