No energy on ketogenic diet after 6 weeks. Please help.

Options

Replies

• paulie3sticks
    Options
    A low-carb diet works for me. I have been overweight my entire life. Feeling miserable and hungry and finally giving in to that hunger is what derailed me from every previous dieting attempt. This is the only time I have tried a low-carb diet and I don't feel hungry, and that has made all the difference for me. Being in a calorie deficit allows me to lose weight. Being low-carb allows me to enjoy it, and not feel like I'm giving up on anything.

That said, and without seeing your daily diary and gram intake, it looks like your carb intake is low and your protein intake is very low.
  • OldSportOldsport
    OldSportOldsport Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Keto is unnecessary and can be downright dangerous. You can lose weight without it. Feeling ill and too weak to function...that's not a sign of good health.

Keto is nonsense. Eat and track your calories.

Speak for yourself. Keto works for a huge amount of people and there's mounting evidence that a low-carb diet has substantial health benefits. It might not work for OP but there's a lot of people (including me) who it does work for.
    What are the health benefits of losing let's say 60 lbs and doing it with Low carb that you would not get by losing the weight with non low carb?

The health benefits - not so much for me (though I've seen non-health markers improve in terms of looks etc), but for diabetics and the insulin resistant there's growing evidence that it's the best type of diet. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination saying everyone should leap on a low carb bandwagon. People can make their own choices about what is best for their bodies, their weightloss and their health. All I'm asking is that other people extend the same lack of judgement towards diets that they personally don't like.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Here's your "low carb zealot", right here. And I don't take that as an insult, so yea, nice try. :yawn:

If you want to stick to this, make sure you are upping your sodium, potassium and magnesium. Lack of electrolytes is the leading cause of these kinds of symptoms. So add more salt, get some potassium and magnesium supplements. Also UP your water intake.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Your brain mistly uses glucose for energy. Glucose comes from carbs. Your body can not magically turn protein (amino acids) or fat (lipids) into glucose. It just doesn't happen. That is why low blood sugar causes confusion and altered mental status.

Your choice if you want to stay with your diet, but when you pass out, EMS/hospital is going to give you glucose, and in a large amount.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options
    Your brain mistly uses glucose for energy. Glucose comes from carbs. Your body can not magically turn protein (amino acids) or fat (lipids) into glucose. It just doesn't happen. That is why low blood sugar causes confusion and altered mental status.

Your choice if you want to stay with your diet, but when you pass out, EMS/hospital is going to give you glucose, and in a large amount.

I've been doing low carb for over a year. My brain is working as it should and I have LOADS of energy.
  • OldSportOldsport
    Options

What are the health benefits of losing let's say 60 lbs and doing it with Low carb that you would not get by losing the weight with non low carb?

The health benefits - not so much for me (though I've seen non-health markers improve in terms of looks etc), but for diabetics and the insulin resistant there's growing evidence that it's the best type of diet. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination saying everyone should leap on a low carb bandwagon. People can make their own choices about what is best for their bodies, their weightloss and their health. All I'm asking is that other people extend the same lack of judgement towards diets that they personally don't like.
    I'm not anti-low carb. I do understand that can be a great thing while dealing with medical barriers, not denying that. I am however anti extremism from the ones without medical issues where they try and eliminate carbs because they label them evil or when people think low carb or keto is some magical solution that will get you results that a balanced deficit would.

I don't think it's magic - and that accusation can be thrown at anybody who follows any diet. Naturally we think our brand is best because it works for <i>us</i>. I don't think carbs are evil or wrong. I just don't think they deserve the same place as fats and proteins in a daily diet or that they're essential to have a lot of. It's not a magical solution, but it works for a certain type of person who works in a certain type of way.
  • OldSportOldsport
    Options

I'm not anti-low carb. I do understand that can be a great thing while dealing with medical barriers, not denying that. I am however anti extremism from the ones without medical issues where they try and eliminate carbs because they label them evil or when people think low carb or keto is some magical solution that will get you results that a balanced deficit would.

I don't think it's magic - and that accusation can be thrown at anybody who follows any diet. Naturally we think our brand is best because it works for <i>us</i>. I don't think carbs are evil or wrong. I just don't think they deserve the same place as fats and proteins in a daily diet or that they're essential to have a lot of. It's not a magical solution, but it works for a certain type of person who works in a certain type of way.
    That right there is subjective. To you they are not as important. To me they are. For my weight training and it's progression. For my desired energy levels to perform at work. For my sanity. So we can't say they aren't essential because they can be.

They may be essential to you but they aren't to me. Your experience is as subjective as mine. Again, I am speaking only for myself - I was careful to say only 'I' rather than 'they are'. I make no claims for everyone here. Just that I'm really tired of people feeling free to attack other people over their diet choices because they don't like them.
  • the1brit
    the1brit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The body can make glucose from protein and fat. The process is called gluconeogenesis, and once you are keto adapted the brain runs mostly on ketones, with some glucose from gluconeogenesis. The belief that the brain can only run on glucose is a falsehood.
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You can't honestly be surprised of how you feel. What a terrible way to eat and live.

THIS
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but anything that messes with or strays from the natural order of things is, well, not natural. You can't play around with your body and how it works like this. Fads and gimmicks to short cut around what is the real problem. Overeating is that real problem. Eating the wrong things, in the wrong amounts. Keto shmeto, eat a normal food plan, take in less than you put out, and you will lose weight. Maybe not as fast as you would like, but much safer than what you are doing.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options
    I'm sorry, but anything that messes with or strays from the natural order of things is, well, not natural. You can't play around with your body and how it works like this. Fads and gimmicks to short cut around what is the real problem. Overeating is that real problem. Eating the wrong things, in the wrong amounts. Keto shmeto, eat a normal food plan, take in less than you put out, and you will lose weight. Maybe not as fast as you would like, but much safer than what you are doing.

Keto isn't a freaking fad. Why can't you people understand that? I've been on keto for over a year. It helped me shed 30 lbs that WERE NOT MOVING on a standard eating plan of high carbs and low fat. I would say it's damn successful and although I do plan to up my carbs a little bit once in maintenance, I NEVER plan to eat high carb and low fat ever again. I feel awesome eating this way and I love that I can make keto-friendly versions of many ordinary things that taste just as good, if not better. I'm so sick of this garbage of people ridiculing and talking down to those of us who DARE to eat differently. It's like being in high school all over again and it's bloody stupid.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Keto isn't a freaking fad.

Yes, it is. If you want to eat like that, it's totally cool, go for it. But to suggest it's not a fringe diet would be false.

Twenty years from now people will look back on keto the same way we now look back on the "low fat" advice of yesteryear.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

Yes, it is. If you want to eat like that, it's totally cool, go for it. But to suggest it's not a fringe diet would be false.

Twenty years from now people will look back on keto the same way we now look back on the "low fat" advice of yesteryear.

That's your opinion on the matter. To say it's a fad is also an opinion and a very pathetic way of insulting those of us who eat that way and get good results.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am in week 7 of ketogenic eating. I selected it for medical reasons and upon reading it could help me lose weight that was a bonus. If it is not working for you then try something else. I have noticed only good things and it really suits me but it is not for everyone same as things that work fantastically for others have not been for me.

6 weeks seems like a long time not to have had any benefits. I do not think the same things work for everyone.
    If you are doing this for reasons other than just weight loss then I would consult with a doctor to check out if you are lacking in something. Also those macros seem quite extreme even to me. I am loving the ketogenic way but I love my veg and eat lots of it every day. I keep my net carbs under 20g per day that is carbs - fiber. My total carbs are generally under 40g per day. If you are keeping your total carbs at under 15g per day that is very low if it is net carbs then that is ok but could still increase it to 20-30g net carbs and see if that helps.

Your protein may be too low also but can not tell without seeing your diary to see what that comes to. It is important to eat adequate protein for your size and activity level. You will rubbish if your protein is too low. The plan is to reduce carbs by sticking to low starch vegetables and sometimes low carb fruits for carbs. The reduction in carbs is then replaced with healthy fats, Protien remains moderate, not high or low.

I did loads of reading up about it before I started because I wanted to make sure I was safe and confident in what I was doing. It is not something to enter in to lightly. How much do you know about what you are doing? have you done much reading about it or got advice from a doctor?

If you have not already join MFP ketogenic group, it is called Keto, do a search for it in groups section. You can ask questions and get advice there from people with longer term experience.

My immediate inclination would be to increase your carbs and establish how much protein you need and make sure you are getting it. If you do not know try this site as a guide http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Are you taking any supplements?
    many people following ketogenic diet take magnesium , potassium , multivit supplements especially while transitioning from Glucose fuelled to ketone fuelled state. Again it is important to get dose right for you.

I generally eat 60-75% fat 20-25% protein and under 10% carbs but % is not really what matters, If set on ketogenic eating then you need to get the right protein amount for you, Keep carbs low enough to stay in ketosis and fill in the rest with healthy fats.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

That's your opinion on the matter. To say it's a fad is also an opinion and a very pathetic way of insulting those of us who eat that way and get good results.

I didn't insult anybody or anything. You are free to take it as such, if you like. But that is on you - I am not responsible for your reactions (or over-reactions).

As I've said many, many times to many, many people - eat what you like.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I have no views on keto either way.

But it doesn't sound like it's suitable for you. I'd try I different macro split. 14% carbs sounds miserable.

Edit: just noticed it's 14% protein and 3 % carbs - holy F