Now that a week of college football is behind us...

Options
Strange_magic
Strange_magic Posts: 370 Member
Whatcha think? Who do you think makes it to the 4 team playoff?

here are a few thoughts of mine.

Bama was one good WVU wide receiver from losing.
UGA had a great game, and are world beaters. Until they lose to the Gamecocks.
My hokies looked so so against William and Mary
lol@ my favorite time to lol@ the Miami light rain playing again like the Miami light we've all come to know and love.

Due to the fact I went to a game I missed a bunch.

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    The problem with Week 1 is that you don't know how good anyone is still. Like Texas A&M whipped up on SC, and looks like there's nothing stopping them from shooting to the top... but how good is SC?

Week 1 also seems to be when everyone is a little rusty, which is why a lot of the big schools schedule lightweights in week 1: to get their game legs back. Florida State looked vulnerable, but some of that could have been rust... but OkSt is also pretty good.

So, I won't make any guesses just yet. I mean, Pitt looked fantastic against Delaware, and I just don't believe they would be actually any good, against decent teams
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    The Ohio St/Navy game was LOL until the third quarter.
  • suga1018
    suga1018 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have to say is Boomer Sooner! :)
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    With the annoncement about Ash, the Longhorns are in a worst state than even before. then Petty at Baylor has cracked bones in his back. My last hope for one of my favorite teams is TCU it seems. :(
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Texas A & M
    Georgia
    Auburn

Those are three of the top 4, all from the SEC.

The 4th is up for grabs. Florida State looked mediocre, and Alabama is going to get its *kitten* handed to it 3 times this year at least.

USC maybe...but they will probably drop a couple for no reason.

National Champions?

WAR EAGLE BABY!!!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options

I wanted a Navy upset so badly. I never believed it would happen, but man, I likes the scare it gave Buckeye fans.,
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

I wanted a Navy upset so badly. I never believed it would happen, but man, I likes the scare it gave Buckeye fans.,

Well, I'm a Buckeye living in a Navy household so I was actually quite torn.
  • Strange_magic
    Options
    Texas A & M
    Georgia
    Auburn

The 4th is up for grabs. Florida State looked mediocre, and Alabama is going to get its *kitten* handed to it 3 times this year at least.

National Champions?

WAR EAGLE BABY!!!
    BAMA will have a LONG season. Honestly I had never seen a more morose group of fans even in a win.
    EVER>
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Eh... we will see... let's talk when we are playing mostly conference games or schools that are in more equal conferences. OU's first game was a throw away game and they had better have won it...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    With the annoncement about Ash, the Longhorns are in a worst state than even before. then Petty at Baylor has cracked bones in his back. My last hope for one of my favorite teams is TCU it seems. :(

Works for me... ;)

BOOMER!!!
  • DBoone85
    Options
    Texas A & M
    Georgia
    Auburn

National Champions?

WAR EAGLE BABY!!!
    BAMA will have a LONG season. Honestly I had never seen a more morose group of fans even in a win.
    EVER>

Bama is going to shut the offense down....run two tight ends...and run the ball 95% of the time....and they will end up 9-3. Saban will circle the wagons and salvage a season...but they are not championship caliber this year...
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The problem with Week 1 is that you don't know how good anyone is still. Like Texas A&M whipped up on SC, and looks like there's nothing stopping them from shooting to the top... but how good is SC?

Week 1 also seems to be when everyone is a little rusty, which is why a lot of the big schools schedule lightweights in week 1: to get their game legs back. Florida State looked vulnerable, but some of that could have been rust... but OkSt is also pretty good.

So, I won't make any guesses just yet. I mean, Pitt looked fantastic against Delaware, and I just don't believe they would be actually any good, against decent teams

This x1000.

I don't put a lot of stock in Week 1 results. Too much football yet to be played and, like wolverine said, we don't know if the teams that looked good actually ARE good or if the teams that looked bad actually ARE bad until we know more about the teams they played.
  • BehindtheMic
    BehindtheMic Posts: 1,736 Member
    Options
    The 4 team playoff in my opinion will be 1. FSU 2. Sooners 3. Georgia 4. Tide

One other hometown note. The UK Wildcats looked like an actual football team against UT-Martin. I know the competition wasn't that great but you still have to be doing something right to beat anytime 59-14. Still going to loose a lot of games in the SEC but there is hope.
  • DBoone85
    Options

One other hometown note. The UK Wildcats looked like an actual football team against UT-Martin. I know the competition wasn't that great but you still have to be doing something right to beat anytime 59-14. Still going to loose a lot of games in the SEC but there is hope.

I think FSU could run the table, and not be in the top 4 this year, because they have no competiition. They looked average Saturday. They needed Clemson to beat Georgia to give them a chance. Now that Clemson went todash, Florida State's strength of schedule declined drastically. They have the Citadel this week...WHAT? A one loss SEC school will beat them out even if they are 13-0.
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Ecghk
  • Strange_magic
    Options

This x1000.

I don't put a lot of stock in Week 1 results. Too much football yet to be played and, like wolverine said, we don't know if the teams that looked good actually ARE good or if the teams that looked bad actually ARE bad until we know more about the teams they played.
    And that's part of the fun of it.
    I think nobody puts too much stock in it. But it's fun to rush to judgement anyways. And as long as pre-season polls are coming out in July people will be laughing at highly ranked teams who look like crap in the first week.
    :)
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I think FSU could run the table, and not be in the top 4 this year, because they have no competiition. They looked average Saturday. They needed Clemson to beat Georgia to give them a chance. Now that Clemson went todash, Florida State's strength of schedule declined drastically. They have the Citadel this week...WHAT? A one loss SEC school will beat them out even if they are 13-0.

Sorry Danni, but you're delusional. Even as an SEC homer myself, there is NO team from one of the Power 5 conferences that wouldn't end up in the playoff if they run the table. And that is especially true for FSU since - right or wrong - they are the preseason #1. If they never lose, they aren't falling out of the top 4. Period.

And Angela, true story. One of the reasons why I hate preseason polls. So damn pointless.