Back -- and recommitted to making change!

Options
I was on MFP for about 6-9 months or so back in 2009. Unfortunately, I wasn't making an progress and was discouraged and then lost my job, so I visited less regularly. At that time, I had an annual physical and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. It was both positive and negative news for me. The plus side was that now I knew a little more about my body, and why I've gained so much weight over the past couple years. (I also wasn't going to let myself off the hook, and I know that my diet and exercise choices have also contributed to the weight -- 25 pounds since July 2008). The downside was that I felt like there was this NEW obstacle standing in my way. I felt like I had to train like a triathlete just to drop a pound or two. I was very discouraged. It didn't help matters that I had two people I work with ask me if I was pregnant, because of the weight gain around my middle.

After several months of medication and testing and retesting, I think I've got my thyroid where it needs to be. Unfortunately, the medication isn't going to take off this weight but I think it will stop the momentum of weight gain that I've experienced. I haven't worked out regularly for a long time and I've been lax in my commitment to eating right. And I realize that I MISS it! I miss getting my heartrate up, getting out of breath from running or taking a dance class. I miss the post-work out endorphin rush, and sitting my couch at night still feeling proud of myself (instead of feeling guilty and lazy). And lately my body craves healthy food instead of crap. (Granted, this culminated on a very VERY bad day at work yesterday where I had a donut for lunch simply because it was there! I've been on a sugar binge this month). Anyway, I also missed how MFP gave me great ideas and how good it felt to make a healthy choice and then record it. It's like giving myself a gold star for a day.

So, I am back! :smile: Thank you for letting me share!

Replies

• spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! We've all been there, the fact that you came back shows that you have what it takes to do it this time. Do it for you and don't worry what anyone else thinks. You will start turning heads when they see all the weight you will be losing. Now that you know what helped cause the weight gain and are under medication, you will do great! Just do it and you can add me as a friend for moral support.
  • bionicdiver
    bionicdiver Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! Hang in there and don't hesitate to lean on us for support!