Chronic pain exercises?

Options
Hello everyone!

I have fibromyalgia and finding exercise that doesn't send me into a screaming flare has been very difficult. I have not yet tolerated yoga in a class, but I would love to hear of any videos you've found success with. Also, I'd love to know about any other classes/videos/types of exercise that you find helpful!

I don't want to do pool work because I have very thick, long hair that takes days to wash and dry. It's too much of an energy suck for me. It's like a "five spoon" activity. And putting it up doesn't seem to keep it from getting wet, especially in "water aerobics" type classes.

Thanks!

Replies

• DoNotBurnTheDay
    DoNotBurnTheDay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I had downloaded the DDP Yoga program and was doing that and saw great results. It is a little more of a manly version of yoga, so I was totally cool with doing it ... LoL. He is a former professional wrestler and the moves are named after wrestling moves (but still yoga). As for other yoga's I had tried the ones in P90X and such, all are pretty good. I just have a hard time finding the time to actually push play on the videos. :(
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I had downloaded the DDP Yoga program and was doing that and saw great results. It is a little more of a manly version of yoga, so I was totally cool with doing it ... LoL. He is a former professional wrestler and the moves are named after wrestling moves (but still yoga). As for other yoga's I had tried the ones in P90X and such, all are pretty good. I just have a hard time finding the time to actually push play on the videos. :(

Are they gentle? I have a serious problem with neck/shoulder and hip pain when doing yoga. It may be poses, or my body just can't quite take it.
  • DoNotBurnTheDay
    DoNotBurnTheDay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Are they gentle? I have a serious problem with neck/shoulder and hip pain when doing yoga. It may be poses, or my body just can't quite take it.

Yeah, for the most part, I don't remember too much hip or neck issues. Shoulders were worked quite a bit though. If you do it, just do what you can, make modifications into positions you can do during ones you can't. More about being active than anything I think. :)
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and I found aquatic physical therapy helpful. My hair never gets wet. Aquatic PT doesn't involve any splashing, and you only go in 4 feet of water. I just put my hair up in a clip. You need to get a prescription from your doctor. It isn't a group class, it is physical therapy geared for your specific needs, but done in warm water.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Ps, when I got strong enough, they moved me into regular physical therapy, done on land. My exercises are geared specifically for me. They teach me gentle stretches, some of which are yoga poses. They also have me doing strengthening and cardio, all geared for my specific needs, and they take my fibro into account.
  • Kaelakcr
    Options
    I have fibro and I found aquatic physical therapy helpful. My hair never gets wet. Aquatic PT doesn't involve any splashing, and you only go in 4 feet of water. I just put my hair up in a clip. You need to get a prescription from your doctor. It isn't a group class, it is physical therapy geared for your specific needs, but done in warm water.

That sounds AMAZING. I didn't even realize that exists! I will ask my doctor. She is happy to work with me because I've tried pretty much everything lol.
  • Kaelakcr
    Options
    Bump?
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I know this is probably a stupid question but are you taking anything for pain management? If not I have a friend and she suffers from FM also and she smokes pot, it helps her with the pain...
  • Kaelakcr
    Options
    I know this is probably a stupid question but are you taking anything for pain management? If not I have a friend and she suffers from FM also and she smokes pot, it helps her with the pain...

I'm 23, so no doctors will take my pain seriously, unfortunately. No pain medications for me, and I don't tolerate cannabis, unfortunately! I wish I did, it's legal in my state. But it gives me a speeding heart rate and (even more) oversensitive nerves. I stop being able to feel the difference between hot & cold and everything feels like needles. It's super weird.