I want to start lifting! Help!

Options
The most experience I have with weights is doing 30DS with dumbbells. I really want to get into lifting and get leaner, but I have no idea where to start. I have a gym membership, but only use it for cardio machines at the moment. Venturing into the weights section of the gym with all the big men kind of terrifies me.

Can anyone recommend a good way to start? Any good programs? How did you ladies who lift get started? Unfortunately I can't afford a personal training session, so I'm going to have to learn about form and things on my own. I know the internet is an excellent resource, but even things that are aimed at beginners are really confusing me. :ohwell:

Replies

• Pretojl4
    Pretojl4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started stronglifts 5x5 a week ago, and so far i like it alot, maybe read up on it and see what You think.....
  • rachiealx
    Options
    I started stronglifts 5x5 a week ago, and so far i like it alot, maybe read up on it and see what You think.....

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll start reading up. :smile:

I just read the sticky post about women in the free weights section, so I'm going to have a look for that Starting Strength book too.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts has a free app that will tell you what to do! It's a great start but make sure you're doing the form correctly ( and check out the website for any questions/form/general guidance)
    Otherwise I started looking up some basic moves - curls, row, overhead press, calf raises while holding dumbbells, and went from there. Every now and then I would see someone doing something and try it out. You can also mix in body weight stuff to help, push ups, sit ups, pull ups (assisted to start), lunges.
  • tash0904
    tash0904 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have also just recently gotten into lifting! It is very daunting venturing over to the free weights section with all the big men there, so I get your fear! But I have noticed that most of them are actually quite nice and wont mind if you ask them for help (i think they actually enjoy it!)

Good Luck!
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I can also recommend StrongLifts.
    I started it back in April and it's a great program :)
  • holmzyyy
    Options
    Hi Rachie, first of all when starting weights form and posture is key to building muscle. For tips on form and techniques type in youtube: athleanx or sixpackshortcuts, which are both great weight lifting advice videos. I also suggest working on your core muscles before you start lifting weights as having weak core muscles will inhibit progress. Lastly try to enjoy it and don't worry about the other guys in weight section they have been lifting for years. Start at a weight which your comfortable with and continue to push the weight up which will help your progressive overload. Another tip is having no breaks in between exercises as it will not only help build lean muscle mass but also burn fat. Lastly a very important tip for lifting weights is 'vacuuming' which is squeezing your stomach muscles in whilst lifting which will encourage better tecnique and form. Good luck lifting and if you need any more advice or a weight training plan, ie what days to train each muscles or reps then add and message me :)
    Your friend Alex
  • rachiealx
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, guys.

I'm going to finish 30DS with the weights I'm using at the minute, then I'm going to start SL 5x5 at the beginning of next month. I'll be able to afford a session with a personal trainer then, which is great. Practicing form and things in the house at the minute, and feeling a bit silly doing it! :laugh:
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    the gym manager should be available to show you how to lift... otherwise i found watching what others do and always keeping my core engaged helpful :D... if there is a chick with a nice butt, a butt that i want.... i watch her exercises and next time i go to the gym i copy
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I wanted to start doing squats and deadliest. I knew how to do things with barbells on the bench and with dumbbells standing, but I was afraid of the bigger, more complex moves. Afraid of doing it wrong and looking silly, I guess.

First, you can learn a lot from books. There are lots of basic books on weight lifting, including one for Dummies.

What I did was to watch lots and lots of videos on Youtube. I practiced the motions without weights, then with lighter weights. Then... I asked a gym employee to check my form on squats. Gym employees are usually very happy to do this. (I'd say "always" because I've never met one who wasn't happy to help, but I'm sure there exists a jerk or two out there.) By "gym employees" I mean the staff trainers and teachers, not the receptionist or janitors. LOL. Anyway, the woman I asked was very happy to help me. I think she is a personal trainer and would be paid to do hourly sessions (there are always a few of them about) but they don't mind if you ask a quick question. If anything, they'll possibly see it as an opportunity to get their toe in the door with you should you choose to hire a trainer.

Just don't take the piss and ask them to spend more than five minutes or so with you.

So, you can get the ideas for a basic routine from books and then get the "how to" from videos, and if necessary, ask one of the members of staff to check you're doing it right.
  • katday680
    Options
    Lifting weights is a bunch of fun! I have been learning to lift heavy for the past four months. It does make a huge difference and is a great challenge. I was fortunate enough to hire a trainer once a week. I must emphasize that form is CRITICAL. My husband actually dislocated his shoulder this past week due to sloppy form on the shoulder press. An above poster suggested asking the gym manager. If they can help you that is awesome!! Not sure if you know anyone in your area who lifts but that would also be a great way to get into the correct form and how to plan workouts and goals. If all else fails, start with YouTube videos and watch yourself closely in the mirror. Feel free to add me as a friend and I'm happy to help any way I can!

Best of luck and I'm sure you're going to love it!