Looking for fellow Michiganders

Options
I was curious to see how many people from Michigan are using this site. I joined a week ago and totally love the site. I need more friends though for motivation and encouragement. This cold weather makes me want to curl up under a blanket and sleep. Not a good thing to do when you want to lose weight!

I would like to lose about 50 pounds. Previously I lost 100 but gained 50 of it back. This time around seems a LOT harder than before. I think part of that is the weather. When I started before it was in the spring and had lost 30 pounds before winter set in so I had my routine down.

Anyone care to share how they beat the winter blues?

Replies

• darknanc
    Options
    I am a Michigan native and I have been using this site for about three months. I love it! It has been so helpful. I have lost 10 pounds so far.

I understand what you mean about the cold being demotivating. I usually do Zumba at home in the mornings about three days a week...at least I don't have to leave the comfort of my home! :)

I also have a horse and ride four or five days a week when it's not too cold but lately it sure has been :(

Don't get me started on the office holiday parties....it's so hard to be good!
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm not from Michigan but a close neighbor you can add me as a friends most all my friends have given up looking for friends who refuse to quit is a bonus.
  • maxolivia
    Options
    I'm in Kalamazoo. I am also freezing. Its so hard to get motivated in this weather. This site is great and everyone will help you out!
  • jerryc48134
    Options
    I am from Downriver Michigan
  • rahx27
    Options
    I am from Southeast Michigan. It is definitely very cold! I try to warm myself up by cleaning, like running the vacuum, then I'm not so cold and actually feel like exercising.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Im not from Michigan -- but from Wisconsin.
    I have a ton of weight to lose, but am working through this one day at a time.
    This season is hard, too many unexpected snacks, treats, cookies, etc. My goal is just to hold tight until the end of the holiday season.
    I run ... slowly... and am always looking for people who are starting out or like to run.
    I am currently training for a half marathon! :)
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    From G.R. area, just joined this week and really enjoy it too! Just sent ya a friend request.
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm from grand rapids MI! the cold is not so fun for motivation...unless its for winter sports LOL! good luck on your weightloss journey, this is a great site!
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Oh, and I do classes at the local Y (inside! warm! hot tub afterwards!) Get to know a few regulars for accountibility. The instructors/trainers push me harder than I would ever push myself. Good luck!
  • VoxSapiens
    VoxSapiens Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Michigan is represented!

Just a note: It goes without saying that depression and depression-related conditions influence weight-gain and loss as well as one's adherence to a diet and exercise plan. If you're having serious "winter blues", you might benefit from treatments for depression and seasonal affective disorder.

Aside from that, winter is more challenging. It's certainly less-enticing to spend time outside. I try to schedule myself for activities out of the house, interacting with others, and the like. I am a student and somewhat self-employed so I can easily go for days without going outside and not even realize it if I'm too focused on a project. This isn't healthy and I found that, for me at least, actually scheduling times going out--something as simple as going to a bookstore, not necessarily a big social engagement--goes a long way to beat back the "winter blues".
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I also live in SE Michigan! Welcome!
  • MyViolet
    MyViolet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hello from another cold Michigander! Born and raised in the Grand Rapids area but now in Midland and Bellaire. I go to a fitness center to stay motivated. This is a great site!
  • Phatpatty
    Phatpatty Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hello from another Michigander!!! I hate the cold but <3 the snow!! I live between Lansing and G.R.... a small hillbilly town!!! I just joined a local gym, and I am getting in the routine of going to the gym when I go tanning--- Yes bad for me , but heck it beats the winter blues!!.... Try to find things to do outdoors even for ten or fifteen minutes. A little makes a big difference!! I know sledding sounds extreme, but a few trips all those stairs, or that hill with all your gear on and you will be burning TONS of calories!!! Good Luck :)
  • pamelasusan
    pamelasusan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Southeast Michigan here.......dang it's cold out!

Spent the night at historical Greenfield Village (Henry Ford Museum) for their Holiday Nights. I can't feel my legs.

Add me as a friend. Here for the long haul!

Pam
  • akaDuchess
    akaDuchess Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Mid-Michigan says hello! I jump between mid-MI and TC. I just set up an account today but have been intentional about weight loss since this past June (lost @ 35 pounds). MI in the winter definitely messes with your motivation. I'm working on getting through the holidays w/o gaining weight and then continuing my weight loss journey. I'm still looking for the right exercise routine that works with my schedule and interests.

I'm glad you're going after the fifty pounds you put back on! I just got down to the weight I got to with Weight Watchers five years ago. (Put it all back on plus another thirty or more pounds.) This time it's staying off!

Add me as a friend. It's nice to have people that know what you are going through and can encourage you along the way!
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Awesome to see so many fellow Michiganders on this site!!! I have found this site to be VERY supportive and motivating!! I am SO close to begin maintaining my weight and it is because of this site and the people on here!!!

I agree it is cold outside!!! I ran for the last time outside...ran and slipped at the end of my block! Nothing bruised...except my pride :embarassed:

I do have a treadmill so I run on that and also do different DVD's for strength training.

Good luck to all of you on your journey and feel free to friend me for additional support and motivation!!!:flowerforyou:

Melissa