Protein Powder replaces greek yogurt

Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Anyone who read some of my earlier posts will be amused by this, but I got my first bag of whey protein powder the other day. For various reasons (which I won't elaborate here), I am not a big fan of supplements, protein shakes, etc. I think they are unnecessary for most people and a waste of money. I don't necessarily judge anyone who chooses to use them for whatever reason, but I think many people treat them as "magic elixirs" (protein doesn't build muscle--training does) and when most people ask if they should use them, it's usually for the wrong reasons, so I don't encourage it.

But, economics trumps ideology. While I was in line at Costco the other day, I was standing next to the display for their whey protein. Doing the math, I quickly realized that I could get 27g of protein for appox $0.42 vs the Fage yogurt in mind hand, which delivered only 20g protein for about $1.40--and I still had to add stuff to the plain yogurt. So I made the switch. Given that it's Costco, I obviously have a buttload of whey protein to get through, but for $33, I figured it was worth a try. I am also looking to cut down my protein intake from other sources and thought this might help.

My stepson was amused and a little irked when he saw the giant bag on the counter. He had asked about using protein powder a few years earlier and we basically told him no. But that's also because he was only 14 or 15 at the time and his dad was encouraging him to do it because he was so thin. (That's what I mean by inappropriate use). Now, he is 19 going on 20 and is lifting weights 4 times a week with his roommate at college. So I said, sure, he can dip into the giant protein bag if he wants. Plenty to go around.

Replies

• YoderKatie
    YoderKatie Posts: 11 Member
    I love this post, as a fitness professional I rarely EVER encourage people to use supplements or protein, unless their training needs it (like my marathon training). And since I don't eat much meat, a lot of my protein comes from plant sources (nuts, beans, etc) which is high in fat (although unsaturated, still). Protein powders are a great way to get the after training protein needed without the 15g of fat from 1/4 cup of almonds.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Yeah, it's sad but true - these powders are the most economical means of getting protein into the gut. I don't allow my kids access to it, but I'll have protein shakes here and there simply b/c it's a convenient, quick and cheap way to get the reqs for protein in. I prefer cottage cheese and chicken breast as my main sources but you need to eat a lot of both those things to get the same grams as one of these shakes.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    if you don't mind my asking, what kind was it and how does it taste/mix?
  • Azdak

Not sure--I just looked at the label and it was low in sugar (1 or 2 g), low in calories per serving (130). Costco sells a lot of muscle milk products, so I suspect it comes out of that conglomerate. I have looked at some of the shakes, etc in the past and decided against it because they were expensive or full of sugar or high in calories or all 3. As far as taste, it's absolutely fine just stirred in water.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member

Not sure--I just looked at the label and it was low in sugar (1 or 2 g), low in calories per serving (130). Costco sells a lot of muscle milk products, so I suspect it comes out of that conglomerate. I have looked at some of the shakes, etc in the past and decided against it because they were expensive or full of sugar or high in calories or all 3. As far as taste, it's absolutely fine just stirred in water.
    I appreciate the info. I might have to "borrow" my roommate's costco membership.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    So what are the right reasons?

I use a pea/rice protein powder as opposed to whey. But it's more so convenience for me. I don't always have time to cook and egg and eat it, but I can have my kids mix up in the blender for me while getting ready in the AM and grab it on my way out the door. I found it was better to use the protein powder than to skip meals.

I'm just interested to know what the correct reasons would be.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member

I use a pea/rice protein powder as opposed to whey. But it's more so convenience for me. I don't always have time to cook and egg and eat it, but I can have my kids mix up in the blender for me while getting ready in the AM and grab it on my way out the door. I found it was better to use the protein powder than to skip meals.

I think you are using the "right" reasons. I don't think that it is necessary for everyone to run out and buy protein powder. But, for convenience and price, it's just right.

Most people don't get enough protein in their diet through meat or veggie sources without overloading on fats or carbs, but the right protein powder can do just that. Plus, I personally use it after a workout and it is much quicker than cooking up some chicken or fish when I want something now.

I think the "wrong" reasons would include people who drink it like water to "gain muscle." I know some people who think that is like "muscle in a package" and will drink it before, during, and after a workout and actually think that it helps them lift more during their workout. :noway:

My best friend has a child who is VERY small. I mean, she's 7 years old and struggling to get over 50 pounds. She's a picky eater, so my friend gives her these as extra calories throughout the day as opposed to sugary drinks, those horrible bad-for-you kid snacks and lunches...but she's doing this with doctor's orders and doctor's supervision. Personally I think Angie is just going to be a short person, since she's not unhealthy at all, and that my friend shouldn't worry so much...but to each their own, eh?
  • Azdak

I was specifically referring to a 14 year old being told to drink protein shakes because that will make him bigger and more muscular. That's a classic cliche. First of all, most teenagers consume more than sufficient food to get all the protein they could ever need from a regular diet, Second, 14 yr olds do not produce enough hormones to substantially build muscle mass, even with strength training.

I have also seen many comments from people who think of protein supplements as having some "magic" power above and beyond just consuming protein from normal food sources. Or they write how they need to buy some overpriced "shake" so that they can "build lean muscle" and "burn more fat at rest". So there you have a trifecta of wrong.

Protein has specific benefits in a weight-loss program. That is one area where, quite frankly, I had to catch up with some of the research when I started investigating this subject in more detail 18 mos ago. There is evidence that 1.0-1.5 grams a day per kg of body weight can enhance a diet and exercise program.

On a calorie-restricted diet, it can be a challenge to take in enough protein with regular food, especially with busy work schedules. Protein also provides a feeling of satiety that can help manage calorie intake. And finally, as I determined, within an overall plan, bulk whey protein can be a cheaper alternative to regular food (given that protein is usually the most expensive part of the food budget).

So, the use of "right" and "wrong" in this case might not be the best choice. I was just trying to separate fact from fiction, so people can make good choices.

(Actually, I started this thread mostly to make fun of myself, when, after so many years of resisting, I finally broke down and got the Giant Protein Bag from Costco--mainly because it was cheap).
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Azdak - Thanks, I truly appreciate your insight and all of your very educational posts. It's great to have a "resource" which doesn't talk down to those of us without your training.

I had no clue as to people using them to build or gain muscle.

I give my kids smoothie, but it's a means to avoid a sugary cereal. Both boys have celiac disease so it's hard to find breakfast items which are appropriate and that they can make themselves. My boys are very underweight and we don't do much dairy in our home and try to avoid soy as well.

I wish I had known smoothies were and option when I was pregnant with GD, the dietician told me to eat chili for breakfast :) LOL.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Also my whey protein powder also also has enzyme. I found that my body recovers time faster if I take protein drink after a hard or heavy WL better.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    I bought protein powder for the first time (always thought they were just for body builders). I bought it because no matter what I did I couldn't get my protein up. I found a 1.6lb container of Pure Protein all natural Whey for $20 bucks at Target. It does have 5g of sugar but my added sugar intake stays pretty low (most of the time!) so it hasn't hurt it. It has 23g of protein, 130 calories and 1.5g of fat. I won't do more than a scoop per day - usually in a glass of skim milk. The 130 calories is also helping me get my caloric intake up also. I was having a heck of a time just getting to 1200 and I'm trying to eat my BMR calories the exercise down to around 1200 or so since I'm not overweight.
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    LOVE this thread! I totally believe too many people use Protein Powder incorrectly, and for some reason it drives me just crazy...oh well...thanks!
This discussion has been closed.