is it ok to go to all you can eat places?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's up to you!

It's not cheating; it's overeating. You can do it as often as you like. You're the one who pays the consequences.

Except for Souplantation, I try to avoid buffets. :)
  • lovemybooks01
    lovemybooks01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been to a couple of all you can eat between having my bypass and starting with mfp, if you do want to continue using these places may I make a couple of suggestions that might help you - 1 eat a protein snack/drink about 20 mins before you leave as protein normally makes you feel full up, 2 drink a big glass or 2 of water, again this usually makes me feel full. 3 when you arrive have either soup or more water. 4 for main course have a big plate of salad (no dressing or on side) and have plain shrimp or chicken, something like that. Having said this, it is your life and if you want to have a blowout now and again, then go for it - before I had my bypass, I was told the idea is not to stop you eating all your favourite foods for the rest of your life, just learn to have them in moderation.
    I was at a carvery restaurant on sunday for a birthday and had a side plate with some prawns, salad and feta (about half the plate empty) Main was gammon, cauliflower cheese, carrots and cabbage (again plate wasn't full up and certainly wasn't piled up like a mountain!) and had a small slice of New York cheesecake with a spoon of fruit salad, thoroughly enjoyed it and don't feel guilty about having any of it as it's certainly not usual for me to have a meal like this! I have been told go for either the 80/20 diet, have 1 day of eating what I want per week or each week have 1 favourite breakfast, 1 favourite lunch and 1 favourite dinner to spread out any excess rather than all in one day - I try for 80/20 and don't beat myself up if I slip now and again. I don't know what your medications are, but fully sympathise - I have NEVER felt full up in my life, I had a blood test for the chemical/hormone that makes you feel full and it was almost a negligible reading for that hormone and sadly has never got better - I used to be able to have a big dinner, dessert and would still feel hungry - the only thing that helps me even now is remembering after the bypass my tummy is the size of an orange when it's at full stretch. Good luck with your continued weight loss xx
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I find your question kind of annoying! First of all you have the tools to know how many calories you ate, you have the tools to count your calories, you can obviously do the math and see that this kind of eating can destroy 4 or 5 days worth of eating within your goals. You wanna know how often you can cheat like this........you obviously do not want to lose weight and follow the program so the answer is you may as well go every day.

agreed :huh: :grumble:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    To me it doesn't sound like you are ready to handle an "all you can eat" or "endless shrimp" situation.

Maybe down the road a bit, you will be able to handle it a little bit better.

Of course this is just my opinion.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The first step is logging everything, which I see you've done, and that's a great step... awareness of what you're eating.

However, looking back at your post history, I would sincerely advise you to talk to your doctor about this. You are on a very serious combination of medications. No one here is aptly prepared to advise you regarding weight loss as a stand alone issue. Given the anti-psychotic and other medications you're on, I would advise you to discuss a diet and exercise plan with your doctors and whether or not this is an appropriate time in your treatment to focus on diet.

Best of luck.