My first time to the gym

Options
I signed up for Planet Fitness on Friday and with Christmas around the corner I was to busy to go on Saturday. Today after church I went with a friend and my nephew Randall. I was thinking that since I am already walking 4.1 + miles it would be a piece of cake!! How wrong I was!! I got on the elliptical and after learning how it goes...I had been walking backwards of all things..(hey you can go forwards) once I started walking forwards I stayed on it for about 20 min..my first time ever on ANY FITNESS EQUIPMENT!! I realized that walking and using the elliptical are nothing alike...I found out that I have muscles in my body I didn't know I had. I was able to keep my heart rate where it was suppose to be, so that was a good thing. Man was it hard!!! So I moved onto the treadmill....even though I walk outside on pavement it is nothing like walking on a treadmill.....that is hard too!!!! Again new muscles in my legs!! Yeah I have more muscles that will let me know I worked out.
I then moved to the machine for tricepes and bicepes. I could feel it buring and could only do 1, 20 reps...with 15lbs. I thought I was stronger then that!!!
I did learn that you should have eaten something because after I was doing my arm exercises I went back to the treadmill and after about 20 min I got light headed....it was way past my time of eating.

What I learned today is that I need to fuel my body if I am going to be working it harder then what this 53yr old body has ever been worked. I also didn't really push myself today because it was my first day and I didn't want to get so sore that I dread going back.
As I am typing this, my body is calling me. I feel my arm muscles, my leg muscles and even my backside muscles. I just don't want to overdue it but I also want to push myself at the same time.
Over all it was a great first time working out and I didn't feel threatened at all being in a gym, no one was just staring at me like I thought they would be...I am heading there again in the morning since I have Monday off!!!

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! Way to get yourself out there!! It's not easy to get motivated, so that's great that you have! I;ve never workedout in a gym before either!! I hope you enjoy your time there and keep it up!
  • bsshaw1
    bsshaw1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Nice job on the first day!
  • regi1
    regi1 Posts: 28
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck. I too have just recently started the gym with a friend. We do 30 minutes of cardio then 30 minutes of the machines. We also alternate each day on the machines. For example Mon abs, Tues legs, Wed arms, Thurs legs, and Fri abs. We do get in a few crunches each day though to help with the stomach area ( I need all the help I can get there haha) Maybe coming up with a schedule will help you as well. I also go in the morning before work which helps with the not eating and getting light headed since I am use to eating a little later in the morning. I have been doing this for 2 weeks and I am still getting use to it. Some days I really have to push to get through the 30 minutes on the elliptical even though I use the stairs at work and was doing programs that I recorded on my DVR. It is tough but just think of the end result. Oh and another thing I discovered the first week is that my appitite slightly increased. Just make sure you eat healthy if that happens.
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing! You will be a great inspiration to many, I'm sure. I don't even know you, but feel so proud of you. I'm sure it's hard for someone who has never gone to the gym a day in their life to take that first step. Kudos to you! And congratulations to you for making such a healthy lifestyle change. Keep it up!!:happy:
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I've never been to a gym either, but keep up the good work!
  • brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Actually, although there are things we can do in the gym that really hurt us, some of those things you think were mistakes really weren't. Using the elliptical backward works opposing muscles and is a great workout for your hamstrings. And when lifting weights, the repetitions can be more important than the amount of weight because it helps train muscles.

Keep going :flowerforyou: , just getting into a gym can be a big accomplishment. Don't let the little things discourage you.
  • ksv123
    ksv123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Good for you! The vast majority of the people head to the gym to get in shape and improve their health - the last thing you should worry about is people looking at you. I know that when I am in the gym and I see someone who obviously isn't familiar with with the routine I applaud them for making the effort! Keep it up and you will see phenomenal results! Have a wonderful Christmas . . .
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If your gtym offers it and you can afford it, try a Personal Trainer. They will work with you to strengthen you "core" muscles and get you into a routine tailored for your needs. My BFF and I share the cost of a personal trainer 3 times a week and we go to the gym 5 days. She helps us with our nutrional needs as well as our workouts. It is so important to eat 30 mintues before your exercise workout and within 1 hour after your workout. We take a banana with peanut butter to spread on it to the gym and 1/2 way through our training we eat it. That helps to ease cramping and gives your body fuel without too many calories. Also the gym I go to offers performance and recovery shakes with extra protein (VERY IMPORTANT). We mix them up and have about 3 a week. Be sure to carry your water bottle with you and drink at least 8 glasses a day. While exercising I add Chrystal Lite Pure Fitness for the potassium and the electrolytes that I lose while working out. 5 calories is worth it.

Good luck in your journey,. Oh, one more thing, my Personal Trainer recommended a wonderful nuitrion book called "Eating Clean" and she also recommends that you eat 3 meals and 3 snacks per day.

:laugh:

Bunny
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Good for you Mary. I love ,y elliptical but yeah when I first started using it I could barely get though 20 minutes. Keep working those muscles and you will increase your reps and time on the any machine. I am not a fan of the treadmill the elliptical is easier on my joints. Enjoy the gym!