bad breakups

Options
are bad for my compulsive eating ahhhhh

I'm 21 and this is my first real break up. was with him for 2 and a half years. I don't know how to deal haha. I need some friends on here that have been through this that can help me cope and move one while not jeopardizing my fitness journey

Replies

• desjham
    Options
    I went through that situation last year - just a few months short of 21 and went through a break up right before summer started after 2.5 years. At first I was doing great and was the lightest I had ever been and I was exercising again and looked so great! I was 7 pounds away from my ultimate goal. But then I started going out with friends partying (which is totally out of character for me) because "I needed it". I also stopped dieting all together and stopped caring about watching what I ate. I worked with sub contractors all summer and ate like they did. By the end of the summer, I gained almost 40 POUNDS. That was in just about 5 months. When the school year started again, I realized what I had actually done to myself and I am still working on getting back down to where I was after a year!

I'm sorry about your break-up, I know they suck. Take a couple days, go out with friends, but just don't go over board. It isn't worth it in the end! You work hard for YOU. You want to look and feel good for you, so just remember that and I hope my story helps to keep you on track!! haha :)
  • Louttie
    Louttie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Don't you want to show him what hes missing?

Sometimes when we're at our lowest we make our greatest decisions.

I went through a breakup after 5 years and 30lbs! When we broke up i was in a very bad state, i took a good look at myself and made some of the most important changes of my life. 30lb weight loss, i quit smoking & I became vegan.

Now you have all this free me time. Go exercise!
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I like the way you guys think :) thank you for the support. I've been eating like crap the past few days because things haven't been good with us which ultimately lead to our breakup this morning. so I'm hoping this will be motivate me to push even harder than before
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    We've all been there. Think of how much weight you lost by getting rid of his *kitten*! Remember this journey is about you, for you, you're not doing it for him. You've got this!
  • kelseyleota
    kelseyleota Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I totally gained back like 15 pounds after I broke up. Working on getting back down... Try to focus the energy you used to spend on him/your relationship back onto yourself and your workouts. Breakups make you feel ****ty... try not to make things worse by eating ****ty too. (but sometimes, do it anyway because **** everybody)
  • kelseyleota
    kelseyleota Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    LOL I got bleeped. Sorry if I just offended anyone with distasteful language choices.
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    hahaha I personally loved your distasteful language. thank you though. I know that gaining weight will only make me feel worse about everything. its hard not letting my damn brain control the game lol
  • RegularOats
    Options
    We got your back! I just added you and hope we can support each other
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite... I lost a good 50lbs after my divorce, and now that I'm all happy in love again, I'm gaining like crazy!

Sorry, hon. I have no good words, but do it for you. Get back on track, you can do this.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It's ok to take a couple days of comfort. Then get motivated to get back on track for your life, for new possibilities, to feel strong and at your best. This is difficult. Sorry you are going through this now. But, eventually you will move on to better things. ♡
  • JT_Taylor99
    Options
    My wife divorced me after 29 years of marriage, she had left 4 years prior and that is when I started my lifetyle change, so by the time it was final I really had no issues, but the relationship that followed turned out to be horrible. When it happened I lost focus for a bit but then realized that fitness made me feel whole and worthy. So once again I dove into it head first and have been happy ever since. You can add me if you like.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    My first major relationship ended when I was 17. I was with the guy for just shy of 2 years, and he had recently asked me to marry him... to say the least I was devastated. I spent a week listening to sappy music and eating huge pepperoni logs. After the pity party for one I lopped off all my hair, ended up losing a good 30 pounds, and started dating a guy I worked with that I had thought was really awesomely cute from the moment I laid eyes on him. That was many many years ago, and I've had many relationships and even a divorce since then. After all those crappy horrible relationships (every.last.one.) I became best friends with my now DH, we've been together for almost 9 years. You're going to have some crappy relationships, and you're going to get hurt some more, but there is someone out there who will make you realize that you are worth so much more. Just don't stress too much about looking for the right person and enjoy your life. :smile:

*steps off motherly soapbox* :tongue:
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Aw. It's his loss, lovely.

If it wasn't meant to be, it wasn't meant to be, and one day it will be something you look back on and remember without feeling sad at all. But it doesn't feel like it at the time.

Right now, you need to treat yourself kindly. Don't eat things that will make you feel bad. And make sure you sleep enough. And do things that make you feel good about yourself.

Look after yourself.
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    thank you all so much. I really appreciate all the kind words. so far so good with my eating habits, yesterday I actually stayed under my calories for the first time in a few days so that made me feel good. I'm still surprisingly not a complete mess so hopefully this trend continues. but thank you guys again I really can't express my gratitude. you've all helped to kill the loneliness a little :)