Is a flat tummy POSSIBLE at my age???

slieber
slieber Posts: 765 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I keep wondering. I remember what I was like in my teens and part of my 20s, before I gained mega-pounds and kept it on for nearly 20 years.

I'm now a size 8 (down from 18 - an elasticated 18!) but I don't have a flat belly. I have very strong abs from both exercise at the gym and around 12 hours of ballet classes a week. I'm a somewhat advanced dancer-type. But the belly is still there.

And, erm, the "girls" are there as well, which, when I use a sports bra (sorry guys), pushes out the flab so that it looks like I have batwings.

I'm happy I've lost the weight and can tell I look so much better, but really, I would love to have a flatter belly WITHOUT surgery.

I'm in my late 40s, though, and carried that flab around for a long, long time. Is it still possible or should I just keep on doing what I'm doing and not be so "obsessed" about it?

Replies

• Ok...I am 42, and have had 3 kids...and I have a flat belly (look at my pictures if you want to see :blushing: ). Definitely possible. I am a dancer also, and have become religious about yoga!! I am a vegetarian, which I think helps with um, "bloating." (I don't do well with most animal products). So choosing foods that don't react with your digestive system really does help (as does pro-biotics!). Good job with the 10 size weight loss!! That is a huge accomplishment, you should be really proud of yourself :drinker:
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    I have developed a strong tummy but was concerned it would never flatten out. I had mommy tummy issues. After my body adjusted to the weight loss and got used to the intensity of my exercise etc It seems that m belly is flattening out. I am 36 have had four kids. It isn't a perfect belly but it is strong and it is more obvious that it is strong...Without the ability to reference this info I am hesitant to say how long but I believe there is something to be said for a 6 month "wait" to see how the body will redistribute so to say.
  • iamladibeast
    iamladibeast Posts: 451 Member
    great post! I wondered the same thing..I am still on my journey and have to reached my goal weight but I'm glad to hear that it is still possible to get a flat tummy after kids and years of carrying around all the extra weight and fat around my midsection...great job and congrats :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    I keep wondering this as well. I'm 42 and want so badly to have a flat tummy!! So I'm bumping to see what kind of answers you get!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Look at Tosca Reno...if she can do it...so can you. I'm still trying to get my tummy flat...not gonna happen though. According to my trainer and doctor the only way I will get my tummy to look good again is a tummy tuck. I have so much excess skin from my pregnancy and my abs actually split when I was prego. I carried high and all out front (If you looked at me from behind you couldn't tell I was pregnant). Good luck.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    @TheMaidOfAstolat

All I have to say, is OMG, OUCH! =(

ps. I'm only 20, never been pregnant, so this isn't really my area of expertise, BUT, I have heard quite a few women praise cocoa butter for speeding things along during that "6 month" waiting period =p
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    @TheMaidOfAstolat

All I have to say, is OMG, OUCH! =(

ps. I'm only 20, never been pregnant, so this isn't really my area of expertise, BUT, I have heard quite a few women praise cocoa butter for speeding things along during that "6 month" waiting period =p

My daughter is now 7 and I still haven't gotten my stomach back to right, lol. Saggy skin is horrible. I have a nice 6 pack going on underneath it all though, lol.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    I appear to have saggy skin as well. Most of my weight was in my belly. My legs were never overly large nor were my arms, although friends said they could tell I lost weight just by looking at my arms.

*sigh* I don't want to have any sort of surgery so I guess I'll have to accept what I have... :0(
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    My tummy is quite nice if I do say so...that is if you can look past the saggy skin...I have a bikini for the first time in my life ..but ...and you will all love this....I will only wear it with all 4 kids in tow...that way people can see how I earned the skin sag ...HA HA HA...I figure I earned the muscles and the kids so I might as well show them both off.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I'm working on a flat tummy, but no matter how thin I got (8 years ago before a bad car accident), I still had stretch marks and loose skin. Thanks to pregnancy. I think that there are some genetically inclined to not have the problem as much. I also use Mary Kay's Cellulite Creams (2 parts) to treat stretch marks, which lessened the appearance and softened them, but the skin/sag is still there. My kids refer to them as my "zebra stripes".
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    I'm working on a flat tummy, but no matter how thin I got (8 years ago before a bad car accident), I still had stretch marks and loose skin. Thanks to pregnancy. I think that there are some genetically inclined to not have the problem as much. I also use Mary Kay's Cellulite Creams (2 parts) to treat stretch marks, which lessened the appearance and softened them, but the skin/sag is still there. My kids refer to them as my "zebra stripes".

I'm in the same boat...and my daughter calls them zebra stripes as well.
This discussion has been closed.