Healthy Appetizers?

Kminor67
Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
My brother throws a New Year's Eve party at his house every year, and it's a pot-luck with a theme. This year's theme is appetizers. I was pretty excited about it, because I was going to make sushi, but my sister-in-law is making it, so I have to think of something else. Does anyone have any suggestions of a healthy, low cal appetizer that I could make for the party? If you have a recipe, please share! Thanks!!!

Replies

• CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Here is a link to some recipes:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Healthy-Cooking/Low-Calorie/Appetizers/ViewAll.aspx

The parmesan asparagus and zucchini chips looks delicious!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,809 Member
    I slow roast roma tomatoes in the oven and serve them with some low fat feta cheese. You can add some kalamata olives as well, but that would up the calories. All in all it is still a healthy appetizzer. Here is the recipe for the tomatoes

8 plum tomatoes
    Olive Oil Cooking Spray
    1 tablespoons garlic powder
    Fresh Cracked Black Pepper, to taste

1.Preheat the oven to 225°. Line a cookie sheet with heat duty foil and spray the foil with some of the cooking spray so the the tomatoes to do stick.
    2.Cut the top off each tomato, then cut each tomato length wise, scoop out the seeds and place cut side up on the cookie sheet. Spray one row of tomatoes and then the next. Sprinkle with the garlic powder and black pepper.
    3.Cook for 1 hour and then check the tomatoes. Cook for another 30 minutes if needed.
    4.Enjoy.

Each tomato is 22 calories.

And here is a link to the recipe online. http://www.myveggietable.com/2010/10/lower-fat-oven-dried-tomatoes.html
  • tiddlyjinx
    tiddlyjinx Posts: 181 Member
    These are really good. Makes approx 40 meatballs

Sweet & Sour Meatballs

Meatballs:
    • 1 pound ground turkey
    • 1 cup cooked brown rice
    • 1 - 8 ounce can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
    • 1/2 cup green onions
    • 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
    • 1 teaspoon ginger
    Sauce:
    • 3/4 cup reduced sodium, low fat chicken broth
    • 1/3 cup chili sauce
    • 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
    • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    Combine the meatball ingredients in a medium bowl, and mix thoroughly. Line a baking sheet with foil (This makes for easier cleanup). Place cooking racks in foil lined baking sheet, Shape meatballs, and place on the racks. Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 25 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Transfer the meatballs to serving dish. Cover with foil to keep warm.
    Combine the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan, and stir until the cornstarch is dissolved. Place over medium heat, and cook and stir until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and cook and stir for another minute, or until the mixture thickens slightly. Pour the sauce over the meatballs. Gently toss to coat meatballs with sauce. Serve warm with toothpicks for grabbing.
    Hint: You can keep warm in chafing dish or on a warmer.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    I tried 2 new recipes for thanksgiving.
    1 was a winner everybody loved, the other was okay, but a little bland and needs some tweaking.

Here is the one everyone loved... easy enough to scale according to the size of your crowd. (so I'll leave quantities up to you)

Seedless cucumber
    Smoked Salmon (the salmon "bits" work fine)
    NonFat Plain Yogurt (or reduced fat sour cream)
    Dill ( I couldn't find fresh in my market that day, but the dried worked out fine I just mixed a few tablespoons of yogurt & dill together the night before to let it rehydrate)

Make a simple sauce of the yogurt & dill chill to let the flavors blend.

Top slices of seedless cucumber with a piece of smoked salmon a small dollop of the yogurt dill sauce

For the other I topped slices of teeny tiny baby potatoes (cooked, but still firm not mushy) with Trader Joes Artichoke & roasted red pepper tapenade (drain the juices first) and then on top of that I put a small square of the Trader Joes roasted seaweed.

1) I should have waited till I arrived at my sister's house before putting the seaweed on, because after wrapping it up and taking a 1/2 hour car ride it got soggy

2) I thought was a little bland for my tastes it could have used some hot sauce or garlic or something to give it a little kick.

So really I think this one was a good starting point and I will try some variations on this to improve this one

But these were healthy foods and nobody recoiled in fear of "Aunt Barbara's diet food" (NOBODY ELSE complained about the potato one, but I thought it could have been better)

(the tomato/Feta/black olive thing by AMYGIRL71 sounds pretty awesome too. I'm going to try that)
This discussion has been closed.