bc pill

Options
I switched my birth control pill a few months ago and have gained 10 lbs! This is very frustrating to me!!! I plan on switching pills again at the end of the month. Anyone else ever experience this? Suggestions and stories appreciated!

Replies

• mandy521
    mandy521 Posts: 4
    Options
    I switched my birth control pill a few months ago and have gained 10 lbs! This is very frustrating to me!!! I plan on switching pills again at the end of the month. Anyone else ever experience this? Suggestions and stories appreciated!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I just had to go on the pill again and am extremely nervous. So I'm kind of wondering the same thing? If it's not too personal, what brand are you using? I hear the higher the estrogen, the more likely you are to store the fat cells, but I don't know if that's just an excuse or not. Of course, since i went off them 8 months ago, I gained 10 lb. I was actually wondering if going back on them would make me lose it? Wishful thinking?
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I could never take it, even the low dose. I gained weight and cried every day.
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Yeah, BC always made me a raging B*tch!!! I am being a bit dramatic but it really did screw me up (I tried MANY different kinds) so as soon as I got married the pills went in the trash! Hubby and I use over-the-counter contraceptives when we idn't want to get prego. We accidentally (purposely) slipped up when we got prego with my little boy - OopS!!! Haha!

I've heard the lower the dose the better. Have you talked to your doctor about YAZ??? It sounds like a good product. :huh:
  • mandy521
    Options
    Loestrin is the name of my pill. It is supposed to be a very low dose pill. I can tell a difference in my mood and my body. I hate it! I wish my husband could take a pill instead!
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Loestrin is the name of my pill. It is supposed to be a very low dose pill. I can tell a difference in my mood and my body. I hate it! I wish my husband could take a pill instead!

haha!!! We can only hope!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Loestrin is the one I'm on too. I just started again this past week. I'm giving it two months. I've had my two beautiful babies, so I'm not opposed to getting the whole plumbing removed, but I figured I'd give this one last try. If you find something better, PLEASE let me know.
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    i was on ortho evra and the pills for 5 years and gained so MUCH weight after having my second child. then i went off and within a year i lost 15-20 pounds. have you consider the one where they put a ring on your uterus?
  • pauladavies86
    pauladavies86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My sis in law went on bc a few months before her wedding and gained like 20 lbs! The doc told her to stick it out for like 3 months and things went back to normal for her (thank god!) just in time for the wedding. I've recently switched from a pill to nuva ring which I've heard is better because since it put inside and is so close to your uterus it doesn't need to leave as many crazy hormones in your body that can make you gain weight. I haven't had any problems with it and it's nice not worrying about taking a pill every morning. I've also heard VERY GOOD things about Mirena which is an IUD but some doctors won't put one in you until after you've had at least one child because then you're a little stretched out. Anyway, good luck finding the right birth control for you!
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Any form of birth control will make you gain weight because of the hormones. I'm so glad I'm done with that, had my tubal ligation after my second son!
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    BC pills and the IUD made me gain weight. They do make a pill for hubby's. It is called pop an aspirin between your knees and refuse to let go until he gets snipped! or was that just me. Like everything, gaining weight on the pill or any form of bc is dependent upon your body. So far the list of things that make me gain weight:
    BC of any sort
    Food of any sort
    Stress of any sort
    Why can't we just direct dial a new chemistry makeup for our bodies.
  • mandy521
    Options
    Thanks for all the input - makes me feel a little better. Doctors have tried to tell me that the pill doesn't make you gain weight, but I don't believe it. My diet hasn't changed and I workout even more now than I did a few months ago. Thanks again!
  • Me_Im_2b
    Me_Im_2b Posts: 165
    Options
    I'm on bc for medical reasons and I haven't gained any weight, I've actually been losing at a pretty steady pace. The name of mine is tri-sprintec, it's very low dose... Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    My mom, both sisters, and I all had very nasty reactions to BCP. I really think it just depends on the person. Some people are very sensitive to the hormones.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    My doctor tells me that different pills affect different people differently. The right pill for you will not affect your mood or your body weight.

For me, the tri-cyclic pills (where the hormone dose is different over each of 3 "active" weeks) makes me feel very depressed in the last week (before my period). It did not make me gain weight, however.

For the last 2 years, I've been on a mono-cyclic pill (same dose during alll 3 "active" weeks), and it's been a real success. No mood swings, no weight gain, much lighter periods and clearer skin.
  • deec
    deec Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have just switched over to this one also ,Loestrin (2days) because of the migraines i would get when off of the estrogen ....never thought about the weight gain, I hope to not gain any!!:frown: arg!!
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I just had an IUD in last month! No problems so far. And still losing weight.
    I'm DONE with kids, so that was my option.
    My doctor refuses to use Mirena, b/c he doesn't like the added hormones. So I got the other one, Paragard. (I think that's how it's spelled) It's fine so far. Barely any bleeding or discomfort.
    Good luck!