New Diet study on the Today show this morning

Options
They are saying low carb is more effective for weight loss than low fat. The other take-aways are eggs and "good" oils- olive oil and such are helpful to eat. I guess none of that is huge news, but it made me look at my food over the past few weeks and though I've been pretty good at staying within my calories, I could probably do better by cutting down on the carbs.

Replies

• lorgrayson
    lorgrayson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This depresses me. I can't eat low carbs without experiencing hypoglycemia. Anytime I try low carb, I get the shakes and when I check my blood sugar it is at 40 or something like that. Not pretty. I am best with 50% carbs 30% protein and 20% fat, to feel best. This weight is taking forever to leave my body.
  • Greenbomb
    Greenbomb Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This depresses me. I can't eat low carbs without experiencing hypoglycemia. Anytime I try low carb, I get the shakes and when I check my blood sugar it is at 40 or something like that. Not pretty. I am best with 50% carbs 30% protein and 20% fat, to feel best. This weight is taking forever to leave my body.

They did say you don't have to cut carbs completely, but it helps to eat better carbs...such as whole wheat pasta as opposed to white pasta. Also they said to stay away from processed carbs- I think that means like a "Lean Cuisine" pizza...? Not sure. OK carbs would be potatoes, corn and veggies that have carbs in them.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    my ice cream habit deny's me from the low carb life style.

I'm not mad at it.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    They said low carb with high protein diets tends to do better than low fat diets.

Duh.

Fat and protein tend to be more filling than carbs so its only natural that people that eat more protein and fat and will experience a higher level of fullness and less likely to binge.

Calories in < Calories out is all that matters for weight loss. The plan to get there is up to the individual.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    There's another thread about this going on. A lot of news sites are reporting the results, but there are some problems with the methodology:

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140902121017-23027997-diet-research-stuck-in-the-stone-age

(hat tip to CallMeCupcakeDammit for the link)
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I eat 20% carbs (around 100 per day) and spread them out throughout the day (this is due to my own health issues - I'm pre-diabetic and regulating blood glucose via my diet, and it's working). You don't have to do very low carb to be successful. I also have planned cheat days (yesterday, I had Long John Silver's battered chicken, fries, and a Klondike bar for dessert). But I'm steadily losing because I'm in a calorie deficit every day except my cheat days.
  • Greenbomb
    Greenbomb Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    They said low carb with high protein diets tends to do better than low fat diets.

Duh.

Fat and protein tend to be more filling than carbs so its only natural that people that eat more protein and fat and will experience a higher level of fullness and less likely to binge.

Calories in < Calories out is all that matters for weight loss. The plan to get there is up to the individual.

I'm not a dietician or a scientist, but I interpreted the study as not just about calories in calories out. Meaning, if you have a diet that is 1200 calories and high protein, low carb this is more effective in weight loss than a 1200 calorie diet of high carb, low fat. No?
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

Duh.

I'm not a dietician or a scientist, but I interpreted the study as not just about calories in calories out. Meaning, if you have a diet that is 1200 calories and high protein, low carb this is more effective in weight loss than a 1200 calorie diet of high carb, low fat. No?
    No, from my understanding of the study there was no limit on overall calories for BOTH groups. That's the point, eating more fat and protein will keep you feeling more full, longer, resulting in a calorie deficit. (I should say some, not all)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Duh.

No, it isn't. The calorie intakes for the participants in the study were not kept at a constant. Additionally, the baseline reported for carb intake was 240g - the study reduced the low carb group to 40g or less per day - a 75% reduction in carb intake. Meanwhile, the baseline intake for fat was just over 35% for participants - the study reduced the low fat group to less than 30% of their calories, which is around a 5% reduction. One was a drastic dietary change that forced people to entirely change their food choices, while the other was barely a blip.

Additionally, the low carb group had a greater calorie deficit than the low fat group throughout the study by several hundred calories, which also needs to be taken into consideration when interpreting the results.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    There's another thread about this going on. A lot of news sites are reporting the results, but there are some problems with the methodology:

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140902121017-23027997-diet-research-stuck-in-the-stone-age

Thanks! I can't get take the credit, though. Acg actually posted it on his page, I just passed on the information.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    In general, I think you should ignore all diet advice on news shows and in magazines. They confuse the issues by trying to make "news" out of stuff we've always known. Even when the science is good, they report it wrong, but mostly they report on junk science.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    "They" say a lot of things....
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Duh.

No, it is not about calories being held constant between the groups and therefore testing the validity of CICO.

Essentially if people are told not to track calories consciously but rather choose between a low carb regime or a low fat regime then the low carb regime generates more favourable results in a "free living" scenario.

This is interesting as, in reality, I doubt the day will come to pass where the majority or overweight people or anywhere near the majority are tracking calories on sites such as MFP. So, when generating public health recommendations easily applicable strategies (such as lowering carbs, particularly in highly refined / processed foods) are bound to be of interest.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing that link. Awesomely well written article by someone who seems to know his stuff, and also has a gift for polite snark.

I'll just keep on eating my mix of all kinds of wholesome foods and less wholesome but tasty treats that helped me lose weight and is so far helping me maintain.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    attachment.php?attachmentid=41912&d=1331580731
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

You should do what allows you to remain in a deficit while feeling healthy and happy. I've never eaten less than 200 grams of carbs per day and I've done fine. And more importantly than the initial weight loss, I've kept it off for almost 2 years.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for the Today show giving us a magic diet bullet.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I heard calorie deficit was the new wave success to weight loss. But I'm also insane. I'll keep my carbs AND fats high.

Ya'll laughed at me. Ya'll laughed at me. Well, I'll be over here being crazy. *spoon in mouth, gelato in hand*
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I heard calorie deficit was the new wave success to weight loss. But I'm also insane. I'll keep my carbs AND fats high.

Ya'll laughed at me. Ya'll laughed at me. Well, I'll be over here being crazy. *spoon in mouth, gelato in hand*

*grabs a spoon and sits next to you*