self control

shreddin_mama
shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
edited September 22 in Motivation and Support
For the most part i'm doing pretty good with making smart food choices and staying in my calorie goal. but then my friends or family stop by with sugar cookies or pumpkin bread and i just can't stop eating. "just one more cookie" i tell myself. this time of the year it's hard to find some self control. any tips besides smacking my hands away from the cookie jar?

Replies

• I have the same problem. My sweet tooth is the size of texas. I've convinced myself that as long as I'm staying in my calorie goals, it's ok, but.. I've a feeling that's not the case.

Anyone have any info?

JB
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    It might do you some good to check how many of those treats you can have b4 you eat them. MFP has a limit on each serving of "allowed" goodies.
    Sadly, you are only allowed to eat 1 sugar cookie (108 calories) :noway: & 1 slice of pumpkin bread (175 calories) :noway: unless you can plan ahead & eat lighter on your other meals when you know your friends or family are coming over with goodies.
    GOOD LUCK. :happy:
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    hahhaa tooo funny!!!! I just made a batch of chocolate chip cookies and had to sample one.. you know.. just to see if it was good enough for my buds.. then one quickly turned into 5! :)
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    If you are keeping up with your food tracking during the day, you might have an idea how many calories you're 'allowed' to have and still stay under your goal. Estimate about 100 cals/cookie (unless they're tiny/huge) and think about that when you're eating them! Think about how good you'll feel at the end of the day when you're at your calorie goal or under it.

Also, if they're just dropping them off but not staying till you eat them, you can put them away somewhere, or put them in the freezer, give them to friends, bring them into work for colleagues, or even throw them out (save one or two so you can tell the baker how much you enjoyed them). If they're staying for a cup of tea and a cookie, tell them you just ate but you'd like to save them for later. I find as soon as I have one, I want to have 5, but if I can stay away from them then I'm OK.

Also, make sure you keep them out of sight... even wrapping them in tin foil and putting them on the top shelf can keep me from making them the first thing i eat when I get to the kitchen!! Help avoid temptation by brushing your teeth or chewing gum - that minty taste just kills sugar cravings. Good luck (and be strong, Christmas is almost over!) :)

Oh and one more thing - if someone is staying for a cup of tea and a cookie, put one cookie on a plate and then wrap the rest up and put them far far away. If you leave the platter out on the table in front of you, it is guaranteed that one cookie will turn into 5!!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    thanks for the advice! chewing gum is a good idea never thought of that
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    I am having that problem since it's around the holidays and all the delicious sweets are out. Oh well, they come once a year. As long as I still am counting them, I am fine.
This discussion has been closed.