Running in winter

foxyforce
foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone have a technique for this? I just went running for the first time in the cold today and it was so hard to breathe.

Replies

• nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    For me it just took some time to get used to. When I started, I just did some short runs of 20-30 minutes. Now I am running much longer times and distances. I bundle up with some outdoor cold weather running clothes, gloves and a headband that covers my ears as well. Stick with it though, it gets easier!
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Granted, it's not nearly as cold here as it could be. I think this morning it was in the 20s. I wear light layers, earmuffs, and cotton gloves. I notice that for me, getting too bundled up causes me to overheat and I can't make it as far. For breathing, if it's really cold, soemtiems I'll wear a ski mask that coveres by mouth. I look like a criminal, lol, but it keeps the air slightly warmer going in. Either way, I tend to have a little cough for a few hours after I get back, just because my lungs are recovering. I also take a nice hot steamy shower right after to give my lungs a little help. I agree with nikki, you just kind of have to get used to it.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Breath in thru your nose and out thru your mouth. After a couple of times you will get use the breathin and it wont even hurt. Plus you may want to slow down your pace until you get use to it. Remember to wear ear protection and you may even want to consider either a beanie or a "headband" just someting to keep the heat in. Remember you lose your body heat thru your head first. It's all mind over matter. Just pace yourself and don't over dress because once your body heats up you don't want too many layers on! Otherwise you will feel extremly uncomfortable from sweating. And once you get done with your workout make sure you change your clothes don't keep your sweaty clothes on otherwise you can get sick fast. I've learned that runnin in the snow is really fun however really slow! So if you decided to do that prepare yourself because if it's only a mile long dependin on the amount of snow it can feel like it's taken ya 10 times longer then usual to complete! But great leg workout :happy:
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    I was training myself to do this not too long ago, then we got a massive snowstorm. One week later, and there is literally no place to run...still. I'm from an area away from the major city, so we don't get the perks of snow removal.

Honestly, it's a chore to walk without slipping or getting off balance, let alone running! I hope it melts up soon!

L.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    everyone had really great tips. I will definitely invest in a headband to cover my ears up...Or even just put my hood on for now. Thanks :)

I am happy I even woke up to run!
    Breath in thru your nose and out thru your mouth. After a couple of times you will get use the breathin and it wont even hurt. Plus you may want to slow down your pace until you get use to it. Remember to wear ear protection and you may even want to consider either a beanie or a "headband" just someting to keep the heat in. Remember you lose your body heat thru your head first. It's all mind over matter. Just pace yourself and don't over dress because once your body heats up you don't want too many layers on! Otherwise you will feel extremly uncomfortable from sweating. And once you get done with your workout make sure you change your clothes don't keep your sweaty clothes on otherwise you can get sick fast. I've learned that runnin in the snow is really fun however really slow! So if you decided to do that prepare yourself because if it's only a mile long dependin on the amount of snow it can feel like it's taken ya 10 times longer then usual to complete! But great leg workout :happy:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    There's not a lot of "technique" to it, just getting it done. Layers are key- I like to layer up on the bottom (i wear spandex shorts, my leggings, and a pair of lined wind breakers) and go lighter on the top, making the top layer easy to remove when you get warm- long sleeve under armor and another shirt (long or short sleeved depending on how cold I am) and a wind breaker that covers your neck. I got running gloves cuz they look cool, but anything that covers really works- for ear muffs I just use those elastic head bands.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.