Everyone losing weight...

Options
Just out of curiosity, what does everyone losing weight have set for their daily calorie intake? I have been currently doing 1200 calories/day but haven't been seeing good numbers. I wonder if 1200 calories a day is to few for me. Any thoughts?

Happy holidays:drinker:

Replies

• ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i would definitely up your calories...start at 1500 and slowly decrease them over time, always chanmge it up.

Currently my goal is 2000 a day but that is because im breastfeeding :)
  • Veggie_Eloise
    Veggie_Eloise Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I do 1200-1500, then I try to eat back half of my workout calories every other day.
    Just to keep switching it up.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    my trainer upped mine from 2,000 to 3,000 to support my workouts. I then started losing again.
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 1200 to 1250 every day...and I see almost daily weight loss. Sometimes I have a hard time keeping my sodium in check and working on that.
  • treetz1979
    treetz1979 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    1650 calories a day, and I generally do not eat back my workout calories that I burn. I lose about a pound a week.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on your diet and exercise. How are you measuring your food calories? Do you weigh and measure everything? Are you tracking sodium? How do you measure your exercise calories burned? Heart rate monitor? Machine readout? MFP database? What does MFP have set as your daily calorie goal? Are you meeting that or undereating?

I know all these questions don't help you much, but it's hard to answer your questions without more info. As for me, I'm on maintenance now, but when I was losing, I was set for 1200 cals a day, and I ate all my exercise calories. I had a few plateaus, but when that happened, I changed my diet (upped protein, lowered carbs) and changed my cardio routine. You have to be patient. It takes a while for changes in your routine to show up. Give it at least 3-4 weeks before you change anything again.

Open your food diary and I may be able to give you more advice. Good luck!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    I lost mine by eating 1,700 to 1,800 a day. Now I'm trying out 2,100 for maintenance. Not sure if that's my magic number or not, but I should be able to tell before long. I wouldn't be sad if it was higher than that, but I have a feeling that's not going to be the case. I can hope!
  • razzmahtazz
    razzmahtazz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist told me she's seen more success with people who eat 1500 calories then with people who eat 1200. Especially if you're exercising, you should eat a bit more. Good luck!
  • amysambora
    Options
    I've been eating 1200 per day and have been losing approx 1.5lb per week. Every now and then I'll go over - maybe 1300-1400, and that seems to make the weight come off quicker. I'm assuming this is because my body responds when I mix it up a bit - when I ate 1300-1400 consistently for a week, I didn't lose.

I can't advise you on exercise calories as I lead a fairly active lifestyle and haven't done much extra exercise - turns out I just needed to stop the excess snacking :)

If you're feeling hungry, have a look at the type of foods you're eating. Are you getting enough complex carbs and protein? If you are and you're still hungry, you should probably look at upping your calorie intake. Just try it for a week or so and see what happens!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 1450 now and I eat my exercise calories back. I have lost my goal of 1 pound per week since I started. I do lose in an uneven manner, however. Some weeks I don't lose a pound and sometimes I lose 1, 2, or half a pound. The most time I have gone without any weight loss has been two weeks. The weight came off quicker at the start and has slowed in the past two months or so but I am still on track with my goal. At first I didn't go below 1600, but as I have lost weight, I have been less hungry and am used to eating less since a person's BMR also decreases as you lose weight. I have steadily lowered my base amount with every five pounds of so lost.
  • velvetechos
    Options
    I have mine set to 1200, exercise daily to burn a minimum of 250cals, and then eat the exercise cals as well so I'm not starving :)
  • johnnya2
    Options
    I
  • johnnya2
    Options
    I
  • johnnya2
    Options
    I think the number will vary widely based on age, weight, height, and gender. My general goal per day is 1800 to lose about 1.5#-2# a week. Once I get to my goal weight (April 1 was the goal date, but it looks like I am a month early) I have calculated I can go to 2400. I will likely stay somewhere between 2000-2250 so I can have a weekly splurge.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    1500-1700. I burn up to 4000 per week.
  • mynameisdumbnuts
    Options
    Mine's 1,550 a day, and I've lost 8 pounds over about six weeks. I exercise about four days a week and usually eat back half my exercise calories. Sometimes I eat as few as 1,200 in a day, sometimes as many as 1,800.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options