Are your maintanance calories enough for you?

Options
when I don't exercise I struggle since I find my calorie goal not enough. I am 5`3 and my goal is 120 so I am worried that my maintenance calories wont be enough and I will end up gaining some weight back. If that's the case then is it better to stay heavy so you get to eat more? I am currently at 135 but not satisfied with the way I look since my thighs are still thick

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Why not exercise? When you get too thin for your frame, then weight comes off in places we don't want it to. Attractive muscley legs may be the way to go for you.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I focus on core and upper body with my PT - I get my 10k steps in every day as well. I am a new convert to weight lifting. I only have three thirty minute sessions a week and it is pretty amazing the results one can get in just 5 sessions. The other 4 days I do more Barre3 which focuses on that long lean dancer's look. (just 30 minutes a day on that as well - I get my steps in through out the day)

I only walked and did light yoga during my weight loss period. Now that I am on maintenance (going on third year) I can say that worked for me quite well, but I can see why many people extol the virtues of weight training while losing weight. If you do it right, you can break out a pretty heavy sweat in a short time!

PS> So obviously, I vote get more activity into your daily routine any way you can so you can eat at a level that doesn't leave you "hungry" all the time and/or find the right types of food to eat that don't leave you hungry an hour later. I think starting with any step tracking device (pedometer, fitbit, fuel band, up bracelet, etc) and adding more steps in your routine is the best way if you are overwhelmed with time commitments to find 30 minutes to exercise. i did .. I found myself parking in the furthest space from the door everywhere I went, walking to the bathroom farthest away on the floor I worked on, walking 20 minutes to lunch, eating for 20 minutes, and then walking back for 20 minutes. (all in the air conditioned tunnels in downtown Houston).
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yes provided that I eat enough foods with a lower caloric density that will leave me feeling full. Foods like vegetables, beans, fruit and whole grains also help to balance out my higher calorie favorites.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    As long as I eat between 1800 and 1900 calories per day I am able to maintain my weight. Anything less than that and My weight ends up going too low. I also do heavy weightlifting 3X/week combined with 6 days of cardio workouts.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Maintenance at 120 lbs or less is tough! I am just under 5'3" also, and I got down to 112, which was not too bad for my frame, although when I look at pictures, I would say that is the lowest I need to go.

The sad story is that I was not able to maintain at 112 for longer than a year. I am now back up to 130 and fighting to get it back off. It is harder this time around.

I should maintain where I would like (about 120) on about 1500-1600 calories, with exercise. So that means that on days I don't exercise I need to eat around 1300-1400. Honestly speaking, no that is not always enough to feel full, unless I eat only healthy foods. There just isn't much room for treats on non exercise days. Basically, I "save" calories for my evening meal by eating a really small breakfast and lunch. Then I can have a normal dinner, and sometimes even a bit of dessert or a glass of wine. Sometimes this really sucks!!

I know plenty of people will say, "just exercise more" or even "you need to eat more that is too little", but if you run the numbers through most calculators, that is what you get. And for my life right now, I can't add more than the 45 minutes per day of exercise that I am doing without either my family or my job suffering.

So I feel your pain. The truth is, short gals have to weigh less to be slim. And if you weigh less it takes less to maintain your bodyweight. So we have to eat less.

One thing that can help is weight training. You will be able to weigh a bit more and still look slim, and muscle burns a few more calories than other tissue. So definitely add some weight training if you haven't already. There are plenty of threads on here that will help you get started.

So sorry, and best of luck!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling a bit too.
    I've only just started maintaining and i'm feeling it already!
    I haven't really exercised much, so there is that i suppose.
    But 1600 cals now seems kinda paltry.
    To some people it's loads, but to me it feels like i'm still cutting down.
    I've defo been going over 1600 (and with it being the time of the month, that isn't helping either).
    Why did i think maintaining would be easy? :noway:
  • tigerblue
    Options
    When I first started with my resistance training (pre-MFP), I lost 5 inches off my hips before I even lost 15 pounds. This is why people advise weight training. Muscle doesn't weight more than fat, but it does take up less space. So, if you add muscle, you can probably stay the same weight and have the size legs you're looking for. That way you won't have to eat so few calories.

ETA: I'm 5'4" and 156 lbs. I'm wearing size 6-8 pants. When I was 21, I weighed 140 and wore a size 10. Muscle does make a difference.

Muscle most definitely does make a difference.

But be careful of size inflation when comparing sizes from several years in the past. (Even 10 years makes a difference). As a teen (30 years ago) I weighed 102 lbs and was a size 8. Now at 129 I am size 6. But it is not just that I have more muscle. My waist now measures 29". It measured 25" when I weighed 102. So, in 1986 a 25" waist was a size 8. Today a 29" waist is a size 6. Apples and oranges!
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Maintenance at 120 lbs or less is tough! I am just under 5'3" also, and I got down to 112, which was not too bad for my frame, although when I look at pictures, I would say that is the lowest I need to go.

The sad story is that I was not able to maintain at 112 for longer than a year. I am now back up to 130 and fighting to get it back off. It is harder this time around.

I should maintain where I would like (about 120) on about 1500-1600 calories, with exercise. So that means that on days I don't exercise I need to eat around 1300-1400. Honestly speaking, no that is not always enough to feel full, unless I eat only healthy foods. There just isn't much room for treats on non exercise days. Basically, I "save" calories for my evening meal by eating a really small breakfast and lunch. Then I can have a normal dinner, and sometimes even a bit of dessert or a glass of wine. Sometimes this really sucks!!

I know plenty of people will say, "just exercise more" or even "you need to eat more that is too little", but if you run the numbers through most calculators, that is what you get. And for my life right now, I can't add more than the 45 minutes per day of exercise that I am doing without either my family or my job suffering.

So I feel your pain. The truth is, short gals have to weigh less to be slim. And if you weigh less it takes less to maintain your bodyweight. So we have to eat less.

One thing that can help is weight training. You will be able to weigh a bit more and still look slim, and muscle burns a few more calories than other tissue. So definitely add some weight training if you haven't already. There are plenty of threads on here that will help you get started.

I'm also under 5'3" (actually 5'2") and trying to maintain 115-117 but at the MFP TDEE, I found I was gaining weight so I am trying to maintain at 1200 PLUS exercise calories. So true - shorter gals need less calories!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open, so I can't tell if you are eating enough or what. So, I'm not sure how useful this answer is. I'm 5'3" and 125, with a body fat count of 19.6, at last count. I'm also 67 and that isn't an issue.

I have my activity level at very active and my maintenance allowance is 1960/day plus whatever workouts I do. I use an activity tracker so I don't log exercises and MFP isn't so good at getting the right number. However, I eat constantly at maintenance and not having any trouble keeping stable.

I've been under 120 once since high school, after an operation and my face is totally drawn. At 125, I wear a size 6 or small and I have muscle definition. If I go too much lower, I look awful.

I agree with "just exercise more." Even if you have a desk job, you can get up for five minutes every hour and tool around the office. That would be good for staying aware for work as well as adding 40 minutes to your cal burned every day. If you are not in a deficite, working out with weights will help. You don't have to do heavy lifting to get toned and build muscle. I do body pump and a free weight class and never use more than 30lb.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I'm also under 5'3" (actually 5'2") and trying to maintain 115-117 but at the MFP TDEE, I found I was gaining weight so I am trying to maintain at 1200 PLUS exercise calories. So true - shorter gals need less calories!

Actually ladies it easy to maintain 120 @ 5 ft 3...at high calories...my sister does it on 2500 calories a day...she is a size 2. She does Karate 2x a week, cardio x2 and a video once or twice...she works 40 hours a week and has lots of fun on the weekend...

I might be taller and heavier but in May my TDEE was 2137...it is now 2260...so I gained 130 calories in 4 months all due to exercise, losing fat and keeping muscle. The key is exercise and having the muscle mass required, hence the reason it is mentioned to do resistence training or weight lifting at the start of this...
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Your body NEEDS less food when it's smaller. You'll just have to get used to it. Stop when you've eaten enough.

I'd love to be 125lb but 127 is where I'm at now because I like to eat almost as much as I used to when I was fatter.

In order maintain at 127 I have to do a lot of exercise to eat what I like. I also have to experience true hunger before mealtimes, and do very little eating just for the pleasure or comfort. It's hard. But it's not as hard as feeling constantly miserable about my figure and uncomfortable tight jeans.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    ............ I also have to experience true hunger before mealtimes, and do very little eating just for the pleasure or comfort.

Huh??? :noway:
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Your body NEEDS less food when it's smaller. You'll just have to get used to it. Stop when you've eaten enough.

I'd love to be 125lb but 127 is where I'm at now because I like to eat almost as much as I used to when I was fatter.

In order maintain at 127 I have to do a lot of exercise to eat what I like. I also have to experience true hunger before mealtimes, and do very little eating just for the pleasure or comfort. It's hard. But it's not as hard as feeling constantly miserable about my figure and uncomfortable tight jeans.

Not true...I can eat more now and maintain than when I was bigger...

As for how much you eat how would you know you don't log...

And there is no reason to be actually hungry...ie True hunger which imho only is experienced when you are starving...

If you are not happy then you are doing something wrong...ie not logging, not choosing food that is satisfying and thinking you can't eat certian foods...
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I disagree. True hunger can be fixed with good food. I used to be hungry, eat crap, still be hungry, eat more crap. 30 minutes later I'm hungry. Now though if I feel hungry I know it is real, no way am I starving, but I need to eat. I eat good food and I am no longer hungry, and I will not be hungry for a few hours. This is a recent occurence and I am now confident in my ability to give up logging someday soon and trust my body to tell me what it needs.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 119 lbs. 107.5 lbs, which is the lowest healthy BMI, has a TDD of 1497. That's more than enough for me without exercise (and I'll never go below a healthy BMI). I work out a lot, though (because I love it). I'm into endurance events, i.e. triathlons, marathons, etc.
  • tigerblue
    Options

Actually ladies it easy to maintain 120 @ 5 ft 3...at high calories...my sister does it on 2500 calories a day...she is a size 2. She does Karate 2x a week, cardio x2 and a video once or twice...she works 40 hours a week and has lots of fun on the weekend...

I might be taller and heavier but in May my TDEE was 2137...it is now 2260...so I gained 130 calories in 4 months all due to exercise, losing fat and keeping muscle. The key is exercise and having the muscle mass required, hence the reason it is mentioned to do resistence training or weight lifting at the start of this...

You and your sister probably have good muscular bodies and low bodyfat percentage!

The lesson here for very young (teens and twenties) women that we should be getting out is "build muscle now while you are young"!

I sooo wish I had done that. But I was a naturally slim (good genes) young woman and so at the time I saw very little need to exercise (plus 30 years ago women were not told to lift anything heavier than about 5 lbs). So all I did was a few aerobic dance classes and walk my dog.

Fast forward 30 years and I am wishing I had built some muscle! It would make weight management sooo much easier! And I would look hotter, be stronger, have stronger bones, etc, etc!

So now at 47 I am trying to make up for lost time and build a bit of muscle so maintenance (and health) will be better. It is biologically much harder now. Not impossible, by any means, but harder.

If I knew then what I know now. . .
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Quite sure that even if I exercised a lot more than I already do (which is not happening), it would still not be enough calories for me. I'll just have to make do...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If I didn't exercise regularly then no...they wouldn't be enough. My non-exercise maintenance number is around 2300 - 2400 calories per day and that's not cutting it. I use the TDEE method and make sure I workout regularly. I generally lift 2-3 times per week and I ride around 80 miles per week on average...I thrive on around 2800 - 3000 calories per day which is awesome...
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", 109lb and maintain at over 2000 calories a day. I'm naturally active (so my Fitbit tells me) and also love working out - although this is not really where the bulk of my calories comes from.
    I do strength work already and love the difference it has made so will be looking to up my weight but not my dress size over the next year or so through a heavy lifting programme.

I've been maintaining at this current weight for about 3 years now and it's been absolutely fine.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

You and your sister probably have good muscular bodies and low bodyfat percentage!

The lesson here for very young (teens and twenties) women that we should be getting out is "build muscle now while you are young"!

I sooo wish I had done that. But I was a naturally slim (good genes) young woman and so at the time I saw very little need to exercise (plus 30 years ago women were not told to lift anything heavier than about 5 lbs). So all I did was a few aerobic dance classes and walk my dog.

Fast forward 30 years and I am wishing I had built some muscle! It would make weight management sooo much easier! And I would look hotter, be stronger, have stronger bones, etc, etc!

So now at 47 I am trying to make up for lost time and build a bit of muscle so maintenance (and health) will be better. It is biologically much harder now. Not impossible, by any means, but harder.

If I knew then what I know now. . .

Sorry try again...my BF% is probably currently at 25-26%...my sisters about 22%...

Wasn't much of an exerciser in my teens, have been overweight for 20 years..I am 42 and my sister is 44...

I have just started really exercising in the last 2 years...since I joined here actually...and my sister only did cardio up until she saw what resistence training did for me...

If anything we screwed ourselves in our 20's and 30's from fad diets...dropping weight too fast....and yo yoing a lot of weight...

If you want to eat more food exercise...do resistence training...start lifting some heavy stuff repeatedly...doesn't matter what age you are...