How to stay motivated when weight loss is so slow

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Well, you could just quit...but the time is going to pass either way. That time can either pass with you making continued progress or not.

Also, maybe make it about more than just the scale...ultimately, it has to be about more than just the scale. If it's all about the scale, I can pretty much guarantee you're going to have maintenance issues.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who is encouraging you to gauge your success differently. Measurements, ability to lift heavier weights in your strength program, being able to do longer cardio sessions: those can be more important goals than the scale alone. I understand how hard it is to change that mindset because I'm in the middle of it myself right now, so I'm telling you exactly what I need to hear too. Be persistent and look for improvements in your body shape and your abilities.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Patience. Find the patience aisle at Costco and stock up on a bunch, because you need it.

You have no choice but to wait, so use your patience.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You need to shift your focus. As I have come to realize, what is going to "change" when you reach your goal? Well, hopefully nothing (if you want to stay at your goal). So learn to live life as a healthy person, and focus on that, not on what the scale says. I have come to enjoy going to the gym and the friendships I have built there. I have learned to eat in a way that is healthy for my body, I have found stress relief and well being by walking.

This is the secret, stop thinking of the number on the scale as your goal.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    then increase your deficit, with 30 lbs to lose you can lose a lot quicker than half a pound a week
  • mophead6
    mophead6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    look for any hidden taboos like sugars, caffeine, in your daily intake. be surefooted in your steps forward, do not yield to the quitter box.
  • cafilornia333
    cafilornia333 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful replies! Just reading your encouraging words of wisdom is motivating. It is such a big change from going to yo-yo dieting with quick results that don't last, to doing it right this time with a sustainable way of eating and exercising with results that I plan to last a lifetime. I absolutely love strength training and have definitely become stronger. I have a feeling that I could cut more calories though. I use IIFYM to give me my macros and calories. It says my TDEE is 1833 being sedentary (I prefer to add in my exercise calories by myself). I eat 1550 calories a day, and eat back some of my exercise calories. Macros are 136g carbs, 136g protein and 52g fat. I weigh 176 and am 5'8.5". Maybe 1550 calories is still too much? I want this lifestyle to be sustainable, but I do feel like with 30 lbs to go, I could safely be losing a bit more every week until I get closer to maintenance.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful replies! Just reading your encouraging words of wisdom is motivating. It is such a big change from going to yo-yo dieting with quick results that don't last, to doing it right this time with a sustainable way of eating and exercising with results that I plan to last a lifetime. I absolutely love strength training and have definitely become stronger. I have a feeling that I could cut more calories though. I use IIFYM to give me my macros and calories. It says my TDEE is 1833 being sedentary (I prefer to add in my exercise calories by myself). I eat 1550 calories a day, and eat back some of my exercise calories. Macros are 136g carbs, 136g protein and 52g fat. I weigh 176 and am 5'8.5". Maybe 1550 calories is still too much? I want this lifestyle to be sustainable, but I do feel like with 30 lbs to go, I could safely be losing a bit more every week until I get closer to maintenance.

I think you may the mixing and matching websites / calorie recommendation methods. If you get your numbers from websites I other than MFP most of them assume you won't eat back exercise calories. Additionally , it makes sense to use these methods since it can be hard to estimate calories from strength training. Like are you lifting throughout or do you have setup times, rest times etc. These will even vary from person to person doing the same program

If you're eating back even a portion of your exercise calories, that sounds more like basic MFP method. For this, plugging in your stats it says 1420 calories to lose 1 lb per week and 1670 for 1/2 lb. so the question I think is, do the calories you're eating above 1420 on average seem to account for how much you might have burned strength training? If no, then do reduce your calories consumed. If yes, then I would read some of the links posted previously and verify that you're not eating more than you think.

If you're not losing at your expected pace, you're either under estimating your calories consumed, or over estimating exercise calories

And to be clear, I've got nothing against a slow and steady weight loss. I myself have been doing 1/2 lb per week, intentionally, for the last ~30 lbs