I did it!!

mello
mello Posts: 817 Member
I signed up for my local gym two weeks ago, I FINALLY got the courage up to pull my baggy sweat pants on and walk in and get on a treadmill. The first step is the hardest!!!

I walked at 3.0 for 45 min, met two really nice people who are already looking for me tomorrow (accountability!!) and I feel like I can do this!!

Replies

• mello
    I signed up for my local gym two weeks ago, I FINALLY got the courage up to pull my baggy sweat pants on and walk in and get on a treadmill. The first step is the hardest!!!

I walked at 3.0 for 45 min, met two really nice people who are already looking for me tomorrow (accountability!!) and I feel like I can do this!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Great job!!!! That is wonderful!! You go girl!
  • mello
    Thank you!! I have a question, I've been reading alot on here about excercise calories.....am I supposed to eat those? I'm eating 1200 now, per doc's orders. I've been reading that if you eat them it helps???
  • TamTastic
    Yes, because you are already at a calorie deficit on here at the 1200 you are at....so if you burn, say 300 calories, that means you are only taking in 900 NET calories, which is unhealthy.

If you were JUST exercising to lose weight and not cutting calories, then of course it would make no sense to eat the exercise calories. But since you are already doing what you need to do with the food...cutting calories more isn't a good idea.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    EAT THEM!!!!!

Give that metabolism a boost with small frequent meals, and eat those calories! Word on the street (MFP street) is that you need to eat those calories to avoid "starvation mode". Even my doctor was horrified that I was eating 1200 calories, and said, "Come and see me if your hair starts falling out!".

EAT THEM.
    :flowerforyou:

BTW... congrats on the 6lbs and taking that first step!
    :smile:
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Yes, but beware the calorie read outs on exercise equipment is often wrong. A heart rate monitor can help. I'd be cautious of anything that says more than 300 calories for 30 min!
  • AJCM
    Yes, but beware the calorie read outs on exercise equipment is often wrong. A heart rate monitor can help. I'd be cautious of anything that says more than 300 calories for 30 min!

Excellent point!
  • mello
    wow, now I'm scared of my Doc just a little.....I wonder why he restricted my calories so much.
  • TamTastic

Yes, that is another thing. I tend to cut at least 15% off what the readout says on the elliptical at the gym.

I do an hour..and at the level I do, it says I burn over 800 calories......but I usually bring it down to 700. I don't eat all of them, but I do make sure my net is close to 1200.
  • AJCM
    I'm sorry - I hope I didn't scare you! My GP just thought that 1200 calories a day was very little! Apparently hair loss accompanies very restrictive diets, but I have not experience any of that yet, and I'm 10 weeks in!

Oh - I re-read your post - your doc ORDERED 1200 calories? Then you are good! My uncle needed surgery, and was put on 800 calories a day for a few months leading up to surgery, so it can't be too bad!

Others have recommended not eating less than your BMR calories, to avoid starvation mode.

You're doing great - keep it up!
  • mello
    Thanks for the advice. The hair thing alarmed me because I am very prone to hair loss anyway. It's like I molt in the summer!!! :laugh: I don't want to give my body any other reason to shed hair.

and thank you so very much for the kudos!!:flowerforyou:
  • deec
    deec Posts: 19 Member
    silly question?!? for an average day of walking in and out of say the groc store or at work, or just up and down the stairs with laundry are these calories burned already calculated in or do you add it under cardio/ strengh training?!?:tongue:
  • laureneva
    laureneva Posts: 372 Member
    congrats!!!!
    :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • mello
    deec, I'm to new to know, sorry
  • AJCM
    Deec - all the regular calories of the day are factored in on the activity level that you select in your settings, depending on what you choose (e.g. sedentary, etc). I only log calories that are burned in an aerobic state. :flowerforyou:
  • deec
    deec Posts: 19 Member
    Good to know....tempting to up the calories burned for running around like a chick with her head off .lol
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member

BRAVO!!
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Mello,

It's important to eat extra healthy when restricting calories. You want to maximize "quality" calories in.

If you have the energy to walk for 45 minutes, but aren't hungry at the end of the day, you are probably doing fine.

BTW, the FDA came up with the oft quoted "2,000 calories a day" recommendation ... which I think much too high for the typical woman. Many people cling to that number.

I watched a presentation by Dr. Neal Barnard a couple weeks ago ... if I remember correctly, he recommends taking your ideal weight and multiplying by 10 for a daily caloric intake. Which is about right for me on MFP when I count my exercise calories.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    good job so far.. here are some of the posts that helped me with my questions
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    and Deec if you put down a sedentary livestyle I would count them or if it is something you don't do every day or for like 2 hours at a time. I count mine if it is something I normally don't do.