Calories

Options
I frequently get a message saying I don't eat enough, but I eat 3 meals a day and a snack. I understand that 830 calories isn't a lot but I'm full. Should I eat more to raise my calorie intake even if I'm not hungry or is 830 calories eaten enough even if I burn 120 calories of that? I really want so opinion and thoughts on this.

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I suppose it is enough if you do not mind losing muscle, losing hair, losing nails, getting progressively weaker, finding your workouts suffering, finding your mood suffering and ending up forever stuck eating lower calories than you did before you started this 'diet' because you mucked up your metabolism. Many of the most successful people here are those who lost the weight eating as much as they could while still losing weight, not least because they had somewhere to go to if they stalled out. Where will you go eating 800 calories now, if you stop losing? It is ridiculously unhealthy and not the way to get a sustainable, lifestyle change where the weight is kept off for the longterm.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Even if you do not feel like it.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Netting approximately 720-830 calories per day is extremely unhealthy. The very fact you are trying to rationalize such behavior is frightening and indicative of issues requiring more help than any message board could ever provide. You're risking damage to your organs on top of the other problems Graelwyn listed.
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Oh, boy. Get the popcorn. Time for another holy war up in here.

@160wannab: Consult a doctor or licensed nutritionist. Do your own research in the scientific literature. At the very least ask anyone who states an opinion here to back it up by citing scientific studies. If they can't or won't, then you know it's just an opinion. Everyone has one.
  • Mandi98U
    Mandi98U Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • laurav1122
    laurav1122 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would suggest speaking to your doctor since they know you and your health better than anyone here does. If you both decide that you should be consuming more calories, consider having a protein shake. You can buy your own protein powder and add it to milk. I do that for breakfast since I never seem to have an appetite that early in the day.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Oh, boy. Get the popcorn. Time for another holy war up in here.

@160wannab: Consult a doctor or licensed nutritionist. Do your own research in the scientific literature. At the very least ask anyone who states an opinion here to back it up by citing scientific studies. If they can't or won't, then you know it's just an opinion. Everyone has one.

It isn't hard to find scientific studies showing the risks of VLC diets without medical supervision ... the exact thing her actions qualify as.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I don't know how people who use to eat a overload of calories to get overweight, all of a sudden get full on very little.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    A female needs a minimum of 1200 and a male needs a minimum of 1500. You need to eat more.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yes eat more, even if you don't feel like it.
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've been there with VLCDs time and time again. They're exciting, addicting, powerful, and so, so stupid. Whether male, female, young or old the exact same thing happens each time until you are sucked into a dangerous cycle that leaves you never truly happy. Sure, you may look killer in a month, but what good is that when you feel like death? When you go to a party so obsessed with your weight that you can't have a drink? So miserably stuck in a rut of "I look great but I'm hungry" that you just surrender and eat everything you can with the promise that you'll be better tomorrow - only to sadly restart the cycle heavier than you started. Eat the 1200 calories and thank goodness you've caught it in time to enjoy life.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I stay within 800 to 900 daily, my max being 1000. Every single one of my doctors (yes I have many) are well aware of how many calories I am consuming and they are on board).

BMR/TDEE can't read your medical chart like your doctors (who know the truth of your body).

I get picked on for my low calorie intake also...it's easy for people to say "shame on you" to others... knowing absolutely nothing about their reason(s) for a lower caloric intake than what is labeled as "appropriate".

I'd see your doctor and discuss it with him/her...rather than listen to someone on a forum who doesn't know anything about your individually unique body and what you...as that unique individual, require.

If I eat more than 1000 calories per day I gain weight; period. Why? Because I'm sick. Why am I sick? Yes, partly because i am overweight, and partly because of illnesses I was diagnosed with long before I became overweight. This isn't an illness forum therefore I'm not discussing those illnesses...except to say that BMR/TDEE doesn't factor those in!

...see your doctor (my opinion only)
  • katnewk
    katnewk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You might be losing weight.. but its muscle not fat.....the body needs energy (FOOD) it you dont feed it.. it will use what ever it can for energy source.. you should have a minimal of 1000K
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I stay within 800 to 900 daily, my max being 1000. Every single one of my doctors (yes I have many) are well aware of how many calories I am consuming and they are on board).

BMR/TDEE can't read your medical chart like your doctors (who know the truth of your body).

I get picked on for my low calorie intake also...it's easy for people to say "shame on you" to others... knowing absolutely nothing about their reason(s) for a lower caloric intake than what is labeled as "appropriate".

I'd see your doctor and discuss it with him/her...rather than listen to someone on a forum who doesn't know anything about your individually unique body and what you...as that unique individual, require.

If I eat more than 1000 calories per day I gain weight; period. Why? Because I'm sick. Why am I sick? Yes, partly because i am overweight, and partly because of illnesses I was diagnosed with long before I became overweight. This isn't an illness forum therefore I'm not discussing those illnesses...except to say that BMR/TDEE doesn't factor those in!

OP is 18 years old, only wants to lose 67 lbs, and hasn't mentioned any medical conditions. It's highly unlikely that she needs to eat so low. I have medical conditions too but I don't apply the advice given to me in that context to everyone else on the forum. If I did I'd be going around telling people that they shouldn't run because it's bad for their joints.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

OP is 18 years old, only wants to lose 67 lbs, and hasn't mentioned any medical conditions. It's highly unlikely that she needs to eat so low. I have medical conditions too but I don't apply the advice given to me in that context to everyone else on the forum. If I did I'd be going around telling people that they shouldn't run because it's bad for their joints.

^^ This.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options

True, this....and thank you for saying it somewhat respectfully rather than snarkily. Point well taken, and appreciated.

To the OP though....I still think you need to speak with your doctor.
  • GlynnisSapsfordHey
    Options
    Eat more for breakfast and lunch try to make each meal 350 cal that should leave enough for a snack
  • rh091
    rh091 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that this intake is way too low because it's very difficult to get enough protein, carbs, fats (macro nutrients) as well as vitamins from food that your body needs on a daily base. I'm not sure what your diet consists of now but I would suggest swapping what you're eating now for foods that are perhaps more calorie dense which at the same time help cover your nutrition. Even something like peanut butter won't fill you up more but will give your body essential fats, protein and energy it needs. Especially post work out when your body needs to repair.