Oh, the pain! (but it's a good pain!)

Options
I am so blessed. My ambulance squad was "gifted" with a full gym installed at our hall, yes you can all be jealous! :wink:
My still super-fit Army buddy came for a visit last week and opened my eyes to the fact that I was wasting the opportunity by NOT being in that gym every chance I could. I explained that I was intimidated by all the equipment and had no clue what to do. He jumped right on that and gave me detailed instruction. I've been going for 4 days, Sunday is my rest day, and OMG!!!! The "easiest" exercise I was "assigned" is Big Ball Wall Crunches. When doing these, I just knew I had to be doing them wrong because they were too easy. Let me tell you, last night I had to teach a class, and when I lecture I tend to pace around like a caged lion. I found myself standing still most of the night. I KNOW I am doing these things correctly because I can feel that I have abdominal muscles, not just flab. Today is an AB day and I don't know how I am going to do it...but I will. It HURTS! (not in a bad, "I've injured myself" way) And I'm lovin' it! Does that make me a glutton for punishment?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    It HURTS! (not in a bad, "I've injured myself" way) And I'm lovin' it! Does that make me a glutton for punishment?

Yes. But it's pretty common. I prefer to have full functionality the next day, otherwise my performance drops. So i view bad soreness as overtraining.

By the way, most trainers will say that crunches aren't the most functional exercise. Since you're new to strength training, it's best to follow a pro-designed program, not a buddy's program (regardless of their physique). Good programs include NROL and Stronglifts.. or work with a good personal trainer.