Opinions on my eating plan

Options

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    So, in a nutshell, your plan is to guess your intake and cross your fingers?
  • daniellerusbult2
    daniellerusbult2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of research, read many forums on here and on many many websites, and I think I've come up with a good plan for myself. I'd like to know what you guys think (honest opinions!).

First, I know how people feel about 1200 calorie/day diets, but I promise you, I eat entirely veggies and lean meats on the 1200 calorie diet. So there is a LOT of food that goes into my body on those days.

I am a 25 year old female. When I weighed 154 a couple years ago, I probably had around 10-15lbs to lose while lifting to be toned and fit.

I weigh 191 now, but I do not look BIG by any means. My BMR is 1687 right now.

Plan:
    Month 1: 1200 calories of lean meat, veggies and a little dairy only
    Month 2: 1500 calories of primarily lean meat and veggies, adding in a little whole grain and more dairy
    Month 3: 1600 calories of primarily lean meat and veggies, whole grain and dairy
    Month 4: 1600 calories of primarily lean meat and veggies, whole grain and dairy to maintain weight

I feel like I have 40-50lbs to lose TOTAL. My workout plan is 6 days/week. 45 minutes of Cardio 5x/week, lifting 3x-4x/week.

Also, I use olive oil and seeds for the right measure of fat in my diet.

I think you need to speak to a qualified nutritionist/trainer about this (there might be one on here, I found mine on the The Protein Works forum and have benefited greatly from his guidance), the internet has a very wide range of thoughts and views on nutrition and training. Some of it is good, a lot of it isn't and will contradict something else you've read. And the important thing to take from this is that very little of the information out there is specifically for you, your body, your weight, etc. It's just a general guide. I'm not saying what you've said is wrong for you - it's not my place to say. But I think you should seek our expert guidance on this.

I didn't know there was a chance to find a nutritionist on here, actually! I've gotten feedback from trainers and whatnot, but I think I'll try to seek another professional opinion. Thanks!
  • daniellerusbult2
    Options

yes, exactly!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Or do a set meal plan. And then TDEE when life changes.

ETA - I'm not sure how to do TDEE without tracking calories. I guess it's a set meal plan forever?
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not sure why you're asking for opinions if you clearly already have all the answers and know yourself so well. People are recommending you eat more (and who wouldn't want to?) and you can STILL lose weight. 1200 isn't enough for your body to basically function long term, and you're talking about exercising on top of that.

MFP is available to you to input everything you eat, you can set your own ratios for your macros, and helps you calculate what your calorie goal should be based on your goals to lose. Your eating plan is really up to you to figure out on YOUR preferences.

Yeah, I suppose I figured out that nobody will know what's best for me.. and that's why I said I'm not asking for opinions anymore :)

I don't have time for MFP logging all the time. And you're right, 1200 isn't enough for my body to function long term... which is probably why I'm not doing it long term.

I'm not on here to fight with anyone, but when opinions differ, there will be conversation on that. Everyone is just getting stuck on the short term 1200 calorie plan, that they can't see anything else beyond that.

Hmmm.. I think you misunderstood. People are not stuck on 1200 or put blinders on everything else once they see the number, they are stuck on the fact that you plan to eat at a that amount have a "fully balanced diet". Many people had their opinion on cutting out certain food groups (I.e Milk and grains). But do what you want. If you see you get tired, up your cals.

Friendly tip: Research glycogene and muscle loss.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,237 Member
    Options
    I am not going to read the whole thread, but the amount of activity you are suggesting and the calories you are proposing will lead to problems. Yes they are "healthy" calories but that does not change the fact that sufficient amount is needed to replenish and rebuild your body after exercise. If this works for you, all power to you, but at the same time, it looks like something that will last for a short time, and then you will have problems with energy levels, getting workouts in, and the like.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I totally get the wanting to "jump start" thing. Motivation is a huge deal for me- a few weeks of healthy restriction at the beginning can be really helpful mentally and isn't necessarily bad for you at all. People on MFP can be very cliquey about their chosen methods....there are many ways to lose weight and be healthy and it is totally okay to do what works for your personal health.

I'm curious if you plan to eat back any calories? I am set at 1200 in an effort to lose a few pounds quickly for motivation, but I am still eating back at least a portion of exercise calories. You may want to consider working that into your plan if you exercise as much as you are hoping too. Even 45 minutes of cardio might really wear you out!

Re: your hormonal issues- lowiish carb (30-40%) can be really helpful for hormone fluctuations because of the interactions between carbs, insulin, and hormones. I'm not doctor, but it seems to be helping me as I transition off of the birth control pill.

Good luck!
  • daniellerusbult2
    Options
    I totally get the wanting to "jump start" thing. Motivation is a huge deal for me- a few weeks of healthy restriction at the beginning can be really helpful mentally and isn't necessarily bad for you at all. People on MFP can be very cliquey about their chosen methods....there are many ways to lose weight and be healthy and it is totally okay to do what works for your personal health.

I'm curious if you plan to eat back any calories? I am set at 1200 in an effort to lose a few pounds quickly for motivation, but I am still eating back at least a portion of exercise calories. You may want to consider working that into your plan if you exercise as much as you are hoping too. Even 45 minutes of cardio might really wear you out!

Re: your hormonal issues- lowiish carb (30-40%) can be really helpful for hormone fluctuations because of the interactions between carbs, insulin, and hormones. I'm not doctor, but it seems to be helping me as I transition off of the birth control pill.

Good luck!

THIS is the kind of helpful opinion I was looking for! You're right. I may end up eating back my cardio calories and letting my lifting calories take a deficit.

I never knew the low carb and hormone balance bit. That's really helpful, thank you!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    The problem with the TDEE is that it's not constant. Some weeks, I'm able to work out every day, sometimes twice a day. Other weeks, I'm unable to exercise at all. BMR is constant. When someone has so much fat on them, it's okay to be under BMR a bit.
    Hell, I might not even do it for 3 weeks.
    So you read the part where I said to find your sedentary TDEE, right?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of research, read many forums on here and on many many websites, and I think I've come up with a good plan for myself. I'd like to know what you guys think (honest opinions!).

First, I know how people feel about 1200 calorie/day diets, but I promise you, I eat entirely veggies and lean meats on the 1200 calorie diet. So there is a LOT of food that goes into my body on those days.

I am a 25 year old female. When I weighed 154 a couple years ago, I probably had around 10-15lbs to lose while lifting to be toned and fit.

I weigh 191 now, but I do not look BIG by any means. My BMR is 1687 right now.

Plan:
    Month 1: 1200 calories of lean meat, veggies and a little dairy only
    Month 2: 1500 calories of primarily lean meat and veggies, adding in a little whole grain and more dairy
    Month 3: 1600 calories of primarily lean meat and veggies, whole grain and dairy
    Month 4: 1600 calories of primarily lean meat and veggies, whole grain and dairy to maintain weight

I feel like I have 40-50lbs to lose TOTAL. My workout plan is 6 days/week. 45 minutes of Cardio 5x/week, lifting 3x-4x/week.

Also, I use olive oil and seeds for the right measure of fat in my diet.
    Why make it so complicated?
  • likitisplit
    Options

Good luck!

THIS is the kind of helpful opinion I was looking for! You're right. I may end up eating back my cardio calories and letting my lifting calories take a deficit.

I never knew the low carb and hormone balance bit. That's really helpful, thank you!

tumblr_n85kfxs3YA1t4o62mo1_400.gif
  • daniellerusbult2
    Options

Good luck!

Is this your form of helpful criticism? After looking through your forum posts, it seems as though you just want to argue with people. Kindly, please stop posting. I've got the information I wanted and needed.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Good luck!

Is this your form of helpful criticism? After looking through your forum posts, it seems as though you just want to argue with people. Kindly, please stop posting. I've got the information I wanted and needed.

Yay! I got called a mean people today!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Yay! I got called a mean people today!

Because you are such a meanie. How DARE you try to help someone or post a funny cat gif. I mean, seriously. Who needs humor.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Are you just blatantly ignoring the folks that have had incredible success with moderate deficit, logging foods, and spending time trying to help others out on the forum?

I'll ask again if you actually read my initial response about finding your sedentary TDEE.

I'll also point out that eating at/under BMR is fine for the morbidly obese folks.

You have 50 lbs to lose and you just want to lose it fast.

You posted a somewhat overly complicated plan and have had people tell you so, except now you don't want any more opinions.

You can accept the help you've been offered , or just float on with hopes that other people will just pat you on your head for the plan you've come up with.

Choice is yours, but there are a few of us that know what we're talking about. Liktisplit is one. Take a look at the tickers showing amounts lost here, and decide who to listen to.

Hell, between _Zardoz_ and I, we've lost damn near 300 lbs.

Keep in mind, there are plenty of us that have done it wrong plenty of times. We came here and learned how not to do it wrong anymore.
    You can listen if you want to now, or come back and we'll tell you the same thing later.
    giphy.gif
  • daniellerusbult2
    Options
    Not at all calling you mean. I said you like to argue. I'm not here for that, nor am I here to be childish.

And I have a great sense of humor, just not when people like to gang up on others. Just like you two just did lol. Good job :)

I'm officially off this thread. Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback! I've got a different plan in mind now, that I think will be much more beneficial!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Are you just blatantly ignoring the folks that have had incredible success with moderate deficit, logging foods, and spending time trying to help others out on the forum?

I'll ask again if you actually read my initial response about finding your sedentary TDEE.

I'll also point out that eating at/under BMR is fine for the morbidly obese folks.

You have 50 lbs to lose and you just want to lose it fast.

You posted a somewhat overly complicated plan and have had people tell you so, except now you don't want any more opinions.

You can accept the help you've been offered , or just float on with hopes that other people will just pat you on your head for the plan you've come up with.

Choice is yours, but there are a few of us that know what we're talking about. Liktisplit is one. Take a look at the tickers showing amounts lost here, and decide who to listen to.

Hell, between _Zardoz_ and I, we've lost damn near 300 lbs.

Keep in mind, there are plenty of us that have done it wrong plenty of times. We came here and learned how not to do it wrong anymore.
    You can listen if you want to now, or come back and we'll tell you the same thing later.
    giphy.gif

OP also appears to be ignoring likitisplit's fantastic breakdown of her macro needs and how hard they'll be to fit into her plan. But that's okay, because she got the helpful advice (read:validation) she needed from a later poster.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    How does being off the depo shot for a year equate to a hormone imbalance?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Correction: I'm here to improve my body composition - I lost the 45 pounds that you want to lose and maintained it for over a year.

I provided a detailed explanation of how your plan will not meet your nutritional needs with actual math.

I pointed out a critical hole in your entire strategy (not logging).

My enjoyment of the rich debate this site has to offer is kind of beside the point.