Whey protein drinks used for meal replacement?

Options
This is probably a "dumb" question, but here goes...

I'm curious if anyone uses the whey protein drink for a meal replacement. I started drinking these 3 days ago on a friend's advice. They give me a ton of energy which I love. I find that when I have one of these at lunch time that I am so full and satisfied that I don't eat anything else for lunch. Is this *one* of the purposes of protein shakes (I know there are many more)? I'm still getting all my healthy fruits and veggies and lean meat in my diet. Nothing is being subtracted to make room for the shake.

Replies

• debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I can't answer this and I apologize, but would love to see answers so I wanted to respond to see the others' responses.

Thanks for posting.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what you mean by meal replacement. Sounds like you are using exactly as intended, as a supplement, if you are still eating veggies and lean meats.
  • nmpresto
    nmpresto Posts: 157
    Options
    I have tried to do that but I am starving shortly after. I usually use it as a "supplement" and not a "replacement" but if you are getting all the nutrients you need and you are feeling good I don't see why it wouldn't be acceptable to use it as a replacement.

Can I ask which whey protein you are using? I might have to try it :)
  • zach1356
    zach1356 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have about 3 whey protein shakes a day, but not as meal replacement. I use them to meet my protein requirements for the day (around 200 grams). They are about 120 cals a serving, and I don't find them particularly filling, but if you do, that is great. There are actually meal replacement shakes (MRP's) that are around 200 cals a shake. They fill me up for a few hours. Syntha-6 makes an incredible tasting shake, I would highly recommend it. You can find it at bodybuilding.com supplements section or your local GNC store.
  • SillySarah
    Options
    This is probably a "dumb" question, but here goes...

I'm curious if anyone uses the whey protein drink for a meal replacement. I started drinking these 3 days ago on a friend's advice. They give me a ton of energy which I love. I find that when I have one of these at lunch time that I am so full and satisfied that I don't eat anything else for lunch. Is this *one* of the purposes of protein shakes (I know there are many more)? I'm still getting all my healthy fruits and veggies and lean meat in my diet. Nothing is being subtracted to make room for the shake.

These mixes/RTD shakes are designed to be dietary supplements meaning that you can use them to as meal replacements or to increase your consumption of protein and other nutrients.

Depending on your specific goals you can use them to lose weight while maintaining lean muscle mass or gain weight by increasing lean muscle mass.

I make 1 chocolate whey protein smoothie as my afternoon snack each day and it keeps me feeling full until suppertime. As long as you're not replacing all of your meals with them, you should be fine.
  • Fit2_T
    Fit2_T Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm using vanilla flavored NNW Healthy 100% Whey with stevia. Maybe I am getting so full because my "shake" is 16 ounces. :laugh:

I have 16 ounces of decaf coffee mixed with 1 package of diet hot chocolate mix and 1 scoop of vanilla whey powder. This is about 130 calories. And it makes me want to get up and exercise which is not my usual mentality!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I've tried using them as a meal replacement, but I don't feel satisfied with a liquid meal. I'm always hungry an hour later, so I basically use them as a post-workout snack. I like to mix peanut butter into my chocolate whey protein. It's like a delicious dessert! I also mix in some fresh fruit with the vanilla protein powder for a yummy smoothie.

I admit, I haven't been consuming them as much since I started MFP because I need foods with more volume to make me feel satisifed. A shame... I've got a huge container that needs used up!*LOL*

Shannon