help with an injury

fromaquasar
fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey team,

So first the first time in my life I have a sporting related injury! (staying positive) I have strained my groin and am in quite a lot of pain my physio said I can't do anything that aggravates it for 2 weeks. So far I have found running and stretching aggravate it. Has anyone had this sort of injury before and can suggest any fitness options? I would be gutted to slide back on my progress thus far by having 2 weeks off!

Thanks guys

Replies

• nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    You absolutely need to take care of the injury. Any aggressive exercise is likely to cause you pain and although you don't want to slide backwards, further straining your groin is only going to make it worse. Unfortunately these things happen and when they do there is little remedy except to wait it out and look after yourself. Regular applications of heat (heat pack, heat pad, muscle rub, warm baths are the best) will help the area to repair itself. You can try gentle stretching or a gentle (modified) yoga or pilates session if you want to keepyourself limber. Get well!
  • shallott
    shallott Posts: 14 Member
    I pulled my groin during a 10km race a few years ago and thought after a couple weeks that it was healed so I went back training full-throttle again for a half-marathon right where I had left off... BAD idea! I ended up not only injuring the knee on the same leg, but due to overcompensation by using my opposite leg, I ended up straining my quad and hamstring, this left me further back from where I started and with extra weeks of recovery.
    Let the strain heal for at least six weeks then ease back into your routine gradually. Once everything is back to working 100% ensure that you stretch before (just to loosen up the muscle), during and after your workouts/training sessions, drink lots of water and leave appropriate amounts of muscle recovery time in between training sessions.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Just do upper body stuff for 2 weeks. Resistance bands are good for beginners as you can create how much tension you want. Otherwise, pushups, pullups etc. Just don't do anything leg related. (half the guys working out do this anyway :P)
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Haha I'll be a beef cake in two weeks :P
This discussion has been closed.