low cal protein for vegetarians/vegans?

Options
rh091
rh091 Posts: 100 Member
I am trying to up my daily protein intake keeping within a 1600 calorie/day budget. I find I have a hard time because most beans and legumes that are high protein are high calorie. I eat greek yogurt, and have added cottage cheese. I also eat eggs, nuts as snacks, most of my home made dishes use lentils, and some tofu but I am trying to limit my soy intake. My diary is public to see what I normally eat. I am looking for suggestions of vegetarian or vegan protein sources that are relatively low calorie, not including tofu or soy products.

Replies

• heart2health
    heart2health Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    http://greatist.com/health/complete-vegetarian-proteins
    See the following site for suggestions to up proteins.
  • abashir525
    abashir525 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Beyond meat is 120 cals and 20g of protein (taste is amazing)

another option is to cook beans and then add in an unflavored protein powder which will lower the cals per serving and up the protein content
  • pastybuns
    Options
    I personally don't stress about the protein macro, but here's some things that come to mind:

> popcorn (the stuff you air pop yourself)
    > greens (dark greens have protein in them too!)

Protein and calories kinda go hand in hand though lol
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    When I want to add a punch of protein to a meal, I look to seitan – there are some great store-bought, natural products out there. I tend to go with either Upton's Naturals or Field Roast. Also, I have been known to make my own.
  • Hello!

Broccoli, Kale, and Spinach have great amounts of protein and are low in calories (a serving of broccoli has more protein than a steak). Cheers!

Andrea
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Broccoli, Kale, and Spinach have great amounts of protein and are low in calories (a serving of broccoli has more protein than a steak). Cheers!

Andrea

a serving of broccoli does not have more protein than a steak....you would have to eat a lot of broccoli to get as much protein as a steak....

Broccoli has 4.2 grams of protein for every 148 g
    Steak has 25 grams of protein for every 100 grams...big difference.... ;) Personally I like broccoli more but...

the best protein source for vegans I've found is seitan. It's amazing.