Cold weather/exercise/starving!

Options
I started counting calories with MyFitnessPal in June 2010 with a goal of 1500 calories per day. I have not truthfully done much exercise since I started with the website. Since June 2010, I have lost 12 pounds. I wanted to step up the weight loss and do have time to go to the gym. When I have made time to do 45 minutes of cardio at the gym, I come back STARVING, ready to eat everything in sight!

Diet wise -- I've been eating a Dannon Light and Fit yogurt for breakfast, a Lean Cuisine for lunch, a 200 calorie or so snack mid afternoon and then a "sensible homemade dinner". I've swapped out Coke's for Vitamin Waters and I generally drink unsweetened hot green tea while I am at work.

My question to all of you out there -- should I be maybe eating more protein/fiber during the winter months so I will be fuller longer and not feel so ravenous after going to the gym? I didn't eat that much protein/fiber in the summer and felt pretty OK on the diet I was following.... just wondering what your experiences are out there... Thanks!

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    You're probably not eating enough. Protein is extremely important especially when you're working out. Are you logging your exercise? Are you eating your exercise calories? I actually think that MFP sets protein too low... my husband's dietitian recommends 60 to 100 g of protein daily.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I would try the extra fiber/protein. How about swapping out the yogurt for oatmeal? I find I stay fuller longer with the fiber. I also do the fiber bars on my last break at work. I was doing yogurt and when I got home I was ready to eat the fridge.
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Vitamin Water is full of simple sugar, which is probably making you crave more. I would just drink water, cut the carbs, and have some cottage cheese after working out.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    When you work out, you should be eating more.... about the same amount of calories that you have burned off. Your body is hungry, listen to it!

:smile: