Long way to go...looking for a helping hand

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm finally serious about losing all of this unhealty weight before it is too late. I'm really glad I came across this site and hopefully it will really help me out. I am excited and want to experience nothing but encouragement and positivity. I would be really interested in hearing any tips and suggestions ANYONE has to offer, because I tend to lose focus quite often. Nice to meet you :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Welcome & good luck! Its a tough journey but a rewarding one. I have lost 250lbs althogether over 3 years and the things that helped me the most:

1. Persistance, not perfection is the goal. I don't beat myself up if I slip up, just get right back on track.
    2. I always try to ask myself: IS THE CHOICE I'M MAKING RIGHT NOW MOVING ME CLOSER TO OR FURTHER FROM MY GOAL?
    3. I allow myself one day a week to eat what I want, gets rid of the cravings. So Friday's I commit to a healthy breakfast and a hard workout, then I don't worry about it for the rest of theday.

I hope this helps and again, good luck - stick with it!
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. It is a wonderful and supportive website. I have been a member since August 14th. I have been very successful in reducing my weight and have almost reached my goal weight. The only things I can suggest/recommend is that you just be very truthful with yourself. Log everything you eat and don't exaggerate your calorie burn through exercise. If you feel uncomfortable sharing your food diaries with others and you think that might inhibit your journey, then keep it private. This is about you, so others would just have to understand. Do add friends - that helps with this journey a lot. Getting up in the morning and seeing the encouraging comments and support is such a wonderful way to start your day off right. Also, remember that this takes commitment. You simply must figure out what works for you and then stick to it. Others will have many recommendations as to what you should/shouldn't eat, how many calories you should/shouldn't consume, how much exercise you should/shouldn't do, what kind of exercise you should/shouldn't do. The bottom line, however, is this is about you - not about others and their opinions, advice, recommendations. If you are struggling doing what you "think" will work, then try something else - but don't let the recommendations and advice of others stress you out. Do what you NEED to do FOR YOU!! I look at this as a journey to a healthier and happier me. I do appreciate the support and encouragement of others, but I think that I "should" know my body better than anyone else, so it is up to me to do what I believe my body needs.

Having said all of that - I wish you the best blessings as you travel this journey to a healthier and happier you. Please feel free to add me as a friend if you choose.

Vickie
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. this site is very helpful. I love the support and the comments/ tips.

I also tend to lose focus after awhile, so we should stick together and we might be able to do this.

I am going to send you a friend request.
  • kelmc11
    kelmc11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new too. Hopefully we can do it. I agree that getting healthy is so important. Good luck... to us both!
  • Mailleman
    Options
    Hello Crystal,

Welcome to the site. I have just renewed my commitment to the fight as well. Its a tough fight, but one we must win for ourselves and those that we love. It's easy to get discouraged feel free to talk to me any time you would like to. I am not working right know due to health reasons so I am always around. My only job right know is getting the weight off. Good luck and looking forward to hear from you.
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the journey of a lifetime. It's well worth it and before you know it you'll be addicted to MFP. Here's to a healthy you! :drinker:
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on choosing a healthy lifestyle! And welcome to MFP! I'm kinda new here, too. I joined in August and love it here so much! I also have a very long way to go, but I am on my way! You will find lots of support and encouragement here. You will have your eyes opened, your attitude changed, and you will see positive changes. This site works if you work it. Best wishes to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • laDOLCEvita7
    Options
    Hello nice to meet you!! Im Stephanie, I have been a member of this site since the end of September, but I am finally getting serious about weight loss since December 1st. I have started a group that will offically start on January 1st. It's called "NO MORE EXCUSES JANUARY, LOSE 10+ LBS" you are more then welcome to join. You can find it under the motivation and support message board.
  • leandread
    leandread Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Welcome Aboard.
  • bubbacheese
    Options
    I'm just starting too , here is too a new us
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    Great to have you here! I've still got a long way to go as well! I've lost 14 pounds since the middle of October! Feel free to add me as a friend!