NSV - Ran my first 10min mile!!

Options
Hey all... I haven't been posting here for a while. I've really been struggling with my weight and just haven't been as good as I ought to have been, so I've been avoiding posting... but I just had to post today!

I know it may not seem like much, but today when I went out for an early morning run... I managed my first ever 10min mile!!!

I've been pushing so hard to get to that point. I started out not being able to even run a full mile... I could barely run for a full min, and then I gradually became able to run a mile, but it was taking me about 13-15 mins to get that mile. I always had it in my head that I was 5'3... I had short legs, I was over 200lbs, there was just no way I'd ever be able to do a mile in 10mins... but I did and I'm over the moon!
I know it's not much when you see others doing something wild like 6min miles, but I just wanted to share, because I'm stoked right now!

Replies

• fe2o3girl
    Options
    Wow! Well done!
  • Tribesmama
    Options
    Well done huni keep up the good work :)
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Well done you! I can only dream of a 10min mile.

my record is 13.10min and I could have jumped for joy, if my legs weren't so sore that is!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Congratulations!
  • larrewl
    larrewl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Did you achieve this goal by growing taller, your legs have lengthened, or from jogging? :laugh:
  • JoanneP1369
    JoanneP1369 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    That's brilliant. 10 minutes is my goal, managed to do 11.15 so getting there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    10 minute miles are my goal at the moment! i am at 10.5 at the moment... so close yet so far!

well done!!!
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Well done! It's amazing the change our bodies are capable of if we are willing to push them!
  • lsloper
    lsloper Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Nice job!!!

I also did my very first outside 10 minute mile!! Feels good!!
  • cahf
    cahf Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think you should be really proud! That is really fantastic. I can't wait until the day that I can do that - right now I keep building up really slowly and still keep ending up with injuries - foot trouble - so I may have to wait until I lose more. Keep it up!
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB!
  • emy_r
    emy_r Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Managing a 10 minute mile is one of my goals! Congratulations! You have every reason to be excited and proud! I'm still at the 13-14 minute pace, but I'm getting faster all the time. Enjoy your success!
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Way to go. *highfive* to another runner. :)
    Think of it this way, being short just makes it all that more awesome! hehe
    I'm 5'2" by the way, working towards a 6-7 min./mile.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    great job! keep up the good work!
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    WOOHOO! I have friendly envy for you big time! :D Awesome work!!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Awesome congratulations I have only successfully been able to do that in a 10k. I have trouble with speed when I am jogging by myself.

29509743.png
  • AShannon54
    AShannon54 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    That is great! My average is about 10:45 and my goal is 10. I have enjoyed and just completed the Couch to 5K program. C25K helped ease me into running and the free app on my phone really helped guide me through the runs.
  • crazyqueencarla
    crazyqueencarla Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It was a total surprise for me. I haven't timed a mile in a while... I think the last time I did was on a treadmill, but running outside is a whole different thing. I'm super excited... I can't wait until I can run 3 miles at that pace, and then 6 and so on. As much as I hate waking up at the butt crack of dawn to run, I love the feeling after I'm done. It's cool... I never thought I'd be able to call myself a runner and now I feel like I finally earned that title.
    ^_^
  • keladry89
    keladry89 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good job! Keep it up :] I'm ramping up the milage myself. :]
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    awesome!

i started out 2 years ago at 5.5mph, or about an 11 minute mile. Late last year I ran a mile at 10mph, or 6 minutes. Now I average around 7 minutes. It will get easier, keep it up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!