Baby Steps Exercise Challenge

iwannawearatutu
iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Starting January 1st I will be following a "baby steps" approach to exercising 5x a week. Based on an idea I got from this article:

http://zenhabits.net/get-off-your-butt-16-ways-to-get-motivated-when-youre-in-a-slump/

I'll be doing two minutes of exercise a day during week one, five minutes in week two, seven minutes in week three, and so on. The idea is to build on small, achievable goals so you are always building on success. It's not so much about calories burned as building a consistent habit of exercising regularly.

I'm not sure where I will stop building on my exercise time, I'm hoping to go the whole year, but I will have to see what's practical.

Does anyone want to join me? I'd love to have a couple of buddies following the same plan. We could have a weekly thread or something to check in with each other... honestly, I've never really participated in a challenge so I'm not quite sure how it would work! :)

Replies

• i'm with you. I have a hard time pushing myself to workout 5 minutes right now. I'm going to try to do mine in 4 minute increments though. I have a lot of extra weight to burn off. HAHA. How can I save this post to be able to come back to it?
  • cryslynn1980
    cryslynn1980 Posts: 111 Member
    This is a great idea to make yourself accountable and to help you be successful. I think I will try it with you. Good luck ;0)
  • iwannawearatutu
    Glad to have you aboard kacyc1117! Just be sure you're not taking on too much with your four minute increments. If it starts to get too tough you can always scale back to adding two minutes a week though. :)

As for the thread, it should just be automatically saved under where it says My Topics - right between Recent Posts and Signature.
  • iwannawearatutu
    Welcome Cryslynn!! :)
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    This is exactly how I started: I started on the elliptical with 15 minutes everyday, then increased 1 minutes each week until I hit 30 minutes. I am still losing weight working about 6 days a week on the elliptical, eating under my calories, eating at least 1/2 my exercise calories and sometimes most of them, drinking 7 glasses of water.
This discussion has been closed.