OK for a 13yo boy to lift weights?

Options

Replies

• Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    What's up with just being a kid?

He is a kid and he wants to do this. I'm not pushing him. I'm asking advice of people who may know a lot more than me about this.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

He is a kid and he wants to do this. I'm not pushing him. I'm asking advice of people who may know a lot more than me about this.

Keep him at 75% 1 rm for 6-12 reps on all the major lifts and he will be fine. If he can do more than 12 reps, increase the weight. If he wants to set PRs, just make sure it's not too often. Once a month is just fine.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    13 is really the perfect time for someone to start lifting. I wish I had started then instead of waiting for my late '20s.

Also, like everyone else who lifts, he SHOULD be lifting heavy (and progressively heavier), as long as his form is good. Yes, he shouldn't start out at his body weight from day 1, but once his form is good with light weights, he should be moving towards heavy lifting. This is what strength training is all about, and that's exactly what he needs as a beginner (particularly a "stocky" one, whose natural strength hormones are just kicking in).

I can't imagine what justification all these "don't let him lift heavy" people think they have for giving such poor advice.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the implications of weight lifting at young ages, but in my own case I started lifting weights when I was 15. I was always an overweight kid, and my cousin brought me to his gym and set me on a programme of weight circuits with high reps. I really enjoyed it, and still have most of the muscular framework I developed back then, 20 years ago now :)

That said, I would look into any implications to his development, if he were to adopt a programme at such a young age. If its fine, go for it I say, if it's not, perhaps look at other ways for him to build fitness.

Myself, if I had it all over again, and especially if 13, I would go the calisthenics/ bodyweight training route. I think this would give him a good basis of strength that could be applied to all sorts of other interests he may pursue, such as sports/ martial arts/ athlethics/ etc. Weightlifting would also give him strength, but my personal opinion is that unless he's focussing on compound lifts with heavy weights, the gains may be more in muscularity than in strength. I make a clear distinction here between those two by the way, as the strongest guys were most often the wiry powerlifters in my gym, not the often much more muscular bodybuilders.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    Maybe we should define "heavy". Heavy is considered 85% + 1rm. A 13 year old old should not be lifting that heavy. He can gain considerable muscle lifting 75% his max for 6-12 reps. (Adding weight once he is able to hit 12 reps x3.)
    13 is really the perfect time for someone to start lifting. I wish I had started then instead of waiting for my late '20s.

Also, like everyone else who lifts, he SHOULD be lifting heavy (and progressively heavier), as long as his form is good. Yes, he shouldn't start out at his body weight from day 1, but once his form is good with light weights, he should be moving towards heavy lifting. This is what strength training is all about, and that's exactly what he needs as a beginner (particularly a "stocky" one, whose natural strength hormones are just kicking in).

I can't imagine what justification all these "don't let him lift heavy" people think they have for giving such poor advice.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should do a little research before telling people they are full of it. It is well documented that overly strenuous, heavy weight damages growth plates, tendons and ligaments in young teens ... Should he be trying to set new 1rm PRs ? NO!!!

Whenever someone says "It is well documented" but gives no documentation, they are talking out their *kitten*.

Also, no one here said anything about powerlifting. Some seem to be confused what "heavy" means in regards to strength training.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    Arnie started weight training @ 15.

I've got 2 boys and i'll be happy with them doing bodyweight/gymnastics work until they're 15 then they can start weightlifting.

Why not set him a challenge. Once he can do 100 pressups and 20 pullups without pausing then he can have weights.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    When I played football, at 13, we lifted weights. Just the basics to get stronger. If he wants to, and has no medical reason why he shouldnt, I say have at it.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    It's not my responsibility to do your research. Google is your friend. There are a lot of studies from legitimate sources. I suggest you pick one that you deem relevant. Since some here believe the mayo clinic is full of chit.

"Heavy" is subjective to the lifter. And in all my years heavy has been defined as 85%+ 1rm. Surely you aren't telling her that it's perfectly ok for her 13 year old to be lifting 85% his 1 rm on a regular basis?
    Maybe you should do a little research before telling people they are full of it. It is well documented that overly strenuous, heavy weight damages growth plates, tendons and ligaments in young teens ... Should he be trying to set new 1rm PRs ? NO!!!

Whenever someone says "It is well documented" but gives no documentation, they are talking out their *kitten*.

Also, no one here said anything about powerlifting. Some seem to be confused what "heavy" means in regards to strength training.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    yes, he can lift... just make sure he knows his limits and be there with him at all times.
  • Kattarra
    Options
    So for the record...I have no intention of letting my son lift "heavy" at 85% of max at this moment in time. He just wants to lose a little weight. We will see what happens a few months from now.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Sign him up for football... (Might be too late for this season) or wrestling... they will get him working out and in shape in no time!
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Here's an article from the Mayo Clinic on the topic. They actually say strength training can begin as early as 8, so I iamagine it's fine for a 13 year old.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/tween-and-teen-health/in-depth/strength-training/art-20047758

But they do have an important caveat:

"Don't confuse strength training with weightlifting, bodybuilding or powerlifting. These activities are largely driven by competition, with participants vying to lift heavier weights or build bigger muscles than those of other athletes. This can put too much strain on young muscles, tendons and areas of cartilage that haven't yet turned to bone (growth plates) — especially when proper technique is sacrificed in favor of lifting larger amounts of weight."

That's valuable because you want him focusing on his own development, not competing with others, especially because we grow at different rates, so one 13 year old may have developed more than the 13 year old standing next to him.

Personally, I prefer to keep bodyweight workouts as the core of my regimen, but I can definitely appreciate the value added by watching the weights being lifted increase. Such visible progress can be a very encouraging factor for someone starting out.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    He will be fine. What I consider "heavy" (and is the general consensus among the weightlifting community) is 85% of your 1 rm weight. This usually gives a max rep count of 4-6. If he can't lift 6+ with good form! it's too heavy *for him*. If he can do more than 12 reps (x3) it's too light and he can go slightly heavier. 6-12 reps is not high reps, it's pretty standard. 70-75% of his max is not considered "light" either. I never said light weight and high reps. I said no "heavy" lifting for now.
    So for the record...I have no intention of letting my son lift "heavy" at 85% of max at this moment in time. He just wants to lose a little weight. We will see what happens a few months from now.
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    I can't say whether or not it's safe for a 13 year old to be lifting, or how much they should be lifting; totally not my expertise so I'll stay out of it. But I can say that if he's starting from nothing, he could even be doing a lot of resistance training without weights. My program lately has been almost entirely bodyweight things - pushups, lunges, planks, ab work, pull ups, etc. and it's still hard, and I'm still improving quickly. If he's starting from nothing like I was, this WILL be helpful and effective. At the very least, it's a starting point; and once you figure out how to approach heavier lifting, he'll have a jump start on that basic level of strength and muscle.

For what it's worth, I know my husband started lifting kind of young, too. His dad started him on it in 7th grade. He has the most defined muscles of any of the men in my life, and his workout routine is mostly body weight stuff like I described. He also uses a pair of 25 lb dumbbells, but that's it. No gym membership, no heavier equipment than that at home, but he still has huge biceps and pecs, a great back, and defined abs. Your son may see big improvements before you even need to worry about whether or not he's lifting too much for his age.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    My son is slightly on the heavy side, not much but he is starting to feel self conscious about it. He has seen the results his 20yo cousin get from lifting weights and wants to do it. This kid is strong and used to working outside on our small property fruit orchard. I go to a gym and lift so I can show him some exercises I do, but I'm not sure what good started exercises are for a young teen boy..

#1 Check with your doctor before you do anything..
    #2 - Have him use his Body weight to work out. Pushups, Burpees etc...
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member
    Options

I think you're doing great, encouraging him to do it the right way!! Too many 13 year olds are choosing to be a kid, by gaming and being on their phones 24/7.
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    he shouldn't be doing exercises with added weight. pull-ups, dips, push-ups and, most importantly, CARDIO for kids of that age is essential.
  • Kattarra
    Options

I think you're doing great, encouraging him to do it the right way!! Too many 13 year olds are choosing to be a kid, by gaming and being on their phones 24/7.

Oh believe me this has been a hot topic in our household. I'm very proud of him though for wanting to start to make some healthy changes. He's played football, baseball, and basketball. He loves basketball but he's not good enough to play on the city team and in our small town there is no other basketball option for 7th grade and up. We've taken a boxing class but that is only one day a week. I'm hoping weight training is something he will enjoy.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    Moving weight is moving weight. The source is irrelevant. If he can push weight in a pushup, he can bench. If he can pull his bodyweight during a pull up, he can use a lat pull down machine. If his trceps can support his weight for dips, he can do tricep pull down on a cable machine.

And i agree, cardio should be part of every lifting regiment. Even if its just walking.
    he shouldn't be doing exercises with added weight. pull-ups, dips, push-ups and, most importantly, CARDIO for kids of that age is essential.