I need help

Options
So recently I've been feeling a bit down, after nearly 3 months my weight loss is not what i'd like it to be.
Now I know a lot of people will tell me that losing 27 pounds is great and yes it is but I had been aiming to lose between 3-4 lbs per week (meaning by this point i'd have hoped to have lost 36 - 48lbs)
I've found upping my calorie intake has helped boost the weight loss again, but i'm finding myself super bloated, retaining lots of water and generally feeling a bit blurgh, I've tried water retention tablets, which worked to begin with but now not so much and peppermint oil for the bloating but no success, so any help would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You are averaging 2.25 pounds a week which is quite excellent. Remember, you want something that is sustainable. You are doing fantastic. As for feeling bloated, your diary is closed so can't quite say but I would check your sodium, as that can cause water retention.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Probably the best way to get advice is to open your diary. Also current weight and height.

I was going to say don't worry about your specific time frames, but from looking at your profile, you're getting married in Feb so I do understand that feeling a bit more.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    with 50lb to lose, losing 3-4lb per week is not realistic.
  • IndieCharlotte
    IndieCharlotte Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I actually don't know how open my diary, I thought it was open.
    I currently weigh 196 lbs and I'm 5 foot 6
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I actually don't know how open my diary, I thought it was open.
    I currently weigh 196 lbs and I'm 5 foot 6

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Scroll to the bottom, select Public and save the update
  • IndieCharlotte
    Options
    Thank you JaneiR36. My diary is now open
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    So recently I've been feeling a bit down, after nearly 3 months my weight loss is not what i'd like it to be.
    Now I know a lot of people will tell me that losing 27 pounds is great and yes it is but I had been aiming to lose between 3-4 lbs per week (meaning by this point i'd have hoped to have lost 36 - 48lbs)
    I've found upping my calorie intake has helped boost the weight loss again, but i'm finding myself super bloated, retaining lots of water and generally feeling a bit blurgh, I've tried water retention tablets, which worked to begin with but now not so much and peppermint oil for the bloating but no success, so any help would be greatly appreciated
    are you serious? losing 3.5 lbs per week is a 1750 daily deficit, this is a HUGE energy deficit for any human unless you are legit 500 lbs obese
  • IndieCharlotte
    Options
    For those questioning the 3-4lbs per week, before I started dieting I sat down with a doctor and dietician to work out what was an achievable and healthy amount to lose per week with my calorie intake and this was the amount of lbs that they worked out it would be healthy for me to lose per week
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    For those questioning the 3-4lbs per week, before I started dieting I sat down with a doctor and dietician to work out what was an achievable and healthy amount to lose per week with my calorie intake and this was the amount of lbs that they worked out it would be healthy for me to lose per week

it might have been for the first 30lbs, but you cant expect to lose 3-4lb per week every week until you're at goal?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

it might have been for the first 30lbs, but you cant expect to lose 3-4lb per week every week until you're at goal?

Also, take into consideration that losing 3-4 lbs per week will make it difficult to get adequate nutrient (especially protein) which will increase the loss of lean body mass. And considering most days are less than 50g of protein, I can almost assure the OP that the loss of lean body mass will occur, which means a slower metabolic rate, and it will take longer to achieve a tight body.

Body composition, not weight, it what determines if a person is going to be lean of flabby. I know plenty of women on here that are underweight and still flabby, but at the same time, I know several women on here at the higher end of their weight loss and completely fit.

Losing at a more reasonable rate, while resistance training and eating .8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass will provide much better results than quick unsustainable weight loss.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Now that you've lost 30 lbs, I bet they would not say the same thing at this stage. If you doubt us, just give them a call and ask :)

Yes, 3.5 lbs is 1750 deficit per day. Your current maintenance calories according to MFP if you're sedentary outside exercise is 2000 calories. This means that all your food that you could eat would have to come from exercise - minimum of two hours of butt kicking cardio per day, more like three to four. This leaves little room to actually live, plan your wedding, maybe do something good for yourself fitness wise like add strength/resistance training to minimize the loss of muscle mass

If you were to exercise 1 hour per day, you still weigh enough to lose 2 lbs per week possibly, and even then personally I'd prefer to eat a bit more. 2 lbs at your weight would probably be the most I'd attempt

You never know - you may be happier with your body as you get closer to goal, without necessarily needing to be *at* goal to feel fulfilled with your new shape. Good luck

If you insist on doing it your way, you may wish to pick up an additional part time butt kicking very active job and maintain your same diet and exercise schedule. I couldn't. I love my daily naps haha