Lifting but not feeling sore anymore.

2»

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Are you using dumbbells???
    i think i'm actually doing 80 now that i think about it. like 40 on each side. i'm just afraid of hurting my back or something else by using more weight. i'll lower the reps too. seems like that is a good idea!

don't forget to add the bar weight, if you have 40 per side and if you're using a OLY bar, then its really 125lbs

well its one of those preset weights. i dont know a better way to explain it better than that. i cannot change the weights on either side and we have like a rack of ones of varying weights

A lot of gyms have the EZ barbells (or something like that). They are pre-weighted barbells.

OP, if that's what you're using and it says 40 on it, then it's 40 pounds. I would suggest finding the gym's squat rack. Use the OLY bar (the standard one), which is 45 pounds by itself, and add weights evenly on each side. I'd keep adding until you get a weight you can do about 8-10 reps with, and do 3 sets of those. That will help build muscle, and it sounds like you want to get a bigger booty? (If you want to build strength but not size, go a bit heavier, where you can do about 5 sets of 5 reps)
  • tleg0312
    tleg0312 Posts: 5 Member
    i think i'm actually doing 80 now that i think about it. like 40 on each side. i'm just afraid of hurting my back or something else by using more weight. i'll lower the reps too. seems like that is a good idea!

don't forget to add the bar weight, if you have 40 per side and if you're using a OLY bar, then its really 125lbs

well its one of those preset weights. i dont know a better way to explain it better than that. i cannot change the weights on either side and we have like a rack of ones of varying weights

A lot of gyms have the EZ barbells (or something like that). They are pre-weighted barbells.

OP, if that's what you're using and it says 40 on it, then it's 40 pounds. I would suggest finding the gym's squat rack. Use the OLY bar (the standard one), which is 45 pounds by itself, and add weights evenly on each side. I'd keep adding until you get a weight you can do about 8-10 reps with, and do 3 sets of those. That will help build muscle, and it sounds like you want to get a bigger booty? (If you want to build strength but not size, go a bit heavier, where you can do about 5 sets of 5 reps)

ok i think thats it!! i'll try that. sadly i always go to the gym by myself and i'd like someone to spot for me but i guess that means i'll just have to make some friends! Thanks!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    4 sets of 25? Are you trying to gain muscle in your glutes or do some cardio?

25 reps is warm up. Up the weight, drop the reps. you are going for gaaaaainz not endurance.

My friday squat session featured a couple 30 rep sets and a couple drop sets.

Then I started going up in weight at 10 reps per set until I hit 230, and I switched to 5 reps per, and crept up to 250 before I was given the "time to go home" signal from my wife. I think total volume after warmup was 120 squats? :D

It's fun to do from time to time to work on this:
    http://lifehacker.com/how-and-why-to-develop-your-mental-toughness-1619305771
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Your gym should have a squat rack. It's all the spotting you need.

ok i think thats it!! i'll try that. sadly i always go to the gym by myself and i'd like someone to spot for me but i guess that means i'll just have to make some friends! Thanks!!
  • DjinnMarie
    Define "fun".

I love a good change and challenge, but I just hope you aren't doing this often. Lmao.
    4 sets of 25? Are you trying to gain muscle in your glutes or do some cardio?

25 reps is warm up. Up the weight, drop the reps. you are going for gaaaaainz not endurance.

My friday squat session featured a couple 30 rep sets and a couple drop sets.

Then I started going up in weight at 10 reps per set until I hit 230, and I switched to 5 reps per, and crept up to 250 before I was given the "time to go home" signal from my wife. I think total volume after warmup was 120 squats? :D

It's fun to do from time to time to work on this:
    http://lifehacker.com/how-and-why-to-develop-your-mental-toughness-1619305771
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Soreness doesn't equal a great workout - it just means that you worked muscles that haven't been worked in a while. I would definitely find a progressive program though.

QFT
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Look for something that looks like this, the bars are your spotter

HF310.jpg
  • dbmata
    Look for something that looks like this:

squat-in-power-rack.jpg

Those horizontal cross bars are adjustable, so you do a couple practice squats, figure out how high you need those cross members, and then go work. If you have to drop the bar, the pins will catch it.
  • dbmata
    Define "fun".

I love a good change and challenge, but I just hope you aren't doing this often. Lmao.
    I'll spare you the fun that was my hour long dead lift only session. ;) Working strength + endurance with my coach, and erg... there is a lot of suck.
  • DjinnMarie
    You my man, are bat chit clown shoes crazy.

I reserve these beast mode tactics for busting through plateaus, and it requires a 2 week recovery.
    Define "fun".

I'll spare you the fun that was my hour long dead lift only session. ;) Working strength + endurance with my coach, and erg... there is a lot of suck.
  • dbmata
    I'm afraid of plateaus, what kind of Leonidas level insanity is related to beat one of those?

I'll become Lord IcyHot of the Bengayli Nation.
  • DjinnMarie
    When I do it I go into a coma for 24 hours and leave my husband and kids to fend for themselves. I don't think he would enjoy me doing that every week.
    I'm afraid of plateaus, what kind of Leonidas level insanity is related to beat one of those?

I'll become Lord IcyHot of the Bengayli Nation.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    DO Brazilian BUTT lift... LOL... seriously... hit the ol' YouTube... search "lunges" and you ought to find a couple hundred videos demonstrating a couple hundred types of lunges... not only is it important to go front to back and side to side but diagonally as well... ALSO... forward and backward... focusing on ONE exercise...or even one area... will lead to pain and eventually an injury from the imbalance of your muscle groups... think long term... think balance... as a beginner or as someone with only a passing idea of what they believe they want...get the 5x5 app... follow it for 12 weeks... and in those 12 weeks... edumacate yourself in the do's and don'ts... THEN once those 12 weeks are over you should have created a sound muscular foundation to move into more advanced lifting and sweating techniques...

Best of luck!!!