Negative Calories

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    6,000,000 Americans believe the government are actually alien insects, so yes you'll probably find people that believe foods with calories miraculously change state and become negative calories.

Now you are just joking - how can 6 million rational thinking people be wrong?

Of course they are alien insects! Here to harvest our magical watermelon!
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    ok, as the US virtually rules the world, and you are governed by very smart alien insects, could you please ask them, or Lay's, to make a negative-calorie version of chips? Preferably paprika flavour.
    The rest of the world will thank you.
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    just going to draw a line in the sand here.

ive heard it all now.. it all.

calories is a calculation of how much 1 gram of food (when burnt) changes the temperature of 1 gram of water.

the calories we measure are actually Kcal so 1000's

there is a chain of thought that states that chewing and or digesiton of certain foods actually expend more energy then the foods themselves provide.

that is only an equivalence though, its not like for like. therefore there are no negative calories.

if you ate 8000 calories of celery, you would gain weight.
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I had a delicous bowl of air for breakfast, even that didn't have negative calories, it just had 0.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Nop, never seen the list of negative calories and as someone righteously mentioned before me:
    WTF is negative calories?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Free samples don't have calories, right? Right? RIGHT?!!!!

Seriously though, what you're looking for does not exist.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

what you mean free samples don't have calories???
    All the free samples of protein shakes i had have no calories?!?!? You mean I actually lost gains after a work out??
    That's it - my bodybuilder career has just been flushed down the toilet along with all the calories and gains :sad:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

what you mean free samples don't have calories???
    All the free samples of protein shakes i had have no calories?!?!? You mean I actually lost gains after a work out??
    That's it - my bodybuilder career has just been flushed down the toilet along with all the calories and gains :sad:

Yup. You're just gonna have to suck it up and BUY your protein shakes. Otherwise, it doesn't count.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Seriously?
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    After reading several posts today about negative calories, raw foods, magic calorie numbers, etc I have reached a conclusion: I will begin a roasted unicorn and raw ambrosia diet. I believe if I just eat these two items, making sure I keep them to just 1200 calories all together, don't eat them after 5:37 PM and maybe fast on full moon days I will surely lose my entire body weight and just be a being of light which is what I long to become.

This made my day!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Remember Olestra? I'm pretty sure if you factor in the side effects of Olestra, it could be considered to have negative calories.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    6,000,000 Americans believe the government are actually alien insects, so yes you'll probably find people that believe foods with calories miraculously change state and become negative calories.

I for one, welcome our new alien overlords.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    After reading several posts today about negative calories, raw foods, magic calorie numbers, etc I have reached a conclusion: I will begin a roasted unicorn and raw ambrosia diet. I believe if I just eat these two items, making sure I keep them to just 1200 calories all together, don't eat them after 5:37 PM and maybe fast on full moon days I will surely lose my entire body weight and just be a being of light which is what I long to become.

Roasted unicorn is my favourite.
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Remember Olestra? I'm pretty sure if you factor in the side effects of Olestra, it could be considered to have negative calories.

Hahaha oh man, if anything in the WORLD has negative calories, it's most certainly Olestra. :sick:
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Based on what I've read it's a diet trend/sales pitch. Here is an article that explains it. Essentially the article says that no foods have been proven to be negative calorie foods.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/expert-answers/negative-calorie-foods/faq-20058260
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how some myths just never die, but as long as people want to believe there are short cuts to everything, then they will continue to believe in negative calories, fat burners, magical compounds, spot reduction, no effort exercises, etc...
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a negative calorie food. The calories burned digesting is all part of your TDEE.

Okay, so not to freak everyone out but I am totally curious to see what people have to say on this one.
    My husband says he is sure my breast milk is negative calories. Not to anyone else, of course, just to me. If I were to eat nothing else and only drink water then the more of my milk I drank, the more I would lose because of the amount of energy it takes to make it.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    This is a complete myth. There is no such thing as negative calorie foods.
  • bethanyboomstick
    bethanyboomstick Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Here's a great video explaining why zero calorie and negative calorie foods don't exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiVwWaEmBhw