wii exercises

Options
How do you calculate calories burned doing wii sports?? bowling, tennis boxing etc...

Replies

• hillibobs
    hillibobs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    does the game not give you the amount of calories burned?
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor to track for me.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Because of my asthma and various clients heart medications, I don't use heart rate monitors because they can over or under estimate calorie burn based on the medications effect on heart rate. Same thing if you consume caffeine withing 3-4 hours of your workout (it will over estimate calories burned). So, for myself and my clients, I use the information in these studies for average burns doing those activities since they aren't on the METs compendium I normally use.

http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/WiiFit102009.pdf

http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/WiiStudy.pdf

I actually use the average VO2 and convert it to METs to multiply by my weight to get a more accurate calorie burn. You can do that by dividing by 3.5 then multiplying by your weight in kilograms to get calories per hour. Then multiply by the time you actually worked out (0.5 for a half hour for example). To avoid the extra math, though, you can take the average kcal/min and multiply by the number of minutes you worked out to get calories burned, but it won't be as accurate as going by your specific weight.
  • leastwood
    Options
    If you find out, will you post it?
    I would like to know, too!
    I want to buy the "Zumba" for the wii.
    I love it, it is more like playing than "working out" but I get a great workout!
  • Jenn421
    Options
    I play just dance 1,2 and you`re shape and they both tell you how many calories you are burning so im not usre about all them so just see in the settings if you can and i love my wii work outs expecailly just dacne cuz it does feel like your playing a game more then working out
  • mzoe60
    mzoe60 Posts: 11
    Options
    I want to get Zumba for wii also!!!! Oh my gracious Zumba is so incredibly awesome!!!
  • Buttsmom
    Buttsmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    They are listed in the exercise database here, not sure how accurate they are, but it's what I use.