Anyone had an LCL injury ?

Options
A couple of weeks ago after my last run I started having pain/swelling in my knee. Went to the doctor Friday and she thinks that I have an LCL injury. I got some X-rays done but they won't be read until Tues or Weds.

Has anyone ever had an LCL injury, and if so were you able to work out with the injury ?
I have thought about trying to jog or use the elliptical but am nervous because the knee is still pretty sore.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Yup,, LCL and MCL strains.

I was doing PT, but I added in swimming and elliptical. I opted for some fairly light leg work, was really afraid of exacerbating the problem.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options

I was doing PT, but I added in swimming and elliptical. I opted for some fairly light leg work, was really afraid of exacerbating the problem.

How long did you wait before you started exercising again ?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    LCL, no...rotator cuff, posterior tibial tendon, tennis elbos, runners knee...yup!

When you're actually injured, focus on the rehab...do the rehab...don't worry about everything else...do the rehab. You just have to eat less because you can't put in the work.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

How long did you wait before you started exercising again ?

I went immediately into PT, so I was doing PT 2x per week from the get go. I added the swimming about 3 weeks or so in, then a couple more weeks before the elliptical. I talked it out with the PT, and went based on his thoughts.
  • celibella
    Options
    MCL Sprain from a few years back on my right knee. Over last winter my left knee started bothering me now. Both still bother me today if I run even 15 mins, but a knee brace really helps a lot. Extends the time I can run by 15 mins at least. Also I found running on a treadmill rather than outside seemed to help too. Less impact on the knees I suppose. I focus more on low impact activities like rollerblading and swimming and running only short distances. But usually by the next day I can run again as long as I am using my knee brace. I bought a simple one from Wal mart and seems to work really nicely. I was recommended PT, but couldn't afford it at the time so I can't speak to that, but it can help a lot too from what I hear.