Help with running

Options
2»

Replies

• scrappyfrog
    scrappyfrog Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    C25K. i also prefer running outside, but most of mine i have to do indoors on my treadmill due to little one at home. Good luck!
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Why would running four miles outside be inherently better than running four miles indoors or on a treadmill?

For me, it is because running more than a mile or so on the dreadmill makes me want to kill myself (I can force myself to spend 10-15 minutes on one, but no more).....whereas I can run for 60+ minutes outside. Even in winter. I just make sure to dress properly for the weather. :flowerforyou:
  • thismamarox
    thismamarox Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do interval running. I use the 20 minute Body for Life method, but I have tweaked it to push me. My example is as follows:

First 2 minutes walk @ 3.0
    1 minute walk 3.5
    1 minute jog 5.0
    1 minute run 5.5
    1 minute run 6.0
    1 minute walk 3.5

1 minute jog 5.0
    1 minute run 5.5
    1 minute run 6.0
    1 minute walk 3.5

1 minute jog 5.0
    1 minute run 5.5
    1 minute run 6.0
    1 minute walk 3.5

1 minute jog 5.0
    1 minute run 5.5
    2 minute run 6.0
    1 minute walk 3.5 = 20 Minutes

I push out another 3 cycles to go 32 minutes. You can start as slow or as fast as you want to adjust to your personal limits. as you progress, you can increase speed, incline, time ect...
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    forget the treadmill. head outside.

^^^^This^^^^
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Why would running four miles outside be inherently better than running four miles indoors or on a treadmill?

who said it was?
    Then why suggest it as opposed to just answering her question?

many people struggle running on a treadmill for a number of reasons. they can have a mental block, or a physical issue. i mean, a treadmill forces you to run at a consistent pace until you adjust it. that can prove hard for a beginner.
  • cstroh13
    Options
    C25K it is! If I can get my husband outside to run with me then I will definitely run outside. I know my fear sounds stupid and an "excuse" to some of why I'm too afraid to run outside, but I live in a small town with no running trails and highway all around. I swear everyone has dogs around here and I have a big fear of one of the meaner ones getting out and biting me. I feel like running, but not running THAT fast yet haha with someone with me though I'd feel safer. My husband is used to all these dogs. I have no clue where I got "heavy cardio" from haha I guess running as opposed to walking? O.o anyway I checked out C25K and it is exactly what I want in order to teach myself to run and build the strength to do it. If I can get outside I'd prefer that over a treadmill too (especially since I don't know how to work this one). Thanks everyone for your input!
  • cstroh13
    Options
    C25K. i also prefer running outside, but most of mine i have to do indoors on my treadmill due to little one at home. Good luck!

This also, I am home with my son until my husband comes home around 6. I'm wanting to head out to run around 7. My little brother is moving in this weekend so I'll have a babysitter around 7 finally!
  • r_kraft
    r_kraft Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Here are two books you might want to look at:

Running for Mortals: A Commonsense Plan for Changing Your Life With Running
    Marathoning for Mortals: A Regular Person's Guide to the Joy of Running or Walking a Half-Marathon or Marathon (also covers 1/2 marathons)

Both are by John "The Penguin" Bingham and Coach Jenny Hadfield
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    forget the treadmill. head outside.

This.

Plus c25k

^^^ I third this.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I don't do treadmills but for outside running run 2 minutes walk 1 works well got my last 10k in 56:35

29509743.png
  • thismamarox
    thismamarox Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with running on a treadmill... who cares how you get your running in, as long as you are doing it! For me, I don't run outside unless I am on a rubberized track because it is really hard on my joints. Running period is hard on your joints, But the treadmill seems to help cushion the blow a little. I don't care how you do it... JUST DO IT!
  • wolfstlkr
    Options
    I completed C25K on a treadmill a few months ago. I suggest keeping the treadmill on a 2% or 3% grade setting to try to mimick outside as much as possible. Also be prepared that after completing C25K on a treadmill that outside running is harder.
    At the end of C25K I could run for 30 min without walking, when I tried that outside I couldnt go more than 10 min. I was averaging the same pace though. After 2 months I now run 3 miles every other morning and working on getting to a constant run for all 3 miles (1.5 right now) and improving my time. There is something to be said for not having your speed set for you by a treadmill this will cause you to push a little harder than the treadmill.