Scared to Eat More Than 1,000 Calories

Options
13»

Replies

• bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many are quick to shout "ED!" here. Personally, I have lost weight twice by eating 900-1000 calories a day, I felt just fine, and had normal physicals. Once I got to maintaining I ate a normal amount of calories each day (about 1,500-1,800). I have never been in bad health and I didn't lose weight when I ate more than that a day even with exercise.

And your losing weight again, I see. How's this pattern working for you?

I would also question the logging accuracy of claimed intake.

OP, the part that's disordered is your fear of eating more and the fact that 1000 calories and below is NOT enough for anyone to function on who isn't somehow compromised and need medical supervision. I agree with the others that finding a doctor to explain to you how and why you need to properly fuel yourself is in order

It actually worked perfectly until I got a desk job after having a physical one for 12 years. I gained weight because of no activity/office snacks and parties. I'm doing the same 900-1,000 calorie a day diet that worked before along with 30 minutes a day of exercise. You can question my accuracy all you want, but trust me I'm meticulous about every single calorie. I just want the poster to know that I feel fine working out with 1,000 calories and am in perfect health and it's not ALWAYS a terrible thing. Everyone is different.

Just so I understand here.....

You kept your intake at 1000 calories and started gaining because you got a desk job?

Please tell me you're eating back at least some of your exercise cals on top of this.

I have a desk job and eat 2000+ cals a day, and Ive been at goal weight for 2 years. Desk job is a crap excuse

Wasn't an excuse, I was just explaining why I had to lose weight again since inquiring minds wanted to know. I know it's not an excuse, but it was just me having to learn to live differently. I really thought we were supposed to be encouraging on these posts, not demeaning and telling people their reason for gaining weight is stupid.
  • aliu00
    Options
    healthy weight control is a life style change. Skip meals will only make things worse in the long run. A consistent weight watch exercises, and nutritional meals are the key!
  • APLAWING
    Options
    Hi, all. I am two months into my health and fitness journey, and so far, I have lost 15 pounds. I am at a healthy weight now, but I am still 15 pounds from my ultimate goal weight. My problem is that I am scared to eat more than 1,000 calories a day. On most days, I eat 800 - 1,000 calories (I never eat less than 800 calories, so it isn't too extreme), but when I eat any more than that, even one calorie over, I feel like a failure. In my mind, I know that I could eat up to 1,500 calories a day and still lose weight (it just might take longer), but I am so scared that eating a single calorie more than 1,000 a day will make me plateau, or worse, gain weight. It is so hard to stick to a 1,000-calorie diet that I skip meals, restrict all high-calorie foods regardless of whether or not they are healthy (e.g., I refuse to eat bananas, nuts, etc., even in moderation), etc. to avoid going over my daily limit. I know that this isn't healthy for my body or my mind, so what can I do to change?

It's all in your mind; it sounds like the beginning stages of anorexia. Anorexia is a mind game and is complete torture. It will consume your life and ruin relationships. Please get it under control before it gets out of hand. I know how you feel: It's all you think about 24/7. You eat, sleep and breathe diet. It's an addiction. You are terrified of gaining weight. If you don't work out you may feel guilty about it all day. You may eat a little over your calorie allotment and feel that you need to go run to burn the calories off. You might think that you instantly look fat after you eat something that you shouldn't have, even though common sense tells you it's impossible for your body to have changed over one meal... I'm saying this out of genuine concern not to be rude. I've been there personally 10 years ago. Get some help, talk to someone. And take control of your mind. You are smart and you know deep down that this isn't the right way or you wouldn't have reached out for help. Feel free to add me if you need support. <3
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I will seriously consider going to a doctor. I don't think I have an eating disorder, but I will admit that I have always had an unhealthy relationship with food. Since junior high school (I am now in college), I have been stuck in a vicious cycle of binging, restricting, binging, restricting; there has never been an in between. I think I need to face the truth and finally seek help. In the mean time, I think I am going to follow the advice that some of you have given me and increase my daily calories by 50 - 100 each week until I feel comfortable eating a "normal" amount of calories (1,200 - 1,400) a day. Thanks again.

good for you - if you are in college - can you go to student health services? I am sure they see a lot of students with the same issue and can help you

good luck
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many are quick to shout "ED!" here. Personally, I have lost weight twice by eating 900-1000 calories a day, I felt just fine, and had normal physicals. Once I got to maintaining I ate a normal amount of calories each day (about 1,500-1,800). I have never been in bad health and I didn't lose weight when I ate more than that a day even with exercise.
    I am not shouting "ED!"

The OP has said that she is scared of eating a reasonable amount of food and that she has a history of restricting and binging. Although indicative of EDs, we can't diagnose her. We can suggest that if you (general you, not You you) have that history and are afraid to eat a reasonable amount of food, seeing a therapist is a great idea.

A lot of people don't catch their food issues and end up weighing 300 pounds or being starved to skin and bones. I give the OP mega props for recognizing that she has some kind of issue and deciding to seek some help.

Your way sounds wonderful for you, but her way doesn't seem to be working for her. She is doing the smart thing for her.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I say this in the nicest way possible, but you need to see someone for your disordered pattern of eating.
    This. OP, please talk with a professional.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    If you dint lose weight eating more than 1000 calories a day, you either have a severe medical issue, are about 4 ft tall, or you were grossly underestimating food intake. My guess is the latter.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    You need to eat a minimum of 1,200/day calories to be healthy. Sounds like you may have an eating disorder.... seek professional help immediately. Bless.

I eat 1199 calories a day and I don't think I'm going to die in the next 15 minutes.
    19 years old male and you eat so little? Why?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I will seriously consider going to a doctor. I don't think I have an eating disorder, but I will admit that I have always had an unhealthy relationship with food. Since junior high school (I am now in college), I have been stuck in a vicious cycle of binging, restricting, binging, restricting; there has never been an in between. I think I need to face the truth and finally seek help. In the mean time, I think I am going to follow the advice that some of you have given me and increase my daily calories by 50 - 100 each week until I feel comfortable eating a "normal" amount of calories (1,200 - 1,400) a day. Thanks again.
    This = unhealthy
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    when I went to a GP about why I was not losing weight on a 250 deficit, I was told by the medical professional to drop my intake to 1000 a day maximum, lets just say I will not be seeing that GP again.... so just saying that even if you do seek medical help, they may decide that your calorie levels are ok, its weird but it seems that even though humans in the western world seems to be getting fatter, medical professionals seem to be answering this by lowering calories to half of original daily intake, ie 2000 down to 1000
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You need to eat a minimum of 1,200/day calories to be healthy. Sounds like you may have an eating disorder.... seek professional help immediately. Bless.

I eat 1199 calories a day and I don't think I'm going to die in the next 15 minutes.
    19 years old male and you eat so little? Why?

I am fairly certain that was complete sarcasm because of the incorrect blanket statement about 1200 calories being the minimum for all