Favorite HEALTHY Crock Pot Recipes.

ucaminax
ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
I am looking for some new crock pot recipes. I do the same old same old pot roast and pulled pork, but they are kind of blah and not too healthy! I would love some healthy tasty recipes. Lots of ones from the cookbooks I've tried come out where the meat is kind of stringy and tender but dry and tasteless. So I am looking for everyone's favorite tried and true go-to recipes :-)

Thanks,
Kate

Replies

• neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Have you tried veggie soup? I normally put some tomatoes, okra, corn, onion, and potatoes in my pot and let it simmer while I'm at work. Yummo! Sometimes I throw some beef in.

Oh, and Kraft.com has some good crock pot recipes, and you can even narrow your search based on nutritional value.
  • Neelia is right, you can make most of your favorite soups with the crock pot... I regularly do split pea or hopping john soup on low during the day so that it's ready when I come home. Both are fairly low cal and you can control the sodium easily.

Crock pot spaghetti sauce is a breeze. Sautee your onions and garlic first, with as little oil as you can get away with, then put in your pureed tomatoes and spices, set it on low, and your sauce is ready when you get home, plus your place will have the most wonderful fragrance when you walk in the door after a day of work. I like to broil a half chicken breast then dip small pieces in the sauce, while I watch my kids gobble heaps of pasta and sauce.

My favorite new trick with the slow cooker has to do with soaking beans overnight. I've found that you can put your beans into the pot and set it on low. When you wake in the morning the beans are cooked and ready for whatever recipe you had in mind. This works particularly well if you're making falafels or hummus, where you still have a fair amount of prep time to go before you have a finished meal.
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    I want to know too! :)
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    So glad you asked, because it made me wonder -- and then I googled and found these!

http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/techniques/slow-cooker-classics-00400000001101/
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    bump
  • ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Thanks for all the great ideas-keep em coming! ;-)
  • LOL Kate - the only ones I know (and therefore the only time I use my crockpot) is for a roast or pulled pork :D

But that Beef Provencale from the site looks good...I'll have to that a go :)
  • I don't have a specific recipe, but tomato soup works well in a Crock-Pot. Just watch out for canned broth and canned tomatoes that can send sodium levels through the roof.

Add black beans, ground cumin, frozen corn and then a splash of lime juice before serving and you have a southwestern-style soup. Serve with low-salt, whole grain tortilla chips. Or you could add some browned lean beef or bison to bulk it up.
  • Monda
    Monda Posts: 271 Member
    My kids love Chicken in a Pot! It is so easy to make and healthy. I have not figured the calories out but here is the recipe.

4 boneless chicken breast
    4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
    1 can of baby carrots or 1 cup of fresh baby carrots
    1 cup of fresh broccolli
    1 can of cream of mushroom soup, low fat
    1 can of cream of chicken soup, low fat

Layer the chicken in the bottom of the cooker. Layer potatoes on top of chicken. Layer the carrots on top of the potatoes. Layer the broccoli on top of the carrots. Pour both soups over the broccolli and spread it evenly. Cover and cook for 5 hours on high.

Enjoy!
  • mommyjos
    mommyjos Posts: 98 Member
    always looking for crock pot recipes for Tuesday nights! I go to zumba and when I get home everyone needs to get dinner and get to bed! YUM!
This discussion has been closed.