Weight loss slow down after 4 weeks

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been using the MFP app since late July, but I am new to the message boards. So, hello everyone! :wave

I started out with 15-20lbs that I want to lose. I have now lost 10lbs (as of today!). I only weigh myself every 8-10 days and I noticed that the weight loss this time around was significantly decreased. From Aug 15-23 I dropped 4lbs and then from Aug 23-Sept 2, I only lost 1lb! :( I know weight loss tends to slow down but I was hoping it wouldn't be until the last couple lbs I have to lose. It is totally possible that my bathroom scale is acting wonky but I would like to lose more than another lb in the next go-round. Should I decrease my calories? Right now I have a daily limit of 1510cals/day and I'm not sure how much more I can decrease them without feeling like I'm starving. Any advice? I try to do more cardio as well.

Thanks!

Replies

• marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the 10lbs lost. Your weight loss will slow the closer you get to your goal. I re-calculate my calorie target every 5-10lbs lost normally. Initially the weight came off very easily for me, but now it's slowed quite a bit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

That should explain everything!!
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    So in a little over a month you've lost 10 pounds and you only wanted to lose 15-20? That's a LOT for having that little to lose. I've seen a lot of people on here say with that little to lose, you want to lose somewhere between 0.5-1 pound per week. So if that's the case you're WAY ahead of the curve. Just keep moving more, since you definitely do NOT want to dip those cals too low. Hang in there!
  • mrsmcmo
    mrsmcmo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I think I am doing pretty well and am quite proud of myself for losing what I have. :) I have changed my goal to 1.5lbs per week, but that puts me at a daily goal of 1200 calories, which seems low. I guess I will just try to add in more cardio and then I can eat more calories? I'm fairly new to calorie counting, as this is really the first time I have tried to lose weight in this manner (usually if I notice a few lbs creep on, I just clean my eating and lose that way but I do like the ability to track everything).
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Like marissanik said don't forget to update your new weight as well, not just the per week goal. it will change how many calories you need to create a deficit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, it sounds like you're right on track, great job!
  • mrsmcmo
    Options
    Thanks guys. So, just a general question about maintaining weight (I am optimistically looking ahead): how does MFP figure out how many calories you should be eating to maintain a specific weight? Sorry if it's a silly question, like I said, I'm still learning. :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. So, just a general question about maintaining weight (I am optimistically looking ahead): how does MFP figure out how many calories you should be eating to maintain a specific weight? Sorry if it's a silly question, like I said, I'm still learning. :)

It's based on your weight, height, gender, age, and self-reported activity level (sedentary, lightly active, active, etc.). It is NOT based on the number of hours of exercise you tell MFP you do -- that's just a goal to measure the exercise you log against, but if you actually do exercise on top of your self-reported activity level, MFP expects you to eat more to fuel that exercise.
  • mrsmcmo
    Options
    Thanks, you explained it very well! :)