A Call for a Low-Carb Diet

Options

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    For the CICO deniers:
    Produce one study that shows eating MORE than you burn results in weight LOSS.
    Produce one study the shows eating LESS than you burn results in weight GAIN.

The problem with the "special snowflakes" is they can't figure out what their calories out part of the equation is. That requires data analysis, experimentation and patience. No calculator can accurately determine what your calories out is going to be, you have to do the work to figure it out.

This just shows your ignorance. This doesn't even make sense. And, it's not what most of the "CICO deniers" claim. Though I know it's easier for you to present false arguments against which you rail. Actually addressing legitimate arguments is much more difficult....but continue with your red herrings.
    Like always you got nothing!

What you're asking doesn't make sense. Extrapolating into absurdity and then declaring victory because the absurdity doesn't exist is the height of foolishness and ignorance. Well, maybe not the height, but definitely up there.

How about this one: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2005.79/full
    Different macros (low carb versus high carb) on women with different insulin sensitivity resulted in different weight loss. The insulin sensitive women lost more on the higher carb diet whereas the insulin resistant women lost more on the low carb high fat diet. Protein intakes were the same in both groups and they were isocaloric deficits.
    I knew it was coming with your presence but already we're going to start talking about insulin resistant people, pcos, etc as if everyone has the same issue?

Of course not, but pretending that something like insulin resistance isn't incredibly COMMON (over 40% of US adults have it at prediabetic or diabetic levels -- the vast majority of which are wholly unaware of it). is a disservice. And since insulin resistance makes is more difficult to lose weight and easier to put weight on, it makes sense that an even higher percentage of obese and overweight individuals have insulin resistance. And, guess what, lowering carbs helps those people lose weight more effectively. Pretty much in line with the study originally cited. Shocking...
    You want to show studies that show progress on people with insulin resistance to prove that low carb is more efficient for everyone. I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way.

And another thing, I am in no way trying to make believe insulin resistance doesn't exist. I just won't sit here and have a debate about a topic then as always you pop up with the same arguments about diabetics, this disease, that disease. You want to use those diseases in all your arguments. And why would I deny diabetic issues when my mother, father, stepfather are all diabetic. So spare me your ideas that I might be ignorant to the whole problem.

I know very well that you have been spoken to about your interaction on this site with me as I have been with you. Honestly I'm not even sure why we still see each others posts as that was supposed to have been blocked. But whatever. I'm not going to ha e the same old debate with you that ends down the same path.

No. I'm not saying that. In fact, I've never said that low carb is better for everyone. Please don't make up things I never said.

I'm saying that it is better for SOME people. For some people, it is a more effective strategy. In the original study cited in this thread, it apparently was more effective for obese people across racial spectrums as a general rule. I suspect in part is due to potential insulin resistance playing a role. Also probably due to the highly satiating nature of high fat, low carb diets -- makes it easier for many to produce a caloric deficit.

And if you don't want the debate, then simply stop replying. It's a self-solving problem.
    The issue is it always turns into a debate with you about the same diseases. Kind of boring.

Well, that's sort of sad that is all you see. For me, it's about biology, and some of it does involve diseases -- those that are particularly important to weight loss and weight maintenance. We can't all be a 5'5 dude clocking in at a buck 45.

He's only 5'5"?

He sounds a lot bigger.

So do chihuahuas -- his dog of choice.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Let me put it this way. If you had to give advice about weight loss in one single sentence and have it apply to the broadest audience possible would that sentence contain the word "carbs"?

For the record. Yes. And it would also include protein and fats.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    For the CICO deniers:
    Produce one study that shows eating MORE than you burn results in weight LOSS.
    Produce one study the shows eating LESS than you burn results in weight GAIN.

The problem with the "special snowflakes" is they can't figure out what their calories out part of the equation is. That requires data analysis, experimentation and patience. No calculator can accurately determine what your calories out is going to be, you have to do the work to figure it out.

This just shows your ignorance. This doesn't even make sense. And, it's not what most of the "CICO deniers" claim. Though I know it's easier for you to present false arguments against which you rail. Actually addressing legitimate arguments is much more difficult....but continue with your red herrings.
    Like always you got nothing!

What you're asking doesn't make sense. Extrapolating into absurdity and then declaring victory because the absurdity doesn't exist is the height of foolishness and ignorance. Well, maybe not the height, but definitely up there.

How about this one: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2005.79/full
    Different macros (low carb versus high carb) on women with different insulin sensitivity resulted in different weight loss. The insulin sensitive women lost more on the higher carb diet whereas the insulin resistant women lost more on the low carb high fat diet. Protein intakes were the same in both groups and they were isocaloric deficits.
    I knew it was coming with your presence but already we're going to start talking about insulin resistant people, pcos, etc as if everyone has the same issue?

Of course not, but pretending that something like insulin resistance isn't incredibly COMMON (over 40% of US adults have it at prediabetic or diabetic levels -- the vast majority of which are wholly unaware of it). is a disservice. And since insulin resistance makes is more difficult to lose weight and easier to put weight on, it makes sense that an even higher percentage of obese and overweight individuals have insulin resistance. And, guess what, lowering carbs helps those people lose weight more effectively. Pretty much in line with the study originally cited. Shocking...
    You want to show studies that show progress on people with insulin resistance to prove that low carb is more efficient for everyone. I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way.

And another thing, I am in no way trying to make believe insulin resistance doesn't exist. I just won't sit here and have a debate about a topic then as always you pop up with the same arguments about diabetics, this disease, that disease. You want to use those diseases in all your arguments. And why would I deny diabetic issues when my mother, father, stepfather are all diabetic. So spare me your ideas that I might be ignorant to the whole problem.

I know very well that you have been spoken to about your interaction on this site with me as I have been with you. Honestly I'm not even sure why we still see each others posts as that was supposed to have been blocked. But whatever. I'm not going to ha e the same old debate with you that ends down the same path.

No. I'm not saying that. In fact, I've never said that low carb is better for everyone. Please don't make up things I never said.

I'm saying that it is better for SOME people. For some people, it is a more effective strategy. In the original study cited in this thread, it apparently was more effective for obese people across racial spectrums as a general rule. I suspect in part is due to potential insulin resistance playing a role. Also probably due to the highly satiating nature of high fat, low carb diets -- makes it easier for many to produce a caloric deficit.

And if you don't want the debate, then simply stop replying. It's a self-solving problem.
    The issue is it always turns into a debate with you about the same diseases. Kind of boring.

Well, that's sort of sad that is all you see. For me, it's about biology, and some of it does involve diseases -- those that are particularly important to weight loss and weight maintenance. We can't all be a 5'5 dude clocking in at a buck 45.

He's only 5'5"?

He sounds a lot bigger.

So do chihuahuas -- his dog of choice.

Because, you know, it's been scientifically proven that GSDs are "better"

You'll post the study later....
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Yes it is about biology I get that. And some of it does involve diseases, yes. But your arguments all involve biology with diseases, all the time. Every time. You use it as a crutch.

And I'm not sure who you claim is 5'5" 145, not my stats.

What are your stats then?

Diseases are important when they impact weight loss -- the very purpose of this site -- and disproportionately so for overweight/obese people. It's about getting the most helpful information out to people. Sometimes a disease that affects over 40% of the population are, and should be, part of that discussion. For having so many people in your family afflicted by those very same diseases, it seems like you'd be more interested in such discussions.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Yes it is about biology I get that. And some of it does involve diseases, yes. But your arguments all involve biology with diseases, all the time. Every time. You use it as a crutch.

Diseases are important when they impact weight loss -- the very purpose of this site -- and disproportionately so for overweight/obese people. It's about getting the most helpful information out to people. Sometimes disease that after over 40% of the population are, and should be, part of that discussion. For having so many people in your family afflicted by those very same diseases, it seems like you'd be more interested in such discussions.

People with those diseases would be better off getting info from medical professionals than from "experts" from "Top 10" universities "in the world"
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

How is this relevant?
  • likitisplit
    Options

How is this relevant?

Hush now. Maybe there will be a main forum ban!!!
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Diseases are important when they impact weight loss -- the very purpose of this site -- and disproportionately so for overweight/obese people. It's about getting the most helpful information out to people. Sometimes disease that after over 40% of the population are, and should be, part of that discussion. For having so many people in your family afflicted by those very same diseases, it seems like you'd be more interested in such discussions.

People with those diseases would be better off getting info from medical professionals than from "experts" from "Top 10" universities "in the world"

Shows how much you know. I went 4 different "medical professionals", including 2 endos and they didn't get it right. It's a terribly common story. People need to be their own advocates. Western medicine is great for many things, but it's mostly catastrophe related and doesn't pick up problems until they're very, very bad.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Diseases are important when they impact weight loss -- the very purpose of this site -- and disproportionately so for overweight/obese people. It's about getting the most helpful information out to people. Sometimes a disease that affects over 40% of the population are, and should be, part of that discussion. For having so many people in your family afflicted by those very same diseases, it seems like you'd be more interested in such discussions.

Lol. You want to know my personal stats for what so you can parade them around and sling personal insults like you enjoy doing?

I have gladly placed my pictures out the my entire journey. I'm 5'7" and 155 lbs. Down from 220. Gladly I put my achievements out there. You have not ones shown anything, you hide behind a picture of the dog and cry about people with diseases.

Go ahead and take a personal attack for going from obese and sloppy to lean, with definition, strong and eating whatever I want. As I laugh at the ones who make excuses.

Me and my report button are here for you!
  • SummiD83
    SummiD83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
  • likitisplit
    Options

Shows how much you know. I went 4 different "medical professionals", including 2 endos and they didn't get it right. It's a terribly common story. People need to be their own advocates. Western medicine is great for many things, but it's mostly catastrophe related and doesn't pick up problems until they're very, very bad.

If I'm ever diagnosed with a thyroid condition, diabetes, etc., there are many resources I would use to learn more and advocate for myself.

One of which would not be you.
  • SummiD83
    Options
    Aloha! I can't say that the argument stating you need a deficit is incorrect.... but I will tell you all that I cut carbs to less than 30grams a day and did not track calories at all. I went from 200lbs to 145lbs in 4 months. I hit my goal weight in October 2013 and now sit at a comfortable 150. I always feel energized and have no binge problems or hunger pains the way I did when I weighed 200 and calorie counted. I love living the low carb lifestyle. It works for some and doesn't for others. It was also the hardest thing I ever did. Sugar is an addiction no matter if it's chocolate or white bread... it's all sugar.

It's all sugar and it's not an addiction.

My apologies for generalizing. I should have said that sugar for ME was an addiction and a very hard one for me to let go of. It was harder for me to stop eating sugar in all forms than it was for me to stop drinking and that, for me, was a very big deal.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Lol. You want to know my personal stats for what so you can parade them around and sling personal insults like you enjoy doing?

I have gladly placed my pictures out the my entire journey. I'm 5'7" and 155 lbs. Down from 220. Gladly I put my achievements out there. You have not ones shown anything, you hide behind a picture of the dog and cry about people with diseases.

Go ahead and take a personal attack for going from obese and sloppy to lean, with definition, strong and eating whatever I want. As I laugh at the ones who make excuses.

It's not about making excuses. It's about finding the most effective path for any given individual. You've done well for yourself. You should be proud. But there is no reason to denigrate others that may need to take a different path. It doesn't lessen your achievements.

You can climb the face of Half Dome. Or you can take the cables on the back side. Both get you to the top. But few are going to be able to climb the face whereas many more can take the cables. In the end, it's getting to the top that's important -- not how you get there.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Let me put it this way. If you had to give advice about weight loss in one single sentence and have it apply to the broadest audience possible would that sentence contain the word "carbs"?

Probably not, but not everything has to fit into a "one sentence summary" in order to be meaningful. To me, this all just boils down to the notion that satiation can play a meaningful role in weight loss, and avoiding many sources of carbohydrates can make for a more satiating diet overall for many people. It's easy to talk weight loss in terms of specific calories and macros and with an accurate food log in hand, but I think people on here all too often forget that it's not "normal" to weigh and log everything you eat. Most people simply do not do this and for the people that aren't tracking everything, avoiding certain sources of carbohydrates in a meal may allow them to still feel satiated while consuming fewer calories (and to be fair, there are some forms of carbohydrates that are very satiating as well). It's far from an exact science but most people do not live their life as a science experiment and it can still be useful for some people.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Aloha! I can't say that the argument stating you need a deficit is incorrect.... but I will tell you all that I cut carbs to less than 30grams a day and did not track calories at all. I went from 200lbs to 145lbs in 4 months. I hit my goal weight in October 2013 and now sit at a comfortable 150. I always feel energized and have no binge problems or hunger pains the way I did when I weighed 200 and calorie counted. I love living the low carb lifestyle. It works for some and doesn't for others. It was also the hardest thing I ever did. Sugar was an addiction for me. No matter if it was chocolate, fruit or bread... it's all sugar and I had a very hard time giving it up, but it was so worth it.
    Congrats on your loss!! Being MFP folks will tell you you lost the weight because you created a calorie deficit (which you did). Did you also change a lot about how you interact with food, you betcha. Did you perhaps change your blood sugar? Probably. Did you improve your health? YUP.

Congrats! You know what works for you. Keep doing it.
  • SummiD83
    Options
    Aloha! I can't say that the argument stating you need a deficit is incorrect.... but I will tell you all that I cut carbs to less than 30grams a day and did not track calories at all. I went from 200lbs to 145lbs in 4 months. I hit my goal weight in October 2013 and now sit at a comfortable 150. I always feel energized and have no binge problems or hunger pains the way I did when I weighed 200 and calorie counted. I love living the low carb lifestyle. It works for some and doesn't for others. It was also the hardest thing I ever did. Sugar is an addiction no matter if it's chocolate or white bread... it's all sugar.

Now, anyone who doesn't feel you need to stop at the convenience store every day for a liter-sized fountain drink will be lumped in with your "sugar is an addiction" comments.

Thanks for ending any potential for thoughtful discussion.

My apologies for generalizing. I should have said that sugar for ME was an addiction and a very hard one for me to let go of. It was harder for me to stop eating sugar in all forms than it was for me to stop drinking and that, for me, was a very big deal.

(Ah, who am I kidding?)
  • lindsey1979
    Options

If I'm ever diagnosed with a thyroid condition, diabetes, etc., there are many resources I would use to learn more and advocate for myself.

One of which would not be you.

Not a problem. There have been plenty of others than have thanked me for sharing my information. I wish I'd have run into some like me 10 years ago as I may have avoided some of the unnecessary difficulty I encountered. And it was people just like me on websites like this that ultimately pointed me in the right direction -- not the medical professionals, unfortunately.