Calling all penguins...

Options
Hello to everyone. I love this website, but just discovered it a few days ago.
I started at 275 pounds -- I am currently down to about 248 pounds.
In June 2010 I decided I was sick and tired of being fat and out of shape and so I started running...
Well in the early days it was mostly walking with short 30 seconds runs thrown in there.

I have slowly improve and increased my runs... I wont say Im fast (because I am ridiculously slow) but all that matter to me is that I am pushing myself and giving it 100 percent!

I have done several 5K races, one 5 mile race, and I am currently preparing for a half marathon. My plan is to finish in last ... but im ok with that because just to finish is an amazing thing for me.

This is a lifestyle change, not just a crash diet, so I am hoping that over time I will continue to improve and go faster.

I do love chocolate and sweets of all kinds, which is my total downfall.

I am looking for anyone who is my size... or who likes running... or who is thinking about running... or really anyone who is supportive and needs friends!

Thank you for this website!

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I am a penguin and damn proud of it!!!! Welcome to the site.

You know you are a penguine when.....the truck that pick up the cones is behind you!!!!
  • Manda1987
    Options
    I started at 263, am now down to 244. I want to start running (C25K) once the winter clears off (running in snow and ice is not so fun), but in the meantime I'm just trying to get exercise where I can. I'll be going to the gym regularly once I get back from my winter vacation. If you want a friend, feel free to add me!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Dude, I'm 150 and I can't run a 5k! Keep it up! Finishing is finishing!!!
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Good for you for even doing a 5k! Let alone doing several! Awesome!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I am a penguin and damn proud of it!!!! Welcome to the site.

You know you are a penguine when.....the truck that pick up the cones is behind you!!!!

LOL - Yep I agree with this phrase!
    I am assuming that I will be trailed by the ambulance the whole way because the website talks about how medical staff will be at the back of the pack ... there wont be any farther back than me. The funny part is going to be when we go to start, my cousin who runs a 10-11mm mile is going to want me to line up with him ... and I will have to go ... far back.

Last year the last finisher was 3h 5min... no way in heck can I beat that ... so I am just mentally preparing myself!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I started at 263, am now down to 244. I want to start running (C25K) once the winter clears off (running in snow and ice is not so fun), but in the meantime I'm just trying to get exercise where I can. I'll be going to the gym regularly once I get back from my winter vacation. If you want a friend, feel free to add me!

Manda,
    Take the time during winter to focus on being able to walk fast and it will serve you well for when you start C25K. To be honest... I abadoned that program and started using Jeff Galloways program. I currently do 4 minutes running 2 minutes walking most of the time (occasionally 6 or 8 or 10 minutes just depends on how I feel).
    You can do this though ...trust me if I can run you can too!
  • uncreativename
    Options
    hi everyone! i am new to this site. I need all the help i can get. Ive been overweight all my life. I am a veteran and was overweight for most of it then put on another 50 lbs when i got out =/ over the past 4 years ive lost a total of 40 lbs, lots of ups and downs and unhealthy dieting... now i have 40 more to go but i feel im in a rut. I am disabled, hypothyroid, and need surgery next week. i was up to working out almost 2 hrs a day which is a miracle (i was told i might never walk again, and i was running stairs!!) now ive been bedridden for a week and gained 4 lbs its so frustrating. Im looking for a community to help me emotionally and mentally. Im an over eater and a recovering bulemic so binging is a huge problem, which is part of my 4 lb gain lol oh well.... ok i think i ranted enough!

ps its so exciting to hear about ppl that went from "out of shape" into running 5ks etc. my favorite part about watching biggest loser is the marathon at the end, its still a goal of mine!!