Has anyone tried weight watchers in the past

Options
I was going to join weight watchers online before I found out mfp but then I found out about mfp through google search shortly before joining weight watchers . I then read mfp reviews and decide to join mfp since its free and it also seemed easier counting calories and straight forward than the point system. So I was wondering for those who tried weight watchers in the past, Did you found it hard to keep the weight off when you reached your goal with the whole points system ? just curious:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I tried WW at least 7 times, from their old classic program, through their Fat and Fibre program and then through Points in all its incarnations.

I'm currently the heaviest I've ever been. Take that as you will LOL.

I also note that over the last 20 years, I've found that each new incarnation of WW is less effective. I won't go back to WW. I guess the thing to keep in mind is that they are a business first and foremost, and people who succeed and keep it off aren't good for the profit margin!

It certainly doesn't do anything MFP doesn't, for free.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    I had good success while using the old no count / core programs (name in Australia not sure any where else)....haven't had any success with any of their pointed programs.

The current filling and healthy program (in Australia) is similar to the above programs.
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Ww got my first thirty pounds off, but after that i struggled. When i was younger i got alot out of meetings, but i wanted no part of them as i got older. But it also was too much food for me and i wouldnt lose, couldnt use all my bonus or activity points (i didnt want to have to modify it i just wanted to follow it!) and by saying i could have "some of anything in moderation" well, it just didnt work *for me* after the first thirty pounds. Moderation was never my strong point lmao.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I've had luck with WW in the past but like anything, when you stop, you regain.

If you're numbers-oriented and don't need the educational component of WW or the accountability of the weigh-in or the social support from the meetings, and don't get added motivation from paying, there's no reason you can't count calories instead and do just as well.

One unique thing WW does is basically pre-log your fruit and vegetables, so you eat more of those because they're 'free' (though they're accounted for in your goals already, really.) And the nature of the Points calc steers you toward foods higher in protein and fiber and lower in fat and alcohol. If that appeals to you.

Also, there is a way to count Points and calories at the same time here. The link to the thread about it is at the very end of my profile.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Yep it worked for me! I got bored with it though so now I'm here. I loved their recipe builder. I would do it again. I just wasn't sticking to it because I easily get sick of counting and such. But I didn't want to give up so its nice to come to mfp because it has increased my interest again.
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Lost about 40 pounds with them last time, but when I stopped, I gained it all back.
    I enjoyed the accountability of the in-person weigh ins, but always skipped out from the meetings. I'd like to talk about the emotions and the real struggles, but most of the people just wanted to talk about their recipes. MFP lets us put it all out there and I love it. :)
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I've tried it several times in the past. I just can't restrict myself like I had to with the points system. Plus it's a pain in the neck figuring out points for everything. Counting calories has given me my best weight loss that is lasting. I no longer feel deprived and basically eat whatever I want as long as I don't go over my calories. Now I find that I'm naturally reaching for fruit rather than forcing myself to eat it.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I tried WW so many times in the past, both in NYC as well as here in Tucson, Az....it works as long as you follow the plan. I NEVER stuck it out long enough to get to goal. Going officially I lost approx 50 lbs twice, doing it on my own (no meetings but using points) I lost 63 lbs (and oddly got to goal weight but never was able to maintain..went back to my old ways).

Found MFP 817 days ago. Got to my goal "range" on day 640. Since then I've dropped another 10-15 lbs and am comfortable in my skin at this point & working on maintaining where I'm at.

I pretty much follow the WW idea that there is nothing you can't eat, I just eat in moderation (I weigh & log everything and pre plan/pre log my food in advance which keeps me on track)
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers many years ago can't remember the dates. I did loose weight and I learned to eat low fat items mostly bought from their frozen food items. With that being said I am also losing weight eating regular fat items and incorporating what I now know are healthy fats vs. starchy fatty food with no real nutritional value (which I still eat by the way if I want to).

My issue was that I knew realistically I could not count points for the rest of my life. That is just me. I also can say the same thing for MFP I don't feel that I will realistically log food or count calories for the rest of my life. I am using this as a stepping stone to eating better on my own. Anyway, their frozen savory meals were toooo high in sodium for me. I gained the weight back because of pregnancy and me just becoming complacent.

I feel that I did not really learn anything from weight watchers that I can say today I am doing this because of having Weight Watchers having been a part of my life. If you are able to take away anything from this post know that you must learn about nutrition and incorporating exercise above anything else. All programs MFP, Weight Watchers, LA Weight loss, etc will have no real value without those very important components. At the end of the day you have to be able to sustain any program or strategy long term, Great Luck!:smile:
  • norhavic
    Options
    If you are serious about wanting to lose those extra pounds, then get a good scale and start using MyFitnessPal. It isn't a miracle cure. It is a reality check which makes you realize how many calories you are putting in your mouth compared to how many calories you are burning. I started using MyFitnessPal in Sept. 2011 and by Dec. 2011 had lost 15 lbs. I lost another 5 lbs. in the next 3 months and kept it off for a year.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    WW is like any other weight loss program, off course if we stop and go back to the same habits we had previously we are going to gain, same with calorie counting....

Needs to be a life long habit, but the thing is, what are we/you prepared to do for the long term?

Best way to lose weight is the you intend to maintain for the longterm/forever!
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    When I was younger and very much over weight I did do weight watchers, attended the meetings, and then kind of fell off the wagon gained the weight back that I did lose. Then I noticed that I could combine WW and MFP together and both programs have worked wonders for me!!!

I am able to check on how many points I do have left to use, but also how many calories that I do also have. So I would have to say getting on both programs has helped me greatly!!
  • missbirrell
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers in 2006, for about 15 months. I lost 60lbs.
    I put most of it back on from 2009-2012. I tried Weight Watchers again in 2010/2011/2012 but I couldn't get on with the new system and didn't see any substantial loss.
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers in 2008 to lose baby weight from our first baby. I did it online, and that was a mistake. I should have gone to meetings to be held accountable. Anyways, it wasn't near enough food for me. I only lost 8 pounds in 4 months or so. I counted calories along with figuring points for a week, just to see what my points equated to calorie wise because I was starving 24-7. I figured out the points I was supposed to stick to, was only 1127 calories. Yes, there are "extra points" they give you every week, but I would try to only use about a handful of those per day.
    I dont know if it is because I'm only 5'3 or what, but the points WW gave me was insanely low.

Counting calories works better for me, but any type of program is tempting to try even though I know what works. :)
  • debrakhan
    debrakhan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I joined weight watcher in Nov 2011 and lost 105lbs in 11 mths, I have kept the weight off and am just under my gaol weight, but I still attend meetings and still do the pro-points as well as MFP, I exercise most days, although having a little break at the moment other than walking every day. I can honestly say that I love doing WW and enjoyed the meetings, it wasn't hard to do either.
  • Boardergurl
    Boardergurl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I joined WW in Feb of 2009. I had a starting weight on 238 pounds! It worked well with me! My first 6 months I gave it my all and lost a ton of weight. I hit a wall but didn't give up!
    I got down to 160 pounds but was very fit and toned as I started at the gym 3 months before my wedding. My weight didn't change in that three months but my dress size went down 3 sizes!
    I have since then been married and traveled and had a baby! I have always kept in the back of my head what I learned with WW and even AFTER having a baby and gaining about 50 pounds I am only 13 pounds above my smallest weight.
    Yes I gained a bit back but that's life! I have kept the majority of it off for 4 years and am now back at it to lose the extra 13 pounds!
    It doesn't matter what diet you do if you stop and go back to do whatever you want you will gain weight. That's all that there is to it!
  • mom2nicknat
    mom2nicknat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had great success on Weight Watchers as far as weight loss (about 55 lbs in total).
    I ate fairly healthy to begin with but it really helped with the portion control which was huge for me.
    I think it was much easier to track than MFP but obviously you pay for that.

The only negative is that exercise was not promoted as much with that program so while I lost 55 lbs, I had no muscle tone and now, I'm in a very intense exercise program and utlize MFP instead since I'm not trying to lose weight just keep up with what I have accomplished while incorporating exercise.

Good luck
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I joined WW in June of 2009 at 148lbs. I went to meetings, did everything right and in August 2009 I was 128lbs and in fantastic shape. I moved and stopped following it for a bit, gained back 10lbs then tried it again but that was the new PP program. I don't think their initial set was meant for anyone already in a healthy weight range just trying to get in better shape. I ended up gaining 5lbs just trying to meet my points and not using any extra weekly points. I stopped that and decided that it wasn't the right program for me at that point in my life. I haven't tried it again since then.
  • SuperC_85
    Options
    Yes paid for the meetings twice, followed the points on my own a couple more times. Eventually just went back up to starting weight on all attempts.

Stuck with MFP for over a year, cheaper and easier to do :smile:
  • julez4774
    julez4774 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i done weightwatchers in past didnt lose as much weight lost more weight just using this and excercise and now doing 5.2 diet